• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IRR to SELRES - documenting FITREP continuity gap?

snake020

Contributor
Someone I was talking to drill weekend mentioned that there is a form or letter to add to your record if you have a FITREP continuity gap due to time in the IRR, but couldn't provide specifics. Anyone else hear of this? Or should I just have my CO document the gap and transition in the narrative of my first SELRES FITREP?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might be worth a brief blurb in the write up of your first SELRES FITREP, and also asking your CO whether he/she thinks it’s worth addressing in a letter to the board when you’re up for promotion. I know there’s varying opinions about board letter phraseology, and my front office was of the “less is more” school of thought. It’s a question of whether you’re gaining any mileage out of briefly explaining why you had the gap, or just unnecessarily drawing attention to a flaw in your record. Which is usually bad juju.

the fitrep blurb, AND a brief letter saying something like "fitrep gap fm XX to YY corresponds to time in the IRR-ASP" or something.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm a bit of an expert on not getting selected for promotion...I suspect that five years in the IRR with no fitreps will be a killer for you no matter what at the board, but I could be wrong.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the fitrep blurb, AND a brief letter saying something like "fitrep gap fm XX to YY corresponds to time in the IRR-ASP" or something.
Yeah, just don't be like "my FITREP gap from XX to YY was because of this horrible life circumstance, or this time I took to backpack the Hindu Kush and find myself," or somesuch. I've been told your briefer reads that letter verbatim to the board.

What my CoC told me about board letters was don't insult your briefer's intelligence by including stuff everyone knows, and don't put a sob story in for the members. Just put something like "Per reference (a), please include enclosures (1) to (whatever) in my official record for consideration by the FY-XX Ready Reserve O-X Unrestricted Line Promotion Selection Board. The following information is provided to assist the board: [blah blah; keep it brief and non-whiny if it's even needed]." And then something about how you strongly desire to serve in positions of increased responsibility in the rank of X, and thanking the board in a non-obsequious manner for their consideration.

Then STFU and GTFO.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Someone I was talking to drill weekend mentioned that there is a form or letter to add to your record if you have a FITREP continuity gap due to time in the IRR, but couldn't provide specifics. Anyone else hear of this? Or should I just have my CO document the gap and transition in the narrative of my first SELRES FITREP?
Head over to SailorBob.com and pose your question in the ReServe forum. You'll get the gouge in under 24 hours.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm a bit of an expert on not getting selected for promotion...I suspect that five years in the IRR with no fitreps will be a killer for you no matter what at the board, but I could be wrong.

It really depends. I think the SELRES promotion boards are very forgiving for these circumstances and understand people take breaks before deciding to serve again. Vice Admiral Burke (CNP) is interested in Sailors coming back into the Navy and Navy Reserve, both enlisted and officer. These individuals might have acquired skills from the civilian sector who can bring these abilities to their teams.

I concur with a simple letter to the board. No need for a long "Forrest Gump" style story, but at least make sure the board understands the gap. The OP might get FOS this board, but assuming he can get a solid FITREP next cycle should hopefully have a better chance the second time.

It really depends. I think the SELRES promotion boards are very forgiving for these circumstances and understand people take breaks before deciding to serve again. Vice Admiral Burke (CNP) is interested in Sailors coming back into the Navy and Navy Reserve, both enlisted and officer. These individuals might have acquired skills from the civilian sector who can bring these abilities to their teams.

I concur with a simple letter to the board. No need for a long "Forrest Gump" style story, but at least make sure the board understands the gap. The OP might get FOS this board, but assuming he can get a solid FITREP next cycle should hopefully have a better chance the second time.
I’m not trying to be a killjoy...but I think it’s pretty tough to recover from a big fitrep gap. The OP probably isn’t eligible to sit on an 0-5 board, but doing ADT as an asset recorder on O-4 or maybe O-6 would probably answer a lot of questions. It also seems like if he’s interested in making O-5, paying for an AUSN (or whatever they’re called) records review would be worth it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not trying to be a killjoy...but I think it’s pretty tough to recover from a big fitrep gap. The OP probably isn’t eligible to sit on an 0-5 board, but doing ADT as an asset recorder on O-4 or maybe O-6 would probably answer a lot of questions. It also seems like if he’s interested in making O-5, paying for an AUSN (or whatever they’re called) records review would be worth it.

I've seen more guys than not with significant FITREP gaps get promoted lately, a good buddy was completely out for 5 years and got O-5 on his first look.

I concur with everyone else, a short and simple letter to the board is likely the best option.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... completely out for 5 years and got O-5 on his first look.

I concur with everyone else, a short and simple letter to the board is likely the best option.
Can probably keep it down to four words...

tenor.gif

Don't even have to use "flawlessly," "enabled," or "acumen." Just keep it short and sweet and speak from the heart.

snake020

Contributor
I'm going to need to write a letter to the board anyway given how painful it is to get anyone at PERS to add documents to my OMPF. Appreciate everyone's input.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm going to need to write a letter to the board anyway given how painful it is to get anyone at PERS to add documents to my OMPF. Appreciate everyone's input.
I'd consider the spiteful approach if I were in your shoes. Knowing that they are obliged to read the entire contents of your letter, you could document everything in excruciating detail, 5Ws for every step of the way kind of detail... make it so obnoxiously long that they'd have to take a break for the board members to make head calls.

snake020

Contributor
I'd consider the spiteful approach if I were in your shoes. Knowing that they are obliged to read the entire contents of your letter, you could document everything in excruciating detail, 5Ws for every step of the way kind of detail... make it so obnoxiously long that they'd have to take a break for the board members to make head calls.

Still, would be an effective "don't pick me" letter.