• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inaccurate mental diagnosis

Dygatamoto77

Hello all, I am currently attempting to apply for SWO, looking up my medical records, (which I haven't done in a long time), I completely forgot I was seen for depression and then seen by a psychiatrist for "Suicidal Ideation" almost four years ago, I unfortunately made the mistake of googling symptoms and as everyone knows, google gives the most accurate information, and thought I had depression. Under past medical histroy, it says SEVERE DEPRESSION DISSORDER, SINGLE EPISODE, which I know now was a complete exaggeration and Suicidal Ideation, which wasn't true. Due to my stupid teenager self thinking I had Suicide Ideation and Major Depression dissorder, it is now on my records even though I never saw treatment, never went back for a revisit, and never took the meds they perscribed because I thought it was all blown out of proportion. Again, I KNOW I never had these because I never felt this way, but since I was technically seen for these and the fact that I gave out wrong information based and thus the doctor gave out a wrong diagnosis and will now always be on my record. I called my health provider and they legally can't alter my records at all but they cleared me that I am in good health. I hate the fact that one 30 min visit with false information will ruin my career in the Navy. I know the military is super strict about these things. I am still going to apply but was wondering my chances. Should I tell the information to MEPS even though I know without a shadow of a doubt I did not have these? or should I not say anything and hope for the best.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello all, I am currently attempting to apply for SWO, looking up my medical records, (which I haven't done in a long time), I completely forgot I was seen for depression and then seen by a psychiatrist for "Suicidal Ideation" almost four years ago, I unfortunately made the mistake of googling symptoms and as everyone knows, google gives the most accurate information, and thought I had depression. Under past medical histroy, it says SEVERE DEPRESSION DISSORDER, SINGLE EPISODE, which I know now was a complete exaggeration and Suicidal Ideation, which wasn't true. Due to my stupid teenager self thinking I had Suicide Ideation and Major Depression dissorder, it is now on my records even though I never saw treatment, never went back for a revisit, and never took the meds they perscribed because I thought it was all blown out of proportion. Again, I KNOW I never had these because I never felt this way, but since I was technically seen for these and the fact that I gave out wrong information based and thus the doctor gave out a wrong diagnosis and will now always be on my record. I called my health provider and they legally can't alter my records at all but they cleared me that I am in good health. I hate the fact that one 30 min visit with false information will ruin my career in the Navy. I know the military is super strict about these things. I am still going to apply but was wondering my chances. Should I tell the information to MEPS even though I know without a shadow of a doubt I did not have these? or should I not say anything and hope for the best.

Don't try to bullshit us. That's not something you forget.

Be honest, be truthful, and MAYBE the folks around here will want to help you.

Dygatamoto77

Not trying to bullshit anyone, I have 0 benefits of lying on here and would probably worsen the whole endeavor. If I was trying to bullshit, I sure as hell would've kept my mouth shut and bullshitted my way through the entire process. That being said, when it's something you haven't given a second thought for 4 years and at the time thought was a huge waste of time and pointless, it might not be on your radar. Never did anything about it and it never came up again, even the docs never asked about it. Regardeless of the whole situation, its still inaccurate information about the diagnosis.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You sound like you’re in denial about your past. You saw a psychiatrist and they made a diagnosis of SDD, which they aren’t typically going to do casually. You had suicidal ideations, which is also a big deal.
Bottom line here, YOU aren’t qualified to determine whether this episode you experienced is or is not a factor in whether you’re physically and mentally qualified for one of the most demanding professions on the planet.
So, disclose everything, be completely honest. Most mental health issues are waiverable for aviation if you’re off meds and symptom free for over one year. This doesn’t have to scuttle your chances of becoming an officer, but if you lie, you’re playing a dangerous game. Do the right thing.

exNavyOffRec

In addition to what has been said you can be prepared for a consult, and evaluation or several. I would say one of the key items will be were you ever prescribed medication as that itself is a whole other situation to overcome.

I have seen individuals who had a past of psychiatric "treatment" as it was really just counseling due to parents divorce with no suicide ideations take nearly 2 years to get cleared.

Dygatamoto77

You sound like you’re in denial about your past. You saw a psychiatrist and they made a diagnosis of SDD, which they aren’t typically going to do casually. You had suicidal ideations, which is also a big deal.
Bottom line here, YOU aren’t qualified to determine whether this episode you experienced is or is not a factor in whether you’re physically and mentally qualified for one of the most demanding professions on the planet.
So, disclose everything, be completely honest. Most mental health issues are waiverable for aviation if you’re off meds and symptom free for over one year. This doesn’t have to scuttle your chances of becoming an officer, but if you lie, you’re playing a dangerous game. Do the right thing.
I understand, that's what I was originally thinking but my recruiter told me to not say anything and stick to my story. I don't like lying and I also don't want to go into the navy with the underlying fear that there's a possibility they'll find me out, but she's trying to convinceme to lie so that's why I came here. In regards to my past, you make a good point that no matter what it's their word over mine, even though I unfortunately gave out inaccurate information. That being said, im fully prepared for them to investigate every inch of my mental capacity to determine if im mentally stable, if it turns out that they think im not, well they're the professionals so it is what it is

Dygatamoto77

In addition to what has been said you can be prepared for a consult, and evaluation or several. I would say one of the key items will be were you ever prescribed medication as that itself is a whole other situation to overcome.

I have seen individuals who had a past of psychiatric "treatment" as it was really just counseling due to parents divorce with no suicide ideations take nearly 2 years to get cleared.

Unfortunately they prescribed something, I dint know what it was or what specifically what it was for. I didn't take it but I know there's not way of proving that, only proving that I never got a refill. But I'll do what it takes to get my name cleared. No counseling was done, never went in again and the only way of them knowing was if they looked at a medical visit I had done several years ago. Don't know how much in detail they'll look into but if I tell them all this o would imagine a lot. Sucks that a 30 min visit can determine so much.

OK, I'll be a bit of a contrarian here for future folks reading this (and I'm not normally super-PC): if you need help, get help. Or, if you needed help, I'm glad you got help. Be honest with your docs, and then be honest about it with whomever you need to afterwards. The military isn't an easy life, and I personally know several of my classmates who "cracked", for lack of a better term. Neither you nor the Navy wants you to have the job if that might happen.

If it ends up that things don't work out with the Navy, you can try other services, be a firefighter, or just become a dentist, make lots of money, and laugh all the way to the bank as you replace the US-made flag on your house at the first sign of any Irish pennant.

As always, NavyOffRec's advice seems great to me; be honest, say you were having a tough time, and be prepared for a wait. I waited a year and a half for a knee injury, and now I could give two squats. In any case, good luck.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I understand, that's what I was originally thinking but my recruiter told me to not say anything and stick to my story. I don't like lying and I also don't want to go into the navy with the underlying fear that there's a possibility they'll find me out, but she's trying to convinceme to lie so that's why I came here. In regards to my past, you make a good point that no matter what it's their word over mine, even though I unfortunately gave out inaccurate information. That being said, im fully prepared for them to investigate every inch of my mental capacity to determine if im mentally stable, if it turns out that they think im not, well they're the professionals so it is what it is

So you’re lying in the first post and the second post and are you just lying about your recruiter now? Lying about your diagnosis, lying about the meds or lying about lying? I can’t keep up with which lie your on.

You should unfuck yourself. Seriously.

Not only are your lies bad you completely half ass them and crumble.

Stick with telling the truth kid. It my be ugly but at least people would respect you for it.

If you can’t stick to telling the truth, It doesn’t sound like military service is going to be a good fit for you. Perhaps you should consider going into journalism or local politics where bullshit will be more acceptable.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
To anyone reading this: If and when you or your FTS friends get to a NOSC as a DH, XO, or CO, please for the love of Poseidon and all the ships at sea do your best (not that you wouldn't) to make things simpler, smaller, and smarter in whatever areas you can actually affect. A little sanity goes a long way.

Example: Wherever possible, remove the requirement for a Social Security Number on a signed form, and replace it with something non-PII sensitive (DoDID/EDIPI number? name/rank/RUIC only?) assuming your boss and applicable law/reg/policy will allow it. This will save untold hours of reservists' time not having to send PDFs back n' forth encrypted to each other and the NOSC, shredding paper copies, fiddle-farting around with their home laptops to try to make the S/MIME control work on their web browser, and so on. It's the little things.
Due to my stupid teenager self thinking I had Suicide Ideation and Major Depression dissorder,

Due to my stupid teenager self thinking I had Suicide Ideation and Major Depression dissorder,

You said you had it right here.

Your not getting into the Navy.?

number9

Contributor
What does your recruiter say? If you were genuinely misdiagnosed in the past and now have a clean bill of health, talk to your recruiter and see if you can get a waiver.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

What does your recruiter say? If you were genuinely misdiagnosed in the past and now have a clean bill of health, talk to your recruiter and see if you can get a waiver.

OP stated they worried out of fear of discovery of their omission of the suicidal ideation and mental health diagnosis and came clean to their recruiter and that the recruiter, who knows them and has worked with them for a while, told them to not say anything and stick to the medical history they already submitted. If that actually happened would have been his cue to STFU and take a secret to his/her grave, but the OP thought better and decided to ask the audience of random Internet personalities who don’t know them at all and of course is telling the OP to be honest.