• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airboss2B

For those of you who have already gone through the process, what were some of the questions that you were asked during the interview?

Eagle1

In my case, after I took the ATSB I ate lunch with my recruiter. Over a few burgers we talked about everything from why Top Gun is a great movie to who is going to win the World Series. In between we did talk a bit about naval aviation. No one even told me that this was my "interview" until I pointed out to the LT later on that he had never formally interviewed me. He laughed and told me that I had had it a few months before during our lunch together.

I'm sure that things vary from location to location, recruiter to recruiter. However it seems that generally they just want to engage you in conversation to make sure you haven't been holed up in some room for the past four years playing with Barbie Dolls or something else equally strange.

Dave Shutter

The guys down at my Officer programs office seem really stiff and by the book. I'm expecting a pair of formal sit-downs for my interviews. I say interviews because I was told there would be two of them, one by one of the LT's and an 0-4 or above! Anyone else have two interviews???

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/03/2000 03:23:33

ASUPilot

I cannot even remember having an interview. Maybe the officers I worked with while preparing my package just counted one of our many conversations as an interview. I am now seeking an Air Force pilot slot and I have a big time interview this coming Wednesday with a Squadron Commander at Luke AFB. This AF has proven to be much more formal than the Navy. Not that I care...both ways work for me.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ASU, best of luck with the upcoming interview, and the application process for the Air Farce (excuse me Air Force), hope all goes well. Are they still offering gobs of money to Pilot accessions? If so, then this may turn out (financially) to the better! Still think it would be amusing if you went through PCOLA for flight training as Air Force, when the Navy wouldn't put you through... anyways, hope it all works out good for you.

ASUPilot

John,

Thanks for the vote of good fortune. As far as I know, the Air Force is only offering serious amounts of money for guys to stay in and fly...not for initial accessions. If I am fortunate enough to get picked up by the AF I will try to get the ENJJUPT for training. I would never chose to attend Pcola as an AF guy. This is also the advice from my O-4 instructor friend at Pcola. As long as we're playing the hypothetical game here John, wouldn't it be funny if I were selected to fly the F-15C/E, hopefully E, and performed so well that I applied for, and was selected for, the F/A-18 exchange program with the Navy? Then I'd get my carrier-quals anyways. Wouldn't that be funny? That would be my way to illustrate how silly the Navy has been in evaluating my eye. As I see it, my initial commitment as a pilot in any service is ten years or more total. With that time I will just make it a career and fly as long as I can. So, I would have time for a Navy tour, LOL. Oh, if only things would work out that way...I hope that they do!

Airboss2B

Since I'm active duty, I will be going through an actual interview board with three 0-3s or above from my command. I guess they drill you pretty hard. I also have to write up my CO's endorsement (lucky me). I'll try to get as much face time as I can with the officers in my command (not an easy task). Hopefully this will make the board go smoother, especially if one of them is on the board.

Dave Shutter

Thanx Vicki, I'll let you know how my interviews go...

ASUpilot, I hear you as an AF guy not wanting to be anywhere near P-cola, but if you do go, and when you're getting you welcome brief by the Commander (who probably gets phone calls from his boss as to why there are so few pilots) and when he throws in the mandatory AF crack, be sure to tell him why you went AF! If you ask me your recruiter jipped you by letting something like that dq you!

Good luck though, if there's any Navy brass checking out this site I hope they read your posts. Good luck on their insane test, let us know. You'll find that their application is BS too, any serious consideration I had for the AF went out the window after I met officer programs guy, the ammount of stuff they wanted for the application was absurd compared to the Navy. And then there's that ten year obligation, but flight training is shorter, around a year and a half to receive the coveted wings of lead!

Oh, if you haven't already, check out Donevein Rein's AF journal site on links. He Hasn't updated in a while since not getting T-38's, which is the path to fighters, but he talks about getting in, OTS, screening and primary.

Best of luck!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/03/2000 13:08:42

ASUPilot

Dave,

Yeah, the Air Force makes you do a lot more than the Navy, but I'm not complaining too much...military flying is still better than civilian flying to me so I'll go through any necessary hurdles. If, for some wierd reason, I got Primary in Pcola with the Navy, I would keep a low profile about my background. The time for me to talk about my experience with the Navy, in my opinion, would be when I'm an exchange pilot with the Navy flying F/A-18's. I realzie that an exponential number of things would have to fall into place for that to happen, but it would be great to be 7 or 8 years into my AF career and get the exchange program with the Navy. I would love to tell my Navy CO that "yeah, the Navy bumped me for a stupid thing in my eye...which doesn't my effect visual acuity...and I applied for a position with the Air Force and received it. After UPT I was selected for the F-15E and have successfully flown it for years..." I'm not looking for anything post-facto, but just one Navy pilot/CO to acknowledge that the Navy let a "good one" get away would make my day. I'm trying to not to be a Pu$$y about this, but I feel the Navy missed on this one. Take care, and I hope to see you on board.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
Since I'm active duty, I will be going through an actual interview board with three 0-3s or above from my command. I guess they drill you pretty hard. I also have to write up my CO's endorsement (lucky me)...

Airboss, I have gone through three of those boards throughout my career as I put in each of my commissioning packages. Some of the questions that I saw on each of the boards, and that you could probably expect (some already mentioned on here):

Current CNO, JCS, MCPON?
Issues facing/in the news with the Navy, to see if you are current with what is going on in the Navy?
What the Core Vales (Honor, Courage, Commitment) mean to you?
What will your active duty service experience bring to the commissioning/aviation community?
Ethical/moral problem solving (you come across one of your chief's hitting a sailor, what do you do?)
Do you plan on having the Navy as a career?
Why should we select you for Aviation?
Personal hobbies, intersts.
What sort of goal setting have you made for yourself to make Aviation a reality?

More questions come to mind, but that is the basic idea of what to expect. For me, I was an E5 during these boards, and they were evaluating my suitability for commissioning, and how aware I was of current issues in the Navy, and I was given a number of ethical dilemas and situations to talk through, ie: what would you do in this situation? a board member would ask me. I did well on all three of my boards, and in some cases there aren't any answers to the ethical questions, just they want to hear out your thought processes.

Oh well, just my $0.02 on the subject.

(and now on to something completely different...)

Vicki, you mentioned you were a vet, any advice on a heart worm treatment for a 7 year old dachsund? Been hearing/reading a lot of conflicting info... (man is that off topic or what?)

anyways, time to get busy and stop being a bum... later

vicki

John,

When you say heartworm treatment are you talking about heartworm preventative or has your dog been diagnosed with an active heartworm infection? (See I told you I get some bizarre questions when people find out I'm a veterinarian. It gets worse - I am a flair bartender and go to bartending competitions. Immediately the Tom Cruise stuff starts because of Top Gun and Cocktail.) Now who's getting off the subject? In terms of preventative there are two products on the market. Heartgard (ivermectin) and Intercepter (milbemycin). Both are effective at preventing heartworm disease when administered once monthly. This is done year 'round in places like Florida that have year 'round mosquitos and from May to November in the Northeast and other temperate areas. If your dog actually has a heartworm infection treatment becomes a little less straightforward. Traditional treatment consists of IV injection of an arsenic compound. With the introduction of caparsolate this is obsolete. The newer treatment also consists of a series of IV injections which would require hospitalization because side effects are not always trivial. This treatment is much safer that the arsenic therapy and certainly safer than an active heartworm infection. Your dog's general health would also be a factor in how well it would respond to treatment. I hope that this is helpful to you. Let me know if there is anything else you wanted to know that I didn't mention.

FLY NAVY!

Vicki

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Vicki,

A little background, we found an abandoned dachsund in our neighborhood a month ago, and have nursed him back to health. From what our neighbors have been saying, he has been out and roaming around for about 9 months, no one has been able to catch him. We found him passed out, heat exhaustion (Corpus is WAY to hot), under a bush. He was severely underweight, and dehydrated. Took him to the vet, and had him looked over, and they told us he had heart worms. He is a great little guy that for being out running around for so long has a great disposition (really surprised he wasn't a little bit feral), and has really opened up to us in the last month, hasn't growled at us once. Anyways, so far we have put 2lbs back on him, and we started the heart worm treatment the other day, the first dose, come back in a month for the second double dose. Now he is on lasix, prednisolone and clavamox.

Ok, here is my question, I have been hearing different stories on dogs surviving the second treatment. And it seems to me that the main problem lies in the dislodgement of the heart worms, and the possible blockage of arteries? So basically keep the dog from getting excited for the whole time period, correct? Is there anything else I should be doing to make it easier for the dog, and improve his chances of making it through it?

Anyways, thanks for any insight you may have.

Also, you ever heard of a Crash and Burn (a whole bunch of fruit juices and alcohols, definitely some coconut rum in there)? Had one at a restraunt in Pensacola, and would love to make one at home, but have yet to find it in any bartending book, might have been just a "signature" drink there anyways.

LOL, it feels great to be asking someone else a question on this forum, instead of answering them!

vicki

John,

You mentioned your dog is on Lasix. Is he in right-sided heart failure or was this just a preventative measure? You are correct in that the serious problems associated with heartworm treatment are a result of the adult heartworms dying off. These worms can grow to lengths measured in inches and can lodge in the pulmonary arteries causing, as you can imagine, devestating results. Your dog's best shot at successfully undergoing treatment is to keep him as quiet as possible, especially the first 72 hours following treatment, insure that he is getting his meds on schedule and try to get his overall health to the highest possible level (ie putting his weight back on him etc.). It sounds like you guys are doing the right things and I sure hope things work out.

As far as your beverage concerns - something called a "Crash and Burn" served in a Pcola restaurant is almost certainly what we in the biz call a "specialty drink" like a Friday's Freeze at TGI Friday's (where I flip bottles). However most of these multi-liquor, multi-mixer drinks with names like "Death Wish", "Diesel" and "Afterburner" are variations on the "Long Island Iced Tea". A traditional LIT is 1/2 oz each of vodka, gin, rum and triple sec, 3 oz sour, shake, top with Coke and garnish with a sqeezed lemon.
For example a "Miami Ice" is an LIT except sub blue curacao for triple sec and Sprite for Coke. Now back to "Crash and Burn". Try this - sub coconut rum for the rum, banana liquor for the triple sec and use a citrus flavored vodka (like Absolut Mandarin) for the vodka. Instead of sour mix add a mixture of pineapple juice and OJ or pineapple juice, OJ and cranberry juice, shake and top with Midori or watermelon Pucker. Garnish with a lime or an orange and a cherry. This is probably not the exact recipe that was used to create your drink, but it is most likely damn close. Enjoy.

FLY NAVY!

Vicki

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Vicki,

Thanks for the insight. The lasix was originally given on the first visit, they detected a heart murmur, water on the lungs, etc... Second visit, murmur is almost completely gone, and no more lung problems. Hopefully the little guy will pull through.

Mmmm, sounds good on the drink suggestion, gonna have to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.