• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel ap

fusu

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how does the competition for intel stacks up these days? My recruiter told me I was competitive with a 58 OAR and 5s, but it seems to me like that is pretty middle of the road. I’ve got a 3.92 at Grinnell College (if anyone has ever heard of it) and a number of extracurricular activities.

What do you think the board is looking for and/or what kind of a profile has a shot?

thanks

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Just apply, it costs nothing to you exept time (and maybe studybooks). I am applying for an Intel spot with a 3.22 gpa and an astb of 5/6/5 51. If I am selected great, if not, then I will try again.

LET73

Grinnell, huh? Me too (Class of '03). Your numbers sound pretty good. It depends on your background--i.e., your major, any internships/work experience, study abroad, foreign languages, etc. Here's mine: 3.44 GPA from Grinnell with a degree in poli sci, comparable test scores to yours, MA from Georgetown in Security Studies, and I speak Russian and have been to Russia. I was picked up for intel on my second attempt. It's pretty competitive, but definitely go for it.

fusu

LET73

yeah i got it, good to hear there is another grinnellian out there in the Intel world. how is it anyways?

LET73

Congratulations, fusu. I'm still at OCS (for one more week), so I can't tell you much about intel yet.

JKD

My cent and a half opinion is – you really have to apply and see how it shakes out.
After three OCS applications and one DIRCOM (which I was finally accepted), I have to say they do look at the “whole person” concept. Don’t put too much value in any one area of the application, good or bad. I had ASTB of 74, 7/8/9 and didn’t get picked up right away (I was going for Intel only – I was too old for Pilot / NFO).
And… Make sure you have several people review your motivational statement. I think a weak statement contributed to my first three non-selects.

(added: reading other threads, it looks like you (fusu) were recommended for BDCP - congratulations!)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My cent and a half opinion is – you really have to apply and see how it shakes out.
After three OCS applications and one DIRCOM (which I was finally accepted), I have to say they do look at the “whole person” concept. Don’t put too much value in any one area of the application, good or bad. I had ASTB of 74, 7/8/9 and didn’t get picked up right away (I was going for Intel only – I was too old for Pilot / NFO).
And… Make sure you have several people review your motivational statement. I think a weak statement contributed to my first three non-selects.

(added: reading other threads, it looks like you (fusu) were recommended for BDCP - congratulations!)

...LOL, great Intel work there!