• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Induction / Disenrollment

Jerrycan

If a candidate fails to induct into OCS and is sent home for some reason (prior to beginning training, such as a medical issue at in-processing), how would this affect their ability to apply to other commissioning programs?

Would you get a DD214 or any kind of paperwork saying you were involuntarily disenrolled?

Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If a candidate fails to induct into OCS and is sent home for some reason (prior to beginning training, such as a medical issue at in-processing), how would this affect their ability to apply to other commissioning programs?

Would you get a DD214 or any kind of paperwork saying you were involuntarily disenrolled?

Thank you.

You might need a waiver depending on why you’re discharged. You might need a second waiver if it was for medical reasons.

Be ready to explain the OCS drop multiple times.

Jerrycan

This would be considered an OCS drop and not a failure to induct? Or is there a difference?

I'm assuming this would be different than a DOR, but from a re-enrollment perspective I'm not sure that would matter, correct? There would probably be ample paperwork by that point that I had enrolled and gone to OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

This would be considered an OCS drop and not a failure to induct? Or is there a difference?

You’re going to need to talk to an officer recruiter who’ll go through the paperwork and determine what exactly is needed.

Just go talk to one, not really sure why your hesitating unless you’re not 100% medically ready.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you.
The USMC recruiters are not going to send you unless they are sure you are going to be ready physically, that is one reason why they look for those that can get high scores on the PFT, you also have a medical exam, and you are required to disclose any medical issues.

If after all that you still have an issue they will be able to tell you the options, but you are getting into a lot of if's, maybe's, and what about's.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you are aiming to back out of Navy OCS for, say, the Army, then just let your officer recruiter know and don’t go…no harm - no foul. If you have a medical, moral, or similar reason then the best advice here is above…take to your crimp.

Jerrycan

My recruiter wanted me to apply ground after I was medically disqualified for air. I wanted an air slot. I applied and got ground, but I don't like the idea of competing for my MOS.

I already got my private pilot license and put in a bunch of work for that. In a way I'd rather go fly civilian or something, but I also want to serve.

I'm in good shape, I've considered applying special forces or something. At least I'd be going directly into it and not waiting to know my job.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
My recruiter wanted me to apply ground after I was medically disqualified for air. I wanted an air slot. I applied and got ground, but I don't like the idea of competing for my MOS.

I already got my private pilot license and put in a bunch of work for that. In a way I'd rather go fly civilian or something, but I also want to serve.

I'm in good shape, I've considered applying special forces or something. At least I'd be going directly into it and not waiting to know my job.
Got it, but just so you know, your entire military career will be “competing” for a job. No matter what a recruiter tells you, officers can not go directly into Special Forces…I don’t know about Navy SpecWar. I’ll also note that DEPENDING on we’re medically disqualified for all of the pathways to military aviation are likely closed to you (you would need to be honest on these pages to get an accurate answer). If flying is your thing, go civilian first and maybe then look at a National Guard slot.

Last note, if you join the Army or Air National Guard (especially as an officer) you will in fact know what your job will be. With the Marines your air slot gets you to flight school….from there you could end up in any number of airframes.

FormerRecruitingGuru

You do realize you’ll be competing for a platform spot if you go naval aviation, right?

Not everyone can get jets…

Jerrycan

Understood. I think knowing you have a shot at flight school - regardless of air frame - is more appealing than competing for any one of 80 MOS's. But in any case, aviation is most likely shut for me, so maybe I should take the opportunity.

I realize these slots are a recruiting tool as well, and that a lot of people wash out, so you should really want to be an officer first.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Go find an Army or Air Guard officer slot somewhere, and keep flying to get your #s to apply to the airlines.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Go find an Army or Air Guard officer slot somewhere, and keep flying to get your #s to apply to the airlines.
This….depending on where you live you could also go SF with the army in either the 19th (west coast) or 20th (east coast) SFGs.