• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Injury prevention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsavy10

I've been running for 4 months now, and lately my shins and knees have been acting up. Not to the point where I can't run, but to where they ache pretty bad for a couple of hours after the run. I'm training for the PFT so I really don't want to take time off. My main concern is long-term injuries. Any advice.

gsavy10

Aoconnor,
I did some reading on the subject and I just started to add some stretching exercises to my routine. One is to lay down, straighten your leg, and use a rope or something to pull the leg as high as it will go. The other two involve standing against a wall and stretching the calf muscle. I am just paranoid that I will have problems down the road at OCS. Now I can take Advil and ice down my legs, but I'm sure that will not be allowed at OCS.

DRL

If your shins and knees just started to act up the cause could be a couple of things. When was the last time you replaced your shoes? They should be replaced every 4-6 months depending on weight and distance/week. Also visit your local running store and get fitted for a shoe. They can prescribe a shoe for you wether you supinate or overpronate while running. I know this sounds stupid, but I used to get shin splints and ITB irritation almost to the point where I couldn't walk. A few days after getting fitted for shoes everything went away except for a dull pain in my left shin. If you just increased your distance and speed you might experience a little pain for a while until your body adapts. Lastly make sure you are stretching well. The problems you have are usually brought on by poor choice of running shoes, tight calves, tight ITB, and running hills or increase in intensity.
Keep in mind I'm no doctor, however for the prevention of an injury that would take a few weeks to fully heal I would take a break from running for a few days and do a little bit of cross training. When your shins and knees feel better try running till you feel pain, stretch, repeat. Also do a search on ITB syndrome, shin splints, and chondromalcia to see if these apply. Also check out the book "Complete Book of Running" and its associated web site http://www.runnersworld.com for additional info.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Make sure you get good running shoes too. Cross-trainers are a big no-no! I was running in those a few years ago, and nobody told me not to do that. My knees and shins started hurting for a few hours after running too. The more I ignored it the more it increased until one day I felt a really painful crack; turned out that I wound up with a bone fracture in my shin which laid me out for about 4 months and I just wound up having to start training all over again since i really couldn't do much while I was healing. So if you're feeling pain I would rest and take care of it for a few weeks rather than get forced out for a few months. Oh yeah, and listen to what the other guys are saying and definately stretch. One stretch not too many people do is to stretch that muscle that comes down right next to your shin bone (in front of your calf muscle). You can stretch it by pointing your toes, it helps prevent shin splints.

gsavy10

Thanks for the info. I recently bought new shoes, but I don't think that they have enough shock absorbtion. I'm going to go get a new pair this week. I am also going to extend my stretching routine a bit. Hopefully it will help. Right now the pain is not bad, but the last thing I need is a serious injury that will set me back several months.

AllenAzali

I'm where your at too. RUN TIME ON PFT!!!

Besides what the other guys said about stretching, try alternating running surfaces. If I'm running at moderate speed, it takes approximately 30 or 45 mins for shin splints to develop on asphalt. On the other hand with soft grassy terrain, good solid running will last up till 1.5 or 2 hours until them darn shin splits start to develop. Good diet, Good shoes, friendly terrain, and long streches.

Oh yea, and if I had to recommend some shoes:

ASICS Gel - Cumulus 4, they got bomb ass forefoot cushioning

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Consider investing in some really good insoles too. Don't get too cheap ($3 foam inserts don't cut it). I concur with varying the running surfaces -- run at your local university track, avoid concrete at all costs, and running x-country is really good too. (Local university here has mountain bike trails that are really fun to run on)

gsavy10

I know it is a big mistake, but I only run on concrete
bigmouth_125.gif
. I live in a downtown area and only have the hour between my two jobs to go running. Luckily, the 20" of snow we just got has cushioned the streets a bit.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Concrete is probably the worse surface you can run on (no give) next to ice. One false step on ice and you've torn all sorts of ligaments in your knee and YOU ARE DONE. Be careful out there and be smart! If you can get into a gym use the treadmill or some gyms actually have indoor running tracks. Use them. If you're running on concrete 4 or 5 days a week, I would knock off at least a day or two even and allow your body to recover. You'll stress fracture if you over do it, not to mention those pesky shin splints. Or, run one or both days on your weekend and put in a good bike ride between jobs.

Cheers!

davidsin

I used to feel that pain just about 3-4 months after I started running. It would hurt during the initial 2 laps then numb off until I'm finished. I kinda took a break from running and did other things like hiking and running every other day to let my legs recover. After a while my legs toughened up, and I didn't feel the pain anymore. I think my legs just had to adjust to the increased activity.

Stretching before and after the run helped a lot. I just do the same stretch routine I used to do before and after my tae kwan do classes.

Good luck

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

davidsin

Here's some great advice that I found very helpful

about speed, mental aspects of running: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

running injuries:
http://orthopedics.about.com/blrunning.htm http://www.therunningdoctor.com/runinjuries.htm
http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/

injury prevention: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/bysport/running.htm

how runners should stretch (images):
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/16621/97369

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

gsavy10

Yesterday, I ran 6 miles and I feel great. I gave my legs a few days rest, bought new shoes, and added several stretches to my routine. Within a week my shin splints were gone. I hope my body has gotten used to the abuse and I can begin training for real. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.