• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I think I'm the only idiot to be NPQ'd due to hearing...

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
K so I was pro-rec'd back in Jan. for SNA. Went to MEPS in March and failed the hearing test. I figured it was no big deal, had been in a loud environment the night before. However now I've been to two other Audiologists that say I have high frequency hearing loss at 4kHz...
Basically my sheet reads rt ear 5 5 5 10 50 70 35 35 lft ear 5 5 5 5 55 60 15 15 tested at 250hz 500hz 1khz 2khz 3khz 3500hz 4khz 6khz 8khz

I also did some speech recognition tests and I believe I passed those, but I'm not sure how to read those results.

Yes I found the waiver guide on here, BUT it seems ridiculously open to interpretation by whichever Doc I get. So I'm planning on submitting my results and hoping the Doc is having a good day that day. My doc just said that he thinks I'd be fine, but that he didn't really have a clue what the military standards are. Its significant loss, but only at one frequency.

Anybody else seen or heard of similar situations??

Oh and for the record, I'm fairly certain the hearing loss is caused by the second job as a bartender I picked up to affored PRK and flight lessons... Oh the irony :(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 70 and 60 are the ones that caught my eye.

Is it hereditary or did you play with fireworks as a kid...like me?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
That sucks I hope the waiver works out. Honestly, I was pushing the button at the MEPS hearing test like I was buzzing in on Jeopardy on a few I'm surprised I passed. I really don't know how the waiver would work but stick with it. I don't know how it works but I wouldn't submit any results from a civilian doc until a Doc passes you, I'm sure you will have to submit all your visits but at least you will have an eval sheet that says you can hear.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
That audiogram...the one you posted results for, how long after the bartender job was it taken?

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
The 70 and 60 are the ones that caught my eye.

Is it hereditary or did you play with fireworks as a kid...like me?

No. No fireworks or hereditary issues, dad is a retired pilot with no issues. It start during my Army period when I fired a magazine without earplugs.... Took two days to recover at all from that. Then I've been working in extremely loud bars for three years now. I notice a very slight amount of hearing loss, but nothing major at all, but when they make that damn graph it looks like I should be deaf...

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
That audiogram...the one you posted results for, how long after the bartender job was it taken?

I'm still working there, I just wear ear protection now. I took a five days off before I went in today for my exam.