• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN HUMINT Questions

unbroken

Naval officer
What exactly is the process for applying for HUMINT billets? Is additional training, etc., required? A former colleague who is currently USNR 1835 said that if I was interested in doing that, I could "apply to NEIC 0106/Kennedy 0166/ AFRICOM 0116." Do each have a separate training pipeline, or are those follow-on assignments after training is complete? Also, with which types of units do these intel officers typically deploy? (I assume SEALs, any others?)

Doesn't seem to be much on the reserve forums or Google re Navy HUMINT, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Last edited:

azguy

None
I think you'll be pretty disappointed by what the term "HUMINT" means to NEIC and the rest. If you are passionate about that stuff, apply to CIA's NCS.

unbroken

Naval officer
Thanks. As originally stated, I'm curious to hear about the process of applying for Navy HUMINT, though. Appreciate anyone who can offer insight to this end.

azguy

None
The units you cite (only familiar with 2 of the 3, so take this generally) do Navy HUMINT. You will use JO APPLY to bid for a billet in those units the same as any other reserve job. As you progress through your 1835 career you may become eligible, years down the road, for jobs that do no-kidding HUMINT. I don't know how reservists get there specifically, on the active duty side they look for candidates at the seasoned JO level.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. As originally stated, I'm curious to hear about the process of applying for Navy HUMINT, though. Appreciate anyone who can offer insight to this end.

As azguy already alluded to, this is a question to ask of folks when you get into the intel community rather than here.

unbroken

Naval officer
The units you cite (only familiar with 2 of the 3, so take this generally) do Navy HUMINT. You will use JO APPLY to bid for a billet in those units the same as any other reserve job. As you progress through your 1835 career you may become eligible, years down the road, for jobs that do no-kidding HUMINT. I don't know how reservists get there specifically, on the active duty side they look for candidates at the seasoned JO level.

Thanks, appreciate your time!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't seem to be much on the reserve forums or Google re Navy HUMINT, so thought I'd ask.
There's a reason for that. Apply for Intel. Become an Intel Ensign. Become a damn good Intel Ensign. Then become a damn good Intel JG, LT, etc. At some point in that progression, you will accumulate the professional credibility and access to be able to ask cogent questions of people who can answer your original question. You will also be in a much better position to know if that is what you want to do with your Navy Reserve career.

Not only is the aviation crowd not in the business of HUMINT, even if we were, we couldn't and wouldn't talk about it here. Sources and methods of acquiring intel are the crown jewels of any country's intelligence apparatus, and they are classified accordingly.

unbroken

Naval officer
Not only is the aviation crowd not in the business of HUMINT, even if we were, we couldn't and wouldn't talk about it here. Sources and methods of acquiring intel are the crown jewels of any country's intelligence apparatus, and they are classified accordingly.

Respectfully, I asked about neither. My question asks the process of preparing for that billet, not from whom or how intel is gathered.

Last edited:

IRfly

None
Respectfully, I asked about neither. My question asks the process of preparing for that billet, not from whom or how intel is gathered.
Oh, in that case the answer is easy:

1. Kick ass (at whatever job you're given)
2. Take names (network within the community, build a good reputation as someone who a) makes good decisions, and b) wouldn't be hell to be stuck in an airport with)
3. Get lucky (hope that the powers-that-be are looking for whatever it is you've got)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

At least 2-3 people on here have answered that question. Worry about getting into the 1835 community first and once you're in you'll have or should have a mentor who can help you out along the way. There's not much you can do right now until you're officially in the 1835 community.

unbroken

Naval officer
Oh, in that case the answer is easy:

1. Kick ass (at whatever job you're given)
2. Take names (network within the community, build a good reputation as someone who a) makes good decisions, and b) wouldn't be hell to be stuck in an airport with)
3. Get lucky (hope that the powers-that-be are looking for whatever it is you've got)

Ha, thanks. (b) reminds me of a "test" we used to do for job candidates at my old workplace. We called it the "layover test" -- Interviewers were asked to rate, "How much would you enjoy being stuck in an airport during a 6 hour layover with this candidate?" It's amazing how many people you weed out with that metric!