• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ILST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Over on the API scedule ILST is listed as the topic for an entire day in one of the later weeks. What would that be and why does it take up an entire, prescious day?

webmaster, so I'm a Nub now huh?![B)]

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well Dave, I figured I'd give you something to work for, and look forward to . Got a better title I should put down for you? (For those that don't know, Nub is a term used in the Submarine Force, for someone who is unqualified, meaning they don't have their dolphins, aren't able to stand watches, so they are only good to go get you a cup of coffee, in the case of an emergency you just shove them out of the way and tell them not to touch anything, and are just generally worthless, and god help you if you try and sit down to watch a movie on the mess deck as a Nub, you will get everyone in crew mess yelling at you that you should be working on your quals!! Ahh the memories, now you wonder why I didn't go back to subs? ). jk with ya Dave....

As for ILST, that was a day of land survival training, if memory serves correct, we sat in a classroom and listened to a petty officer tell us how to survive off the land. They used to actually go out and practice it, but I think they realized that you were taught the same stuff over again in SERE school, so they did away with it. We also had a CPR class.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That is pretty much on the mark from what I have heard. I am expecting to get my orders when I Wing in October, go to the Basic Officer Leadership Course (2 weeks) then leave here and sometime before I start the RAG in Jacksonville, go to one of the SERE schools for another two weeks.

On a side note, gearing up for Review Stage, I have been getting double pumped since last week, and I have my cross country next weekend (sweet!). Did a mid stage review checkride out/in to Chennault in LA on friday and racked up some more flight time, all to go get one of those great Poboys, mmm!!, and of course knock out some no heading NDB approaches, only thing worse to do than that is no heading NDB, partial panel, AND losing an engine... ah looking forward to that, not! Not much more of this program left.

Dave Shutter

Now I remember where I got six months from! During my fourteen week long boot in the lovely wintery, Kentucky hills of Fort Knox. Our company was having our field week (it's two weeks normally, but the temp. was -0) and one of the other platoons DI's, a former Green Beret turned tanker, was giving us a survival class. He described Army SERE school as a six month course given to SpecOps, and pilots, namely from other services. It was a couple mths of classes, a couple mths of outdoor excercises and a couple weeks of playing hide and seek, after which you got an awesome badge for your dress greens and the subdued path for your BDU's. I'll miss that about the Army, all the stuff on your uniform. Anyway, whenever I hear SERE mentioned in Navair cirlcles I've assumed that pilots went there, just like how SEALs go to Airborne, and Ranger school.

I'll take the two week Navy version please!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/04/2000 13:15:37

Dave Shutter

webmaster...

I am expecting to get my orders when I Wing in October, go to the Basic Officer Leadership Course (2 weeks) then leave here and sometime before I start the RAG in Jacksonville, go to one of the SERE schools for another two weeks.

What's the Basic Officer Leadership course, it's more than a little self explanatory, but what exactly goes on there? You've never mentioned the P-3 RAG's before, how long is the syllabus and how intense is the mission training (ie: ASW, anti-shipping), where are the Navy SERE school's, I didn't know they had more than one?

Thanx!

So i'm a post-o-matic now huh!

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

BOLTC provides a quick overview (from what I have heard) of division officer requirements, legal, UCMJ, and case studies to help out the junior officer. You even get to forum up one morning in your khakis (vice flightsuits) and do a Uniform Inspection on your fellow shipmates, sounds like fun!! (sarcasm) I am sure topics covered will include the FITREP and EVAL system, plus defining the essential traits of a good leader, blah blah blah.... I will try to stay awake, hopefully it is not as bad as I have heard, but time will tell.

For SERE, I believe it is CA and Maine, but don't quote me on that.

As for P3 RAG, I honestly don't have a clue. All I know is that I am looking at a 4-5 month wait to start, sigh....

As you can see, I am just the fountain of widom today! Dude, I am so tunnel visioned right now looking to finish RIs and Review Stage, that I can't see the light at the end of that "proverbial" tunnel.

And yes, post-o-matic is the only thing that came to mind when I was redoing your forum post counter... maybe I will find some better inspiration later today and change it, then again maybe not... and aren't you supposed to be leaving for Pensacola sometime soon anyways?

Dave Shutter

quote:and aren't you supposed to be leaving for Pensacola sometime soon anyways?

...settle down there Beavis! I passed the ASTB, that's about it. I need to lose weight,(which isn't happening with this tall Killians in my hand) pass the PRT, get the application together and then apply for the various waivers. If I get them then I apply for pilot. If they pick me up...well, we'll see if that happens first.

Thanx for the info!

Cheer up, 4-5 mths of salary and benefits for mustering and standing watches sounds like a good deal to me! That would give me time to bang out a screenplay and ship it off to an agent, since in this career path I can't actively pursue filmwork.

As always, I'll let you know!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/05/2000 01:33:02

Status
Not open for further replies.