• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel after NROTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossad

Is it possible to go into Naval Intelligence right after getting comissioned through NROTC? My recruiter told me that only unrestricted lines such as Surface Warfare, etc. are open. I'm going to Major in Middle Eastern Studies from GWU, and hope to do some computer science.

av8tor

Great question. It has always been my understanding that ROTC students had to accept a unrestricted line billet wheter or not restricted billets (jobs) were open. I would call the ROTC unit directly at GWU and ask to speak with one of the instructors. Rumor has it that there have been ROTC students' who went directly to med. school after graduation on the Navy's dime, called the HPSP scholarship, but this is extremely rare. As medical officer's are by definition restricted line officer's this would invalidate my first statement. I'll check into it and see what I can dredge up.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Mossad,

I am in NROTC right now...and we can only commission people into the unrestricted line (Aviation, SWO, Subs, and SEALs). It has been explained to us that one has to do a tour in the unrestricted line, and then lateral transfer into Intel. For example, someone would go to the surface community on their tour, get their SWO pin, then transfer to Intel. At least that is how it works outof NROTC. Hope that helps.

Noze

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
NozeMan is right. The only way you could go intel out of ROTC would be if the medically disqualified you for URL positions. Otherwise, you will have to do a tour in SWO, Flight, Nuke, or SEALS before you can lateral. Good luck.
--Goplay

Dickwest83

Mossad: Sorry, Intel isn't an option out of NROTC, but Nozeman said, you can go SWO, do your initial tour, then go for a lateral transfer. Btw, I used to go to GWU. Great choice on a Unit, they have alot going there. And the Elliott School at GW is outstanding. Lemme know if you have any other questions about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.