• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Clothing allowance and BAH

ceetea90

Good Day all,

May I have 2 quick questions:

- My SUPPO mentioned the initial clothing allowance when you are in OCS. However, that was more than 20 years ago, can you please let me know if we still have that? If so, how much would it be? I haven't seen anyone mentioned about it in this page.

- For prior: I know that we will get BAH for where our spouse is living at. After OCS, I will be going to Supply School in the same area in Newport. Would I still be able to receive the same BAH if I don't move my family there with me? If so, do I live on base/ government quarter or I have to pay out of pocket for hotel/ rental?

If there is a post about this matter already, please post the link.
I am on deployment, so the internet so slow to be able to effectively search for an answer.

Thank you all in advance!

ctiyn

Aloha,

If you are stationed in Hawaii like me or anywhere overseas, you will need to request a Continuation of Station Allowance (COSA) request. This needs to be routed up the chain to your CO to endorse then your N1 submits to Millington for final approval.
COSA req is part of the FLEET doc checklist in the FINSEL letter email sent by Mr. Celestin. If you do not submit COSA request, your BAH will be based in Newport, RI after a month or two.

If you are stationed in CONUS with your dependent, ask to see if your Supply school is PCS move or an I-stop.
If its a PCS move, your BAH will be based on RI, if it's an Intermediate duty like OCS, then you will receive BAH in your current location. My Intel (NIOBC) school is a PCS move, and as much as I would like my HI BAH and COLA, when I move to Intel school, my entitlement will change to Virginia Beach.

So it is important to ask if a Supply school is a PCS move or an I-stop. that will answer your question.
Since it's a 26 week school (about 6 months), highly likely it would be a PCS orders to Supply school.
Intel school is also 6 months and its a PCS move.

Hope this helps!

ctiyn

The Navy make special exception if your dependent need special medical care and cannot move or have some very special reason why your family cannot move with you for PCS orders. And of course if its unaccompanied tour, then yes you will receive both dependent BAH and geo-bachelor arrangement. However if the location allows accompanied tour, and its a PCS move, then your entitlement change to new location.

Meyerkord

pilot
My SUPPO mentioned the initial clothing allowance when you are in OCS. However, that was more than 20 years ago, can you please let me know if we still have that? If so, how much would it be? I haven't seen anyone mentioned about it in this page.
Yes it’s still a thing. When I went through in 2018, the allowance was about 1700 but your total bill was around 3000.

ceetea90

Aloha,

If you are stationed in Hawaii like me or anywhere overseas, you will need to request a Continuation of Station Allowance (COSA) request. This needs to be routed up the chain to your CO to endorse then your N1 submits to Millington for final approval.
COSA req is part of the FLEET doc checklist in the FINSEL letter email sent by Mr. Celestin. If you do not submit COSA request, your BAH will be based in Newport, RI after a month or two.

If you are stationed in CONUS with your dependent, ask to see if your Supply school is PCS move or an I-stop.
If its a PCS move, your BAH will be based on RI, if it's an Intermediate duty like OCS, then you will receive BAH in your current location. My Intel (NIOBC) school is a PCS move, and as much as I would like my HI BAH and COLA, when I move to Intel school, my entitlement will change to Virginia Beach.

So it is important to ask if a Supply school is a PCS move or an I-stop. that will answer your question.
Since it's a 26 week school (about 6 months), highly likely it would be a PCS orders to Supply school.

Hope this helps!
Hi, thank you for both of the answers! I am stationed in CONUS, so I don't have to worry about COSA.

I was hoping that I don't have to move the whole family for only 6 months, and then move them again, especially with a 3 years old. My order for OCS doesn't mentioned anything about the Supply school. It just said "UPON COMPLETION OF TEMPORARY DUTY - UNDER INSTRUCTION AND WHEN DIRECTED, DETACH. EDD XXXX". If you know where we can find out if it a I-stop or a PCS move, please let me know!

It doesn't make sense though. It would take us a month or two to find a place to stay, then another month or two to settle down with the new location. 2 months after that, we would have to move again. Also, would we have enough time from graduating OCS, to come back home, pack-up, and move everything to Newport?

Hoping some SUPPOs will stop by this thread!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My Intel (NIOBC) school is a PCS move, and as much as I would like my HI BAH and COLA, when I move to Intel school, my entitlement will change to Virginia Beach.

It's possible the rule has changed, but in the past, once you leave HI, you lose COLA, regardless of your status. I PCS'ed from HI to FL with a 60 day proceed time. I got to keep my BAH for that proceed (leave) time, but the COLA stopped as soon as I checked out of my squadron.

I'm not sure how that works if your dependent is still in HI, so there may still be a way to cash in there.

ctiyn

It's possible the rule has changed, but in the past, once you leave HI, you lose COLA, regardless of your status. I PCS'ed from HI to FL with a 60 day proceed time. I got to keep my BAH for that proceed (leave) time, but the COLA stopped as soon as I checked out of my squadron.

I'm not sure how that works if your dependent is still in HI, so there may still be a way to cash in there.
If your COSA req gets approved you will continue to get your BAH and COLA while at OCS. that's what COSA req is for.

ceetea90

Update: Thank you for all your information. I was able to reach out to SUPPO, who is in BQC right now. She said that I can get BAH from SD since it is higher than Newport. The family doesn't have to move with me. However, I will have to find a place to stay in town and pay out of pocket.
Will post another update once I actually got to BQC, in case anyone have the same questions.

Aloha,

Hope this helps!
When did you find this out as generally only stops of longer than 6 months and potentially 1 year are PCS not I-stops. I have been speaking to one who went IP and I was accepted for which is also in virginia beach but its an I-stop.