• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel O's can't apply for Specwar!?

SeaStud19

I'm currently in BDCP for intel and even before I've submitted my package last year I expressed my desire to go for SEALs but was told that I couldn't apply for it until I was six months away from graduating. Recently I've been told that I can't request for re-designation until I get to OCS b/c intel is not willing to let me go at the moment b/c I'm in BDCP. Is it even possible to re-designate while at OCS?

Also I've been looking online to see if I can do a lateral transfer later on down the road and all of the information I've seen on the subject has said no. I am REALLY hoping I'm wrong. IF there is a way to do a lateral transfer from Intel to specwar how would I go about doing so?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Transferring from Intel to SPECWAR

I've been looking online to see if I can do a lateral transfer later on down the road and all of the information I've seen on the subject has said no. I am REALLY hoping I'm wrong. IF there is a way to do a lateral transfer from Intel to specwar how would I go about doing so?

Have you checked sites that focus on SPECWAR?

Regardless, have you contacted a SPECWAR motivator?

Are you ready for BUD/S?

If you end up commited to an Intel path at commissioning, you can always strive to be assigned to a NSW command. Unlike aviation, NSW involves its support personnel quite a bit so you could get up close and personal while prepping with the guys who know what it's all about.

tshort

If you want to go spec war there are a few things to consider. It is the hardest community to get into as an officer by far. You need a comdination of awesome PFT scores, good interviews and reccomendations. And good grades in college, OAR, and extracorriculars couldnt hurt. I've been training with specwar candidates for some time now and we had this one guy, a complete stud,trained for a year, killed his PFT, and even got the nod from Olson(SOCOM commander) himself. Still he got rejected! To go O usually you have to SWO first and laterally transfer. Intel should work the same, especially if you work in specops. The teams are a small community so knowing the right people will make all the difference. Also get your PADI if you dont have it already.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
To go O usually you have to SWO first and laterally transfer. Intel should work the same, especially if you work in specops.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. The guys I saw selected for SPECWAR going through OCS were prior SEALs. That's probably a better route than lat xfer. Also, another reason it's tough to go SPECWAR is because the community is so damn small that they're just not taking that many people per FY.

Finally, SPECWAR is not shy about saying they want junior guys lat transferring, they go so far as to say that they only want LTJGs and below. I hope you're satisfied with Intel, because not only is it difficult to lat transfer into some communities, some won't let you lat transfer OUT due to manning requirements. Intel may be one of them.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
SeaStud,

If you haven't been steering your preparations to be a SEAL officer thus far I'm afraid it's too late. Motivated officer candidates spend a year or more in advance collecting qualifications and preparing for selection.

All of the statements above are true. In addition, OCS is the least likely commisioning source for SEAL Ensigns since you are competing for a small number of school slots against (in descending order), Olympic quality Annapolis grads who have been in BUD/S prep for 2 years, nationally ranked ROTC studs who have been doing the same, and that's just to get the few coveted slots to BUD/S. Additionally, remaining requirements get filled by well qualified SEAL enlisteds who are go to OCS. As I understand, there are new requirements for additional SEAL O's at the SBTs, etc but it's still a small community.

At this stage, the best thing you can do is be the absolute best intel officer and make yourself a nuisance to get asigned to a SEAL Team intel shop. It may be different now, but I never remember seeing a junior S2 guy in our shop, they were usually a LT or if more junior, it was because they were a Mustang. Our intel officer (LT) at ST-1 back in 1999 was an absolute stud, did all our PT, shooting, swims, etc. He went from our intel shop next door to BUD/S half way through his assignment. Before you get orders, I'd start canvasing the west/east coast NSW group intel depts for a job. I'd take some leave and make the trip in person if I were you. That approach always got me whatever I wanted.

Should you be able to lateral to BUD/S as a Jg, or LT beware that the Teams in general are not fond of senior guy checking into the Team, but that's a whole other thread...

Mike-

SeaStud19

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me epecially you Stearmann. I know exactly what I need to do now. So again thanks.