• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

i am confused...as usual since i started this adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

chericheri

So the gouge that everyone's always referring to...it's a pdf file that's entitled astb that is the FIRST test before anything else that I will be taking to get into OCS correct?? So EVERYONE that wants to be an officer has to take tests w/aviation stuff in it or am I totally confused? How many questions are there really about history, founders of the Navy and such? Or is the VERY FIRST test just verbal/math and mechanical and that's it??

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
The test is more reasoning skills. Kinda like the SAT. You can't study for it per se. Just go and kick ass. And the purple color is a bit LOUD for my eyes. Tone it down a hair?

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Ok, just take a deep breath and relax. The first part of the OAR, which from what I understand determines your score you need to make (look at the other thread you started to see the website) for whatever program (NFO, SWO, etc) you are applying too. If I remember correctly, that part of the test was English, Math, and mechanical concentration. The rest of the test, which determines your eligibility for NFO and such, is naval history, flight stuff (not quite sure what its called) and what not. Also, your recruiter should (if he is any good) be able to help you with what will be on the test and what you need to study (like I said in the other post, I didn't study at all and still did decent).
If you have a college degree, you should do well. ALot of programs don't require an extremely high score, so just relax.....you won't do well if your all nervous.
Good luck!!
-Erin Leigh

chericheri

Thanks that helps. Well I wasn't worried in the beginning b/c I did really well on my sat's and act's and I figured it would be a lot like this but then I started reading stuff on here and talking to people and got all frazzled...not to fear I'm just trying to get information I never let myself get too stressed out. But this is something that I really want to do so I want to be prepared and then kick ass...which I will. Hopefully my recruiter will be more helpful in person...so far hasn't really done much for me but have only talked to him on the phone b/c he's 2.5 hrs away...ok guys thur. is my test I'll shoot for 70 how about that?? Thanks for your help....The loud colors- I'm a loud person...fitting!

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
Chericheri,
First you do have to take all the sections on the test, including the spatial apperception (the little planes in different attitudes). This is the very first step before recruiters will be interesting in helping you with the process. I don't think there are questions about history, I think you're thinking about the navigation section... My advice: Study the gouge on this site with the practice tests, they are a pretty good idea of what to expect. Also there are a few books you could pick up.. You might try doing a practice test, under test conditions to see if you're really ready to take the test... If not, take some time.. I studied for a month... Feel free to ask more questions... Always glad to help
~Binary Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.