• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inspections (MTT & PI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoconnor

I have read and heard a lot about the importance of inspections. However, in comparison to all the other gouge available I find little to nothing about them.

As an attempt to shed light on the subject I started this new topic. Please post what you know (or have heard, i'm sure someone will correct you if you are wrong), it will be greatly appreciated.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
the Candio's will probably convince you to spend a lot of money on museum pieces... The OCS staff is trying to discourage this... My advice.. don't mess up the first time!

jaerose

I actually talked to a DI at OCS who said inspections are a joke...just make sure your stuff is reasonably clean and the bed is somewhat made. Just kidding! I'm curious too.

JR

jwilliamsee

I just got graduated OCS june 6th. I think the inspections are pretty tough. Why do you care though it's not like you are going to sit at home practiceing folding sweat pants 12"X12". If you want to prep for OCS then exercise, get a lot of sleep and get your bills in order.

aoconnor

Jwilliamsee, thanks for the reply and congrats on your graduation. You are right I can't prepare for the inspections (I would if I could). However, I guess I just wanted to more information about them. I have been preparing for OCS by running everyday 3-5 miles, doing pushups/situps, and acedemically I have been taking NROTC courses which have tought me how to use MOBoards/etc. Even with all of this preperation I will most likely still get my @$$ kicked. At least with this preparation I may be able to help my teammates.

jLinscott, thanks for your reply. That is correct, my recruiter tells me that I will be reporting at the beginning of JAN '04. If I have my way it will be the 1st, I can't wait to get it on. I am 28 and am eager to start my new career as an NFO. I hope to be in your class because with your experience as a prior, you may be able to give us a team advantage. I meet with my recruiter next week, I will ask again what my date will be, once I know I will let you know.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.

USNPIKE

I graduated from OCS last summer and the room inspections are tough, but there are some things you can use at the beginning to save time on them. During OCS you will be constantly doing something so working efficiently is key.
Use starch on your handkerchiefs to get them stiff. That way they are easier to fold and iron into a 4x4 square.
Use the blue 1" tape found in the NEX as a guide to stamp your handkerchiefs by.
Straight pins are also helpful when trying to stamp your inspection pieces.
Don't be afraid to ask the people in the senior classes for help, it is all about teamwork so they should be willing to do it. Remember to do the same for the new class on deck.
Use hairspray to more or less glue things into place. when making your pieces into a specific dimension spray it with hair spray to lock it into place. Don't use too much because it could appear dirty and that is a hit.
After cleaning out the drawers spray the bottom with hair spray and place articles over them. This way they don't move when the drawer is moved around for the inspection.
Buy a good ironing board cover. Many of the covers at OCS are dirting and will ruin your articles when ironing.
When the DI asks you to put your shoes on the rack do so and slightly wipe off the bottom of the shoe on the covers by moving the soles of the shoe across the cover. If the sole is dirty that is a hit and could result in a room hit because the DI thinks the floor is dirty.

That is all I can think of for now but that is a good start.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
USNPIKE~

Thanks for the gouge. Are you allowed to bring the items you mentioned or do you have to buy them once you get there?

aoconnor

USNPIKE,
Thats some good gouge. I too am also curious whether you are allowed to bring in the items mentioned. Also, what do you mean by stamping.

Thanks again, good material.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
they will issue everything you need... but more than likely you will "jack it up" and need to buy more stuff. stamping refers to stamping your name on everything. this is harder than it seems as the location must be exactly in a certain spot. Then you have to "IP" everything. Then you have to Fold everything into perfect dimensions as specified. Then you have to place these articles in the exact location in the exact way. there will be two of these inspections and they are perhaps the most time consuming and stressful part of ocs. you can't really prepare for them. work with your class and especially your roommates. doing it by yourself will ensure your failure. your class has to have an average of 81 to secure and get liberty. my class passed with exactly an 81. there will probably be many failures in your class.. i think 5-10 is standard... there were 15 in mine (out of 35). But don't stress too much over it.. just take it seriously is all. and know your gouge..i.e. code of conduct, general orders, chain of command, rank structure, breast insignia, etc. BEFORE you arrive at OCS. this will cut your stress level in half.

also, being able to pass the out-prt before you arrive will also help you greatly.

before you arrive drink 10 cups of water a day and try and hold it as long as you can... frickin candio's will make you drink canteens of water and not let you go to the head (bathroom) until you think you'll explode.

finally, your goal for the first 7 weeks will be to try a not get any special attention... to do this just be "locked on" and focus on whatever it is you're doing... especially drill. if you don't mess anything up then the DI will probably find someone else who is messing things up.

and if you want to be Regimental Commander you should run for President... gives you a butt-load of OLQ (officer like quality) points which factor into your overall grade. it is generally graded with a base score of 90 and you get or lose points depending on your performance at ocs. it probably won't deviate too much from 90 as they need a class average between 89 and 91. Failing a test will lower your score... being an office will raise your score... etc. this is worth 26% of your final grade.

PRT is worth 10%... but i think they're still on the old system where your score is what you got on your lowest event. so try to do well in all 3.

there are 8 academic tests. worth 44% total grade. pay attention in class, study in groups and study whenever you have free time. they are pretty easy as long as you have read the book a few times and highlighted the material went over in class... all multiple choice.. so familiarity is the key.

Your Military grade (MTT & PI) is worth 20%. The RLP's (room locker personnel inspections) are the hardest. The PI's are easy but don't neglect them either. the deductions are worth 4 points per hit and you need an 80 to pass.

Drill does not compute into your overall score.

Bring a flashlight you can strap onto your head too.

hope this helps.

aoconnor

Virtu050,

You bet this helps. This gouge is painting a realistic picture. Thanks again, I am sure all of us heading to P-Cola will benifit from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.