• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I like it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Luv the new topic!!!

If there's one topic about Naval Aviation that I have found and heard more conflicting info on, it's what happens in between a jet RAG and the day you graduate from Primary. The sites for the jet training squadrons at Kingsville and Meridian offer a lot of great general info but nothing really definitive on the length of training, and even a lot of general info seems contradictory. Aren't those squadrons supposed to all be doing the same thing?!

No offense John or Steve, but I've been itching to talk to some jet students!

Thanx!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 26 June 2000

Phoenix

I love you Dave !
That´s just the topic I was waiting for. I hope you get some good info. BTW, ask your brother. He was a jet pilot, he must have some connections.

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Dave Shutter

I want to iron this out once and for all...

VT's 21 & 22 in Kingsville do a combined Intermediate/advanced in the T-45A which lasts about nine months...

From TW2 at Kingsville...

quote:Curriculum:
Students report to Training Air Wing TWO at NAS Kingsville from primary flight training at NAS Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, TX or NAS Whitiing Field, Milton, FL. They immediately begin nearly nine months of training here at Naval Air Station Kingsville.

Training begins in the Ground Training department of Training Wing TWO and consists of three weeks of classroom instruction. Students attend classes on subjects that include Engineering (T-45A), Aerodynamics, Meteorology, Flight Rules and Regulations, and Instrument Navigation. During this ground school training they also begin simulator events that teach them capabilities and systems in the T-45A and how to deal with malfunctions of those systems.

The T-45TS Strike Flight Curriculum is comprised of 16 flight stages. During these 16 stages students will fly approximately 156 hours. This includes nearly 47 hours of solo flight time. Students will also fly approximately 96 hours in aircraft simulators before they complete the syllabus.

The first eight stages of training are designed to introduce the student naval aviator to jet aircraft and provide a basis for future stages. They include, Instrument training, Jet Familiarization flights, Formation flights, Night Familiarization flights, and Land Based Carrier Qualifications.
During these stages the students are qualified to fly solo in the T-45A in all weather conditions, they learn to fly in two and four plane formation flights, and they learn how to land the T-45A the same way they will on an Aircraft Carrier.

...sounds like intermediate to me. Here's the second half...

quote:The later stages of training introduce the student to the strike community with Operational Navigation in which the students learn to plan and fly low level flight routes. They also fly Weapons, Guns, and Air Combat Maneuvers which introduce the student to different offensive weapons and tactics. In weapons the students drop 25 lb. Practice bombs at a target range near Kingsville, they practice gunnery and Air Combat Maneuvers with other aircraft and a camera mounted in the cockpit that records the encounters. These stages prepare the students for the tactical jets that they will be flying when they leave Kingsville for the US Navy fleet.

The syllabus culminates in the second Carrier Qualification Stage when the students travel to an active aircraft carrier to complete their Carrier Qualification and make their first Carrier Landings. Every student must carrier qualify by completing 14 landings and 10 arrested landings aboard an Aircraft Carrier before they earn their Wings of Gold.

...and that sounds like advanced, Kewl...

Now...VT's 7 & 9 in Meridian. VT-9 does the Intermediate (5 months) in the Buckeye along with the E2/C2 training, and then you finally get to advanced in the T-45 in VT-7, having to learn a new jet all over again, BUT that jet is the glass cockpit-21 Goshawk!

That's the picture of jet training I have so far, please feel free to fill in any blanks...

My questions:

Does the T-45 have some type of gun or gun simulator?

Do they still do live gunnery in the T-2, that would be with live ammo on hard targets, right? GerberGouge says so....I love the smell of cordite in the morning.

How long is advanced (approx.) at VT-7 and what is the time savings by going to Kingsville, if any?

The Goshawk; how much more advanced is the "C" over the "A", besides the glass cockpit?

Do T-45C students have a better shot than T-45A students at that other glass cockpit jet, the Hornet?

Since the Kingsville curriculum is streamlined into one cycle, I quess there is no transferring from Meridian for advanced, or vice versa? It's one or the other, right?

What was your NSS, If you don't mind me asking?

And why the hell aren't the RAG sites this organized?

Well, that'll do for now. I hope you don't mind me asking this many questions, but like I said, this has confused me for a while.

Thanx for any info Matt, be safe and good luck!

P.S., How's that southern Mississippi weather right now?

Fly Navy!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 27 June 2000

Dave Shutter

So the time difference isn't that great, Kingsville being a little under a year with Meridian being just a little over. Not a bad tradeoff when you consider the extra hours you get, A benefit I hadn't thought of. Now that you mention it Matt, I wouldn't mind flying different aircraft either. There's a lot of history in the T-2. RADM. Paul Gillchrist was the first man to eject in one of those, way the f*ck back in 1959!

You've basically sold me on going to Meridian, if given the choice. By the way, can you chose your jet training station if you score high enough, like in Primary, and what are the odds of actually getting it?

So your saying yes...a T-45C stud' has a better shot at a Hornet than a T-45A stud'?

And a question on Primary. As I've read it, your post-primary NSS is 95% flying grades and 5% from API. How do they figure out the 95% in primary? How is that score compliled and how much is from what you do with your hands in the airplane compared to written tests or the such?

Speaking of old training jets, a lot of us on the forum were sad when they retired the last TA-4J's. A bummer...to fly the same jet that McCain flew off the Forrestal...wow.

Thanx again for the info Matt...I can almost smell the JP-5...luvin it!

D

Dave Shutter

As affectionately as we all regard the TA-4J, I have to agree with you on not missing the Scooter. I saw one up close at an air show recently (the same one where the F-14 cracsed) and I could not believe the cockpit in that thing, it was smaller than a Maxda RX-7. I'm a big guy, 6'2, 200+lbs. Me and the scooter...it's just not happenin'!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 28 June 2000

beau

Sir,
Your right about the gun pattern from what I've heard from my father. When he was in jet training in the F-9 (1970-71) when he got a down on one of the gun pattern flights. It was his only down through out his flight training. In those days (may still do it now) they shot bullets with painted tips at a banner towed behind another jet. He said it was hard to get set up just right. Anyway he ended up flying the EA-3B (bigest airplane to operate from carrier and no ejection seat) then transitioned in to the EA-6B and put his twenty years in.

Midn Fincher
OU NROTC
go sooners

Finch

Status
Not open for further replies.