• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hypothyroid

phrog_guy

I'm a former enlisted Marine, currently a Guard UH-60 pilot in Iraq. Planning on dropping an interservice transfer packet and getting back into the Corps. Supposing I get back in, what are the chances that I will be granted a waiver/exception to policy for hypothyroid and continue to fly?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Well, I have to admit it doesn't look good. HOWEVER, NOMI could very likely consider you 'designated personnel' since you are a pilot. I am not sure if that designation depends on whether or not you were USN/USMC designated or not.

Call this number on Monday; they will be able to get you an answer. POC:
Physical Qualifications
220 Hovey Rd
attn : Code 342
Pensacola , FL 32508
850-452-2187 or 850-452-8645 (DSN 922)

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver Guide - Endocrinology.pdf

WAIVER: A history of hypothyroidism is CD for all DIF. Applicants for SNA and SNFO are CD, no waiver recommended. All other categories of applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A waiver for designated personnel may be recommended for uncomplicated hypothyroidism when the patient is clinically and chemically euthyroid on a stable dose of replacement levothyroxine (at least 6 weeks), with the TSH stable and in normal range.

How long have you had it? When was it diagnosed?

phrog_guy

Thanks Doc

I've had it since 1998 back when I used to be in the air wing. It is definitely uncomplicated and under control with levothyroxine. Blood tests are always normal.

I'm going to give that number a call on Monday and see what they have to say. I should make sure I'm squared away medically before getting ahead of myself on the admin/packet side of the house.