• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Instrument - Airplane add on to existing Helicopter - Instrument

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Need some help from AW Nation. I have a new student, recently retired Coastie O-4, former Army H-60 guy (DCA to USCG) who needs a Instrument-Airplane add on to his existing Instrument-Helicopter. Holds COMM ASEL and AMEL *but* no INST-Airplane. Trying to find/interpret the FAR Aeronautical Experience and Training requirments and ACS practical test matrix to no avail. No Mil fixed wing training or experience, so the Mil-Comp route is out.

Can any of you FAR nerds help me out?

Thanks!

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My understanding is that like how a CFI-rotary doesn't translate to a CFI-fixed, the same is true for the instrument rating. Since he doesn't have a Mil-Comp to fall back on, and without digging into the FARs, I think it's something like a reduced length ground school, 10-15 hours flight instruction, and a flight check.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
61.65(a)(7) doesn't require him to retake the written.

61.65(d)(1) says you need 10 hours of your XC time to be in an airplane (probably you have this).

61.65(d)(2) says you need 15 hours of instruction by a CFI with an instrument airplane rating. However, it doesn't say those 15 hours have to be in an airplane, just the three hours of checkride prep in the two months before the ride.

61.65(g) (1) is the backup to (d)

So I’d say…to be safe, a minimum of 10 hours instrument (can be simulated) with a CFI and 3 hours in the air with a CFI followed by a checkride.

ChuckMK23

pilot

61.65(d)(1) says you need 10 hours of your XC time to be in an airplane (probably you have this).

61.65(d)(2) says you need 15 hours of instruction by a CFI with an instrument airplane rating. However, it doesn't say those 15 hours have to be in an airplane, just the three hours of checkride prep in the two months before the ride.

So I’d say…to be safe, a minimum of 10 hours instrument (can be simulated) with a CFI and 3 hours in the air with a CFI followed by a checkride.
@Griz882, I owe you a beer (or 4) for this excellent analysis. Thank you!!!!

ChuckMK23

pilot

@Griz882, I owe you a beer (or 4) for this excellent analysis. Thank you