• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm a female interest in being a Naval Aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilotbabe81

angel_125.gif

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently a senior in college and I'm looking to join the military to be a pilot. I have checked out the AF but their officer recruiters have been giving me a hard time trying to get me to enlist. I would like to know what opportunties are there for me in the Navy? I would also like to know if I will know career I can have in the Navy before I sign anything?

Thank You
PB

moestud

There are a lot of opportunities for you in the navy if you want to be a pilot, and basically it boils down to three areas: jets, helos, and maritime (P-3's). And if you pass the test/physical and are selected for pilot, you will know that when you sign on the dotted line. But once you sign up and if something happens, if you fail out of the flight program or are found not physically qualified (you get a much more in depth physical once you have joined the navy, the "pre" physical doesnt' always catch problems that might NPQ you) you will serve 4 years in a job the navy selects for you, usually surface warfare officer. As fare as being a female in the navy, I have no complaints, I've been in over 4 years and have had great experiences (even in my first tour, when I did not like the job I had).
I would really think about what you want out of your future, because if you are a jet or helo gal you are going to spend a lot of time away from your family, loved ones, boyfriend, etc.. Its not an easy life.
You should also look into the marines. Talk to as many people you can, and find a good recruiter. Don't let them talk you into enlisting unless that is what you want. Go in the recruiters office with a plan and don't settle for less than what you want. Keep in mind that it seems a lot harder now a days to get a navy pilot slot and the wait is long, so start the process early.

version2point0

hold on. the MEPS physical that i took to join the BDCP isnt an "in-depth" physical enough for these guys? i mean i know that i will ahve to go through immune shots and stuff at OCS but another, "more in-depth" physical? did i read that right?

-v2.0

Spin

SNA in Meridian
For flight you have to take the Flight Physical. It's different than MEPS. I'm applying for Marine Air but the Physical is done by Navy docs so it should be the same thing. I was told also, please confirm people, that I don't have to take another Flight Physical at OCS ... they'll just do a baisc eyes, ears, etc. to make sure I'm still good to go ......

Peace,

-Spin

moestud

From what I remember from my meps physical and my flight physical, they are different, mind you they were taken about 5 yrs apart, but you will have another physical when you get to navy ocs and there they separate the pilots/nfos from the other jobs in the navy, because the pilots get their eyes tested. Then there is a physical before you start API, i imagine for those ocs'ers its an abbreviated physical, but they use equipment at NAMI in pcola that I had never seen before, in meps or even in the flight physical that I had in san diego. More indepth testing on depth perception and they take a computer pic of your eye to see if there are any problems, I knew a girl who was NPQ'd from pilot on an eye condition that was not affecting her yet, but most likely would in the future. It doesn't happen to a lot of people but it does happen.
For those from the academys and ROTC, there is still a flight physical given to you before you can start API, i'm just not sure how in depth it is.

echosierra

Ahhh yes, we refer to it as the NAMI-wammy. When you are starting API in P-cola and you have to go over to the NAMI building for more tests and "under the microscope" examinations. I knew a few people in my class who were NPQ'd for things like eyes, heart murmurs, and anthropometric measurements. I almost got the boot because some doc found spots smaller than an atom on one of my corneas. I had to take a test that was basically an eye test, but with a light shining into my eye at the same time from the sides. Their hypothesis was that if these "spots" were going to be a problem, it was taht they would bend the entering light differently from an alternate angle than head on. Thankfully, they were wrong.
I don't want to scare anyone. The Navy test all sorts of things with regard to potential aviators. Think about it... you really can't take a chance when the operator is operating with 6 degrees of freedom (for the most part), and at high speeds with machinery that isn't cheap and sometimes carries a host of other people. Don't dwell on it. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. However, if it does... remember, it's your life, and your future. You have the right to a second opinion and you should request it (for peace of mind, of course).

Good luck with your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.