• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intro and Question

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
First off I would like to thank those of you who are serving (or have served) our great nation. As an intro, I am just about to start my senior year of college, I am USMC OCS complete and am commissioning in May. My question pertains to academic preparation for flight school. I do not have a strong math background (religion major focus in Biblical studies), and have never flown a plane. My school offers an aviation program, and I was wondering would it be more beneficial to sign up for math classes or for aviation classes as electives? Thank you for any insight.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
First off I would like to thank those of you who are serving (or have served) our great nation. As an intro, I am just about to start my senior year of college, I am USMC OCS complete and am commissioning in May. My question pertains to academic preparation for flight school. I do not have a strong math background (religion major focus in Biblical studies), and have never flown a plane. My school offers an aviation program, and I was wondering would it be more beneficial to sign up for math classes or for aviation classes as electives? Thank you for any insight.

Forget the math...you don't have to do calculus in the plane. Plus it would just be boring! :sleep_125 Go for the aviation!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Go for the aviation class. Or a class on golf. Or even better, that thing called free time. Just do something you will enjoy. You have TBS to look forward to first. Keep up on the PT. You will be given the tools you need to be successful in flight school once you get there. Many ... most ... nearly all SNAs go into flight school as a completely blank slate. A little bit of gettin ahead won't hurt you, might help, but your free time you have right now is priceless.

Pick up a few books on aviation in the meantime. There is a thread somewhere around here that can point you in the right direction. These can give you a taste of what "it" is all about.

Good luck.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I suggest the class "Young, Impressionable College Girls With Low Self-Esteem"

Now now now, Marines are too busy fighting "to keep our honor clean"... :watching3 That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Bevo16

pilot

If there are any lurkers out there who are thinking about making a first post or asking a "stupid" question, this is how to do it. Who he is and what he wants in a clear manner. You can copy that format into every ratio call that you will ever make in the cockpit.

Well done. Your first rep has been delivered.

To pile on to the answer that you have already gotten, don't worry about the math. I hate math to no end and struggled through the required calculus courses in college. No math that you will ever need to do in the cockpit is that hard. You need to be able to add, subtract, do basic division and multiplication, and you will always have a knee board to scratch it out on if you need to.

If you want to do an aviation course early to break your cherry, then go for it. It's not going to hurt you as long as you know that the Navy is going to teach you how to fly THEIR way, and we don't give a damn about what your civil instructors told you. Above all else, enjoy.

dilbert123

pilot
Deror:

I was an instructor at Primary a few years ago. I had many, many students with all sorts of prior flight time. In my experience, I hated to get a student with prior flight time unless it was at least over 300 hours. I spent a lot of time breaking bad habits.

Like the others who have posted before have said, don't get too wound up. I much preferred to start a student who had never flown before. Learn it right the first time the Navy way. Your Navy instruction will prepare you for bigger and better things, not just an afternoon's bounce around a civil airport in a small aircraft.

The best of luck to you!