• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorsgrl

My husband is active duty, aircrew AT, with his 2 year degree and alot of flight time. He's close to his instrument license, he already has his privates. I decided to do some of the legwork for him and find out what the best option would be for him to get commissioned as a pilot. But the only thing I can find is STA 21. Is this the only way to go? I read somewhere about him going straight into OCS but I can't find the info about how to do it. His career counselor is not available to work with him right now so any help you guys can give would be great!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
He would be ineligible for OCS since he does not have his 4 year degree.

One of the options to complete those extra two years of education is EEAP (Enlisted Education Advancement Program), but that is NOT a commissioning program. http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/directives/1560a8.pdf

STA21 would be the best route, but you could also apply for an NROTC scholarship and get picked up to that program.

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

And finally, as long as he is younger than 21?, can apply for the Naval Academy. With you being married, that would be a difficult route to go.

patbrown08

The Navy is trying to make things easier, so they have combined many of the programs that used to exist under the STA-21 umbrella. All of the officer program instructions are combined into the OPNAV 1420.1 now. You can get this through the BUPERS website, instructions link. OCS is an option to your husband if he has a bachelor's degree. There are also a couple of commisioning programs that will send your husband back to school to finish his degree and then get commisioned from there. I went the OCS route myself, because I had already finished my degree. But, this website has a wealth of personal experience from guys who have been through the other programs too. Don't hesitate to tap that knowledge base. The important thing for an enlisted person to do, if they are interested in a commisioning program is to take the initiative to pick up the ball and run with it. Many times the information will not always appear to be out there, but if you continue to dig you will find it. Good luck.

Pat

bar1

Right now with an accociates degree, depending upon your husband's rank, he'd only be eligible for LDO or Warrent Officer, neither of which can be pilots. His best option would probably be STA-21 - he'd have 36 months to finish his bachelors degree and can use his GI Bill as well. He'd still be active duty so he'd receive full pay plus BAH. The website for it is www.sta-21.navy.mil. Good luck to the both you!

phrogs

STA 21 seems like a great program. They used to have a bunch of commisioning programs. Now only one application to fill out!!!! Look into it www.sta-21.navy.mil I was one of the lucky few that got picked up on the old seaman to admiral program (I'm now an active duty LT with no college degree) By the way, His Career Counselor's job is to help him...Keep bugging him.....I did! :)

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Phrogs hit it right on, keep bugging the career counselor. In the end though, it is your husband's responsibility for his own package. As many eyes as he can get on it will be great to check for mistakes. I went through the ECP program, basically STA21 without the $10K, and it was probably hands down the 3 best years for my wife and my family. My wife finished 3 years of college while I got my degree, and at the NROTC Unit I was at, you whole job in life was to study and get good grades, bar none. Different attitudes at different schools, but basically you have lots of time as a family for those 3 years. I would go back in a heart beat if I could. Also, those 3 years count as active duty and count towards retirement, oh darn... lol...

Lots of info on here, and great to hear that you are so supportive of him and helping him make it happen. Ask questions, there are a lot of us mustangs on here that would be more than glad to give advice and help you out.

'96 ECP SELECTEE
Graduate of UF NROTC '99 (GO GATORS!)
Naval Pilot, "MIGHTY" P3C Orion
and a proud "MUSTANG"!

patbrown08

Don't quote me on these, but I am pretty sure that EEAP went the way of the dinosaur. And if the Academy is off limits to folks with dependants. Like I said, I would double check on both of those, but I am pretty sure those would not be options for you. As previously stated though, there are still many options out there.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
STA 21?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

sailorsgrl

Thanks guys for all the help! He has decided to go the STA route. His Chief told him to just pick a program and he will back him, along with the CO and XO so now he just has to get all his ducks in a row. In his time in so far he has built a great reputation and the respect of his crew,which I know will help him. Now the next question......we need opinions of a good school. I was looking at the list of available ones but there's really no way to know which would be the best. He doesn't want to do this half a$$ed,ya know? And thanks again for all the feedback.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
seaman to admiral. Gotcha.

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

Status
Not open for further replies.