• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel & Color Vision

abutcher

I know all URL jobs are blocked off if you don't have normal color vision, but what is the deal with intel? Some of the info I'm getting says it's not required, some says it is.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I know all URL jobs are blocked off if you don't have normal color vision, but what is the deal with intel? Some of the info I'm getting says it's not required, some says it is.

Surprisingly (at least according to this reference: http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1420/four.pdf) it's not disqualifying. They still check it every year in my annual physicals, though, and god help you if your Powerpoint color selection is off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is that surprising? I wouldn't think an intel officer would have a pressing need for normal color vision.

Wait a minute. How are these James Bond types going to discern the yellow wire with the blue stripe from the red wire with the black stripe when they're defuzing stolen nukes and IEDs out in the field? Oh, wait - I just answered my own question.

Brett

pdx

HSM Pilot
Wait a minute. How are these James Bond types going to discern the yellow wire with the blue stripe from the red wire with the black stripe when they're defuzing stolen nukes and IEDs out in the field? Oh, wait - I just answered my own question.

Brett

Wow, I totally overlooked this. Here I was thinking Intel officers sat in little grey boxes, compiled data, and gave super-interesting briefs.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

"Surprising" just in the sense that the medical community is normally overly conservative, and I just assumed that normal color vision was required of all naval officers. (I've always sweated the damn "Which number is it" speckle diagrams, even though I've always had normal vision....)

And at 12K feet underwater or thru NVGs, all the dark colors look the same anyway.... :icon_tong