• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infantry vs SWO

So, it seems that SWO is generally disliked or even hated by naval officers.

If SWO is the backbone of the navy and infantry the backbone of the Marines, do Marine officers dislike infantry just as much as navy dislikes SWO?

I heard that infantry can be hard do get got Marine officers, so maybe the view on infantry is totally than the view of SWO by naval officers? Or, maybe not? Hence, my post.

Thx.

kite

Beach FEX
No. The individuals who are get an air contract with the Marines may not enjoy doing grunt work, and I’ve heard many pilots talk about how easy or great their lives are compared to infantry friends, but at the end of the day, they understand that Marine aviation exists to support the infantry. If you do manage to earn a Marine air contract, you will spend your time at OCS and TBS doing far more infantry related things that you will doing pilot related things.

At TBS in particular you’ll spend 6 months learning basic infantry skills, sleeping in the rain, mud, and cold, humping countless pounds of machine guns and radios. And you’ll ultimately find yourself supporting those who choose to do that as their career, even if it’s not you.

Thanks. So, if you don't want aviation, is infantry hard to get as a Marine officer? After all, don't most Marine leaders come from infantry? But, if you don't want to make the Marines your career, perhaps it's not the best specialty.

And, how to Marine officers get to go Airborne school, if they would like to do so please?

croakerfish

pilot
So, it seems that SWO is generally disliked or even hated by naval officers.

If SWO is the backbone of the navy and infantry the backbone of the Marines, do Marine officers dislike infantry just as much as navy dislikes SWO?

I heard that infantry can be hard do get got Marine officers, so maybe the view on infantry is totally than the view of SWO by naval officers? Or, maybe not? Hence, my post.

Thx.
The problems with the SWO community are pretty complex and it’s not really the job itself that is the reason people dislike it. On paper it should be as good and interesting as many other officer career paths but a confluence of cultural, institutional and historical factors are working against it. Marine infantry officers probably have their own issues to deal with but it’s not the same.

The problems with the SWO community are pretty complex and it’s not really the job itself that is the reason people dislike it. On paper it should be as good and interesting as many other officer career paths but a confluence of cultural, institutional and historical factors are working against it. Marine infantry officers probably have their own issues to deal with but it’s not the same.
Sure. I get that there are ups and downs with any career, both civilian and military. It's just that I've never as much negative commentary on a military officer career track than I have for SWO.

VMO4

The short time I spent playing grunt was enough for me, however, in the Corps, there is MOS 0300, whether enlisted or commissioned, , and then everything else. As an enlisted wrench turner, we were still tested every year on squad level rifleman tactics, the Navy guys would be heading to chow, and the HMA hydraulics and airframe guys were in the field behind the hangar practicing echelon left hand signals. The Corps is unbelivlably infantry centric, in all manners, at all times. Last example, in the eighties it was a things, for all pilots, no matter what you were flying, to wear woodland cami helmet covers in the a/c.

number9

Contributor
Thanks. So, if you don't want aviation, is infantry hard to get as a Marine officer? After all, don't most Marine leaders come from infantry? But, if you don't want to make the Marines your career, perhaps it's not the best specialty.

And, how to Marine officers get to go Airborne school, if they would like to do so please?
According to my friends who went the Marine officer route, I think they break each class up in to thirds. You are ranked where you place in that third and infantry is always the most desirable.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If SWO is the backbone of the Navy, then what are the aviation and submariner communities in this odd anatomical metaphor you're constructing?
Why do I feel tempted to post the “Three Kinds of People” philosophy from the movie Team America?