• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting in South Texas

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I found out about a great hunting deal through the MWR. It is a hunting area called the Escondido Ranch, it's about 120 miles from NAS Corpus (no idea from K'ville)

I went with my budyy and split gas, we hunted one night (for hogs) and had lodging there. The hunt was $50, the room was $20 (15 for E-5 and below) and it was run by some great petty officers and a chief who really know their shit. You need yer own gun and have to be able to hit a paper plate from 50 yds (not hard) or from 100 yds if you are scoped.

I had a great time, they hunt the weekend of the full moon during the summer and I think more during fall/winter for deer. You can pretty much shoot what you see out there (lots of rabbits, good meat) I saw a guy who bagged a bobcat, a 110 pound hog, and I got a rabbit (with a .30-30, not much left to eat:()

Pretty good deal.
(I posted the bottom because the link for the ranch does not seem to be working)

Facility Name
Escondido Ranch
2 hours north of CorpusChristi, 25 miles outside Freer, TX, Navy Region South
Reservations
830-373-4419
Accommodations
Lodge with 13 rooms, 1 cabin (sleeps 8), 12 RV sites W/S/E; open Thursday through Sunday
Amenities
Hunting, showers in the Lodge, Nueces River on ranch property
Web site link
http://www.nask.navy.mil/mwr.htm

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
watch out for these guys.....

050322_hogzilla3.jpg

they'll mess you up!

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Kingsville dudes:
For those who want to hunt deer out of Escondido, just go by the ITT office and buy tickets for the lottery. It's the only way you can get a spot for deer. They draw for three different hunting periods and you can hunt your deer every day during that period until you tag one. I think the tickets are around $5 or something... Oh, and you'll have to buy a Kings Big Game Hunting Club card, if I remember right. All in all, not a bad deal for some South Texas deer.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I hunted Escondido a few times and it's great. It's a great ranch to call predators.