• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro: Questions about OCS/ general admission into NAVY

Holton Graham

Greetings all,

My name is Holton Graham and I have taken my first few steps in possibly enlisting in the NAVY; hopefully as an officer.
I am 26, a college graduate from FSU and soon to be a graduate of the welding program at Lively Technical College.
Everyone I have spoken to thus far has been super helpful and straight forward, which has made this process fairly easy, but I do have some questions that I am hoping this forum could help answer.

1. How much prep. is required/recommended for the OAR test; my recruiter sent me a practice test and it is clear I need to brush up on some of this math.
  2. How hard is it to get accepted into Officer Candidate School?
3.When does Basic Training occur for those who do get accepted into OCS (having not been an enlisted man first)?
  1. How strict are the medical screenings? When and how do they drug test?
  2. Would a position as a SWO officer help me at least use some of my welding and mechanical skills/knowledge?
  3. Would a position as a SWO officer better prepare me for job prospects, post-NAVY?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Since this info is all over the website and a quick search would provide the vast majority of the answers you want, I should just skip this.

If you want to be an officer, do not enlisted appply only for OCS. If you do not enlist, there is no basic training and no commitment if you do not get accepted for OCS. Do not let a recruiter tell you you have to enlist or that it is easier if you enlist. This is pure bullshit.

My public service is done. No get off your ass and show some initiative. Do some searches and find your answers. Then come back and ask questions about those few things, if any, not already answered in the past. Officers demonstrate initiative.

And if you ask a “what are my chances?”, “what percent?” or something similar, the answer is 42. It’s always 42.

exNavyOffRec

It sounds as if your Officer Recruiter (if he was a real OR) did not even the bare minimum in his job, if he puts that little effort into a person that is interested in being an officer than I would find another OR as it takes little time to explain the basics to an applicant.

• Prep time is different for everyone
  • Depends on your degree, gpa, and hopefully no negative issues.
  • Medical screenings are strict and all the time.
  • probably not as that isn't your job.
  • Just about anyone that is a moderately successful officer will have good prospects after serving.

Most important is if you want to be officer you generally don't want to enlist.