• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I own a business, what do I do

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
My business builds pricing packages for proposals. My background is in utilities and defense. Being that many military bases are privatizing and outsourcing their utilities operations there is strong potential for "work" in this arena. ...

This is more enlightening and my advice remains in place with extra emphasis on conslut (I misspelled it but it actually makes sense!) with an attorney. Find an attorney who specializes in government contracting ethics, pay him for one hour's worth of advice. The advice you will get will revolve around firewalls and remaining away from anything base management related. I think you are on firm footing, but there is a great surprise when someone in the Navy challenges you on this and you simply say, "I've consulted with my attorney who is specialized in government contracting ethics and I have a green light."

I wish you the best of luck and Ithink you've got your head on straight. Get those wings first, get through the RAG, and show up, shutup (for a while) and learn to fight your aircraft.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Just something to add on to what everyone is saying - when/if you consult with a JAG regarding the side business, if they conclude that you are free and clear and don't have any issues - GET IT IN WRITING! If the JAG is willing to give you actual "legal advice" then they will also be ok putting that advice in a letter. If you ever get questioned on it down the road, you'll have the lawyer's advice in writing to refer people to. That's a lot easier than trying to track down the former RLSO LTJG at Norfolk who is now CSG LCDR at NAS Jax or wherever.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
This is more enlightening and my advice remains in place with extra emphasis on conslut (I misspelled it but it actually makes sense!) with an attorney. Find an attorney who specializes in government contracting ethics, pay him for one hour's worth of advice. The advice you will get will revolve around firewalls and remaining away from anything base management related. I think you are on firm footing, but there is a great surprise when someone in the Navy challenges you on this and you simply say, "I've consulted with my attorney who is specialized in government contracting ethics and I have a green light."

I wish you the best of luck and Ithink you've got your head on straight. Get those wings first, get through the RAG, and show up, shutup (for a while) and learn to fight your aircraft.
Thanks. I'm ready to hit the ground running and eat this elephant one bite at a time. Sound advice and my brother in law runs a law firm but knowing I would have access to a naval perspective helps a lot because there's a lot the civilian world, including me, knows nothing about in regards to how the military views things. Hopefully I'll see more great communal support like I've seen here once I'm on the inside. Good lookout, everyone.