• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel OCS Chances (immigrant background)?

Seawarriors0115

Hello,
Please let me hear your honest thoughts on my chances of getting picked for Intel OCS. I am also interested in Supply and would put it as my 2nd choice.
Stats:
  • 3.94 GPA.
  • Double major in Finance and Economics from a regular state's flagship school.
  • OAR : 56
  • Pretty involved in student government. That's about it for my EC in college.
  • Was also captain of my school performing arts team. Won several state-wide competitions.
Background:
  • 3 years of work experience in "high-finance" in NY.
  • My current work involves a lot of PowerPoint/Excel work + pitches. I would say I am very skilled in preparing slide decks/excel sheets. I am not sure how much it could help my chances :)
  • Immigrant from Vietnam. Moved to the US since high school.
I plan to submit my package once this Covid situation gets better, since I want to be around for my family in the meantime.
What do you think my odds of getting picked for Intel are, let's say out of 10? My biggest concern is my immigrant background and if that would make it difficult for me to get a security clearance, since I spent half of my life in birth country before moving to the states. What are your thoughts on that?
What do you think I can do to improve my application strength?
Thank you!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks for your desire to serve, and good luck to you. As long as you meet the Program Authorization minimums for 1830, apply for it. You can be from any country and have a TS/SCI. However, if you continue to have foreign travel or foreign affections - such as family, friends, romantic interests, financial interests, bank accounts, etc - outside the United States, you will have a much harder time.

Seawarriors0115

Thanks for your desire to serve, and good luck to you. As long as you meet the Program Authorization minimums for 1830, apply for it. You can be from any country and have a TS/SCI. However, if you continue to have foreign travel or foreign affections - such as family, friends, romantic interests, financial interests, bank accounts, etc - outside the United States, you will have a much harder time.
Thank you for your response. What do you think my chances are of being picked for Intel, taking in account my stats and background?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your response. What do you think my chances are of being picked for Intel, taking in account my stats and background?
High GPA is a plus, non tech is a minus, and Intel is very picky so chances are impossible to guess, only 10% selection rate overall so it can be tough. The issue of being foreign born really depends on if you have any contacts over there, I had one of my candidates who was born in Vietnam that had been in the US since grade school who was shot down on the investigation since there was still contact with father and a few other relatives.

Seawarriors0115

High GPA is a plus, non tech is a minus, and Intel is very picky so chances are impossible to guess, only 10% selection rate overall so it can be tough. The issue of being foreign born really depends on if you have any contacts over there, I had one of my candidates who was born in Vietnam that had been in the US since grade school who was shot down on the investigation since there was still contact with father and a few other relatives.
Thank you for your response. Is there anyway for me to PM you for some follow up questions? Thank you again.

Iriscka

Hello,
Please let me hear your honest thoughts on my chances of getting picked for Intel OCS. I am also interested in Supply and would put it as my 2nd choice.
Stats:
  • 3.94 GPA.
  • Double major in Finance and Economics from a regular state's flagship school.
  • OAR : 56
  • Pretty involved in student government. That's about it for my EC in college.
  • Was also captain of my school performing arts team. Won several state-wide competitions.
Background:
  • 3 years of work experience in "high-finance" in NY.
  • My current work involves a lot of PowerPoint/Excel work + pitches. I would say I am very skilled in preparing slide decks/excel sheets. I am not sure how much it could help my chances :)
  • Immigrant from Vietnam. Moved to the US since high school.
I plan to submit my package once this Covid situation gets better, since I want to be around for my family in the meantime.
What do you think my odds of getting picked for Intel are, let's say out of 10? My biggest concern is my immigrant background and if that would make it difficult for me to get a security clearance, since I spent half of my life in birth country before moving to the states. What are your thoughts on that?
What do you think I can do to improve my application strength?
Thank you!

I'm an immigrant too. Applied for 1830 last year. My stats are 4.00 GPA, Master's degree, 63 OAR, prior service. I got pro rec N and not allowed to re-apply.
According to my OR, it's because of my background.
You may be more lucky, so give it a try.