• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel Reserve SELRES

becks104

Hey all,
I have read recently that Intel Reserves are particularly needed: (link)
I am not prior military and I don't have "intelligence experience" but I do have a degree in Political Science with a concentration in Middle Eastern studies and 4 semesters of Arabic. Is there a possibility they would consider me for SELRES? I also will be graduating in May with a Masters Degree in Healh Administration and a Masters in Health Informatics (IT). I know they have SELRES for that, does anyone know if there is accelerated rank associated with advanced degrees? Thanks and sorry for the multi-part question :icon_mi_1

snizo

Supply Officer
Settle down, squorch.

Yes, you can be considered for SELRES Intel. The poli sci degree shouldn't be necessary, but is an obvious bonus - even more so if your civilian job is relevant. The four semesters of Arabic will help - if you still remember it.

The reserves isn't like applying for a job. They can take qualified people even if there isn't a specific opening ... and the qualifications process isn't as strict as other parts of the military because drilling reservists aren't very expensive to keep (as opposed to active military). Call a reserve center and ask them about joining - no harm in talking to them.

As for accelerated rank - unless you're in certain groups (usually medical or legal - areas that require advanced education) then no, you will move from Ensign to JG to LT at the same rate as everyone else. A masters degree is helpful later on in your career, but it won't put you in zone for promotion any earlier.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Hey all,
Is there a possibility they would consider me for SELRES? I also will be graduating in May with a Masters Degree in Healh Administration and a Masters in Health Informatics (IT). I know they have SELRES for that, does anyone know if there is accelerated rank associated with advanced degrees?
Will they consider you? Sure. How competitive you might be is another story. Back in the Old Days (which, for the purposes of this discussion, was pre-9/11), when they were looking for SelRes intel officers they wanted someone with skills - you know, bowhunting skills, numchuk skills, computer hacking skills. :icon_tong If you were fresh out of college, they'd tend to say "Go see an active duty recruiter" (although there were exceptions to this.) The preference was someone who already "brought something to the table" in terms of professional knowledge or experience. The Navy would more or less get something for nothing out of the deal - someone with experience they could pay an O-1's wages.

These days, though, I couldn't tell you what the DIRCOM profile is looking like. Skills are definitely still a plus, but there may be a manpower shortfall to the degree that they'd consider freshly minted college graduates in the program. You won't know until you submit a package, though - your other info seems promising, so give it a shot!

As far as the advanced degree question - in my "Basic Reserve Intel Training" class were more PhDs and Masters than you could shake a stick at. O-1s all....

malavehr

Hey all, I have been in the Reserves for 7 years as a Legalman (E-6) and now I'm applying for the Intel Officer Reserve. I passed the exam, have letter of recommendation and already have 2 interviews. Any tips for a solid package? Will the Board consider the years as an enlisted? Any recommendations? I have also a Political Science BA and a law degree. Thanks!!

Marine66

Mala - I posted this earlier on another forum- this applies to you... Although degrees are nice to have, whether technical or not, don't overlook the power of LEADERSHIP skills. A handful of LOR's from senior ranking officials, politicians and the like are nice as well, but one of the things the boards look closely at is, "What have you done with subordinates lately" they want to see and know that as potential officers, you are all leaders or in some capacity at present, working towards that objective through the management of processes and the oversight of personnel (large groups or small). When you update your packages, don't overlook the simple stuff!