• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro Flights Around Atlanta?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm glad to see that everything fell into place and that you enjoyed the flight so much! And that the weather in Atlanta worked out today... because it's rain and tornado watches down here along the Gulf Coast.

I second what CommodoreMid said.

KBayDog

... because it's rain and tornado watches down here along the Gulf Coast.

Quit griping and go get the X!

validww.png

georgiaboy

CommodoreMid, thanks for the advice. I am class president, president of 5 other clubs, a varsity track runner(200m, 4x400, and my favorite, pole vault), and I have an unweighted 4.0 gpa and i will be graduating with 13 AP credits(though I probably wont use them all, as I can only utilize so many and still be eligible for the 4 year scholarship). And this isnt some small private school- its at a public school of more than 2,000 students that regularly gets acceptants to Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, etc. Im so excited to join the fleet! I hope i get the NROTC scholarship, but if not, I guess it's off to OCS after college. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
CommodoreMid, thanks for the advice. I am class president, president of 5 other clubs, a varsity track runner(200m, 4x400, and my favorite, pole vault), and I have an unweighted 4.0 gpa and i will be graduating with 13 AP credits(though I probably wont use them all, as I can only utilize so many and still be eligible for the 4 year scholarship). And this isnt some small private school- its at a public school of more than 2,000 students that regularly gets acceptants to Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, etc. Im so excited to join the fleet! I hope i get the NROTC scholarship, but if not, I guess it's off to OCS after college. :)

Congrats on the flight. Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like your record is on track. One thing on the AP credits... Plan on using all of them. Maybe not up front (I don't remember ROTC caring how many I had), but they'll come in handy. With ROTC alone, you have ~16 credits (depending on your unit) that you'll need to take. So using those 13 credits may come in handy. Especially if you go to a bigger school and your credits get you out of Calc and Physics, which are usually weed-out classes. There's always other classes you can take in college, both to pad your GPA and also that you might find interesting. I ended up taking an anthropology class that had nothing to do with my major or NROTC, but it was really well taught and interesting.

georgiaboy

One other question- the man that took me up described the difference between the plane we flew (2001 Cessna 182) and something like an F/A-18 is like comparing a caveman's stone wheel and a formula 1 racecar. Any comments?

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . comparing a caveman's stone wheel and a formula 1 racecar. Any comments?

Comments? I think you already covered it! And . . . . . if you are truly interested in a career in Naval Aviation, I think you should already have a fairly decent grasp on the difference between a single engine, prop driven, general aviation aircraft versus a modern day, top of the line fighter/attack aircraft. Now, any specific, more relevant questions ??????????