• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Changes? (PPL wavier)

Aeroshell

I am hearing rumors that IFS will no longer grant PPL waivers soon as the program changes; however, I have been hearing this for years now. Is there any truth to this or other gouge that anyone has?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I am hearing rumors that IFS will no longer grant PPL waivers soon as the program changes; however, I have been hearing this for years now. Is there any truth to this or other gouge that anyone has?
It was the rumor 9 months ago when I finished VT4 due to the changes for instructors going through something called KNIFE or whatever. Something designed to let API instructors get some flight time albeit civilian, and for everyone to get evaluated on the same playing field. Or it could be a money thing. I’m sure IFS isn’t any cheaper now.

Aeroshell

It was the rumor 9 months ago when I finished VT4 due to the changes for instructors going through something called KNIFE or whatever. Something designed to let API instructors get some flight time albeit civilian, and for everyone to get evaluated on the same playing field. Or it could be a money thing. I’m sure IFS isn’t any cheaper now.

I recently just found the NIFE instruction and read through it. It says that PPLs will start at the C4290 and mentions anyone with flight experience (incomplete from the USNA summer program or PPL training) can be accelerated. Other documents detail the specifics about merging USNA Powered Flight and IFS into one program where USNA still does it over the summer before 1/C year and SNAs same time as IFS now, so they will call it NIFE I guess. Question is when will that happen and how...

Another rumor I am hearing is that IFS/API will be combined which sounds like what you mentioned. Just trying to figure out how not to get stuck in Pensacola for months waiting for IFS with my PPL in hand. I hear PPLs have some problems in flight school, but I don't know how a civilian contracted syllabus to solo an airplane will mitigate those issues.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I recommend everyone just enjoy the A-pool/Phase 1 as much as they can while not getting any pink sheets. Its basically college 2.0 while your SWO/SUB buddies are knee deep in actual fleet stuff, and there's nothing the Navy can do about it. Some of the best pilots (and FOs...yay) will come from all backgrounds, and there are bullshit gaps in training at every level, TRACOM location, and without warning.

Ipso facto, it is what it is, you'll still get winged if you put in work...probably. And try to live on Perdido as much as possible.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
To echo the other gold wingers here: ENJOY YOUR TIME!!! Relax, have a frosty hopped malt beverage, and enjoy Pensacola.

Holding a PPL does not guarantee success in Primary. If anything a PPL proves you know enough to fly, it does not prove that you know how to fly a high performance aircraft using the methods that the Navy/Marine Corps use to operate these aircraft safely and effectively.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thread drift, but I think that learning to fly gliders would be better prep at a lower cost. More stick and rudder, and always aware of energy management. It would be a worthy experiment for the navy to route some studs through that pipeline
It worked for the Luftwaffe.

taxi1

pilot
It worked for the Luftwaffe.
Yup

One of the very first things you learn is how to fly form. You have a whole different relationship to weather, as the ridge lift and thermals are your energy. You read clouds differently. Every landing is dead stick. You don’t move the stick without rudder. It is cheap. It is fun.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yup

One of the very first things you learn is how to fly form. You have a whole different relationship to weather, as the ridge lift and thermals are your energy. You read clouds differently. Every landing is dead stick. You don’t move the stick without rudder. It is cheap. It is fun.

I showed up with my PPL-G. Still had to do IFS. In primary my on-wing would always tell me that I was too comfortable without an engine.

Flying sailplanes is the most fun flying I've done, and it's flying for the sport of flying. Your skills are what allow to you stay aloft and fly cross country tasks.

PMPT

don't sweat it. even if you have a PPL and have to go back through IFS, see it as a positive - a chance for some quick review in aviation basics and 12-15 free hours in a piper or cessna from the Navy. Enjoy living in Pensacola, especially during this stage when you really won't be very busy. Pick up a hobby, go to the gym, hit the beach, and enjoy life. You'll have breaks in training going forward but nothing like this. Make the most of the free time being unemployed with a paycheck.

I recently just found the NIFE instruction and read through it. It says that PPLs will start at the C4290 and mentions anyone with flight experience (incomplete from the USNA summer program or PPL training) can be accelerated. Other documents detail the specifics about merging USNA Powered Flight and IFS into one program where USNA still does it over the summer before 1/C year and SNAs same time as IFS now, so they will call it NIFE I guess. Question is when will that happen and how...

Another rumor I am hearing is that IFS/API will be combined which sounds like what you mentioned. Just trying to figure out how not to get stuck in Pensacola for months waiting for IFS with my PPL in hand. I hear PPLs have some problems in flight school, but I don't know how a civilian contracted syllabus to solo an airplane will mitigate those issues.
Link to the NIFE Instruction?

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
I am wondering about possible changes surrounding the transition from A-pool to IFS in general... when I checked in I was on the IFS waitlist after taking the APIT. Several friends have transitioned to IFS and then swim, then API, etc. Now the waitlist is for Water Surv instead of IFS and no one will even acknowledge that its changed. Is this part of setting up SNAs for a new program?

solo7

I am wondering about possible changes surrounding the transition from A-pool to IFS in general... when I checked in I was on the IFS waitlist after taking the APIT. Several friends have transitioned to IFS and then swim, then API, etc. Now the waitlist is for Water Surv instead of IFS and no one will even acknowledge that its changed. Is this part of setting up SNAs for a new program?

Possibly.. In IFS they gave some details about NIFE and said we should enjoy the IFS program while it's still here. Also a ton of people recently started talking about NIFE, and I've heard from a couple of separate ensigns the cutoff is approaching soon, but there is no verifying that. I don't think anyone knows when, but there are certain signs that reasonably indicate it maybe is on the radar. It's all hearsay for the time being.

So I’m currently awaiting to pick up flight school, I’ll pick up in the next few months according to the current state of things. NIFE is going into effect the week after 4th of July, and will consist of 4 weeks of academics followed by the flying portion (I’m assuming another 2 weeks). It is supposedly combining IFS and API into one program, and all those who are IFS complete (but not API complete) or have a PPL or higher will be required to do the academic portion but not the flying portion. This is the current information the students have at the moment but updates are still happening, so I can try to bring any new information as it comes.