• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huge Phuckups

FlyinRock

I know there are some real good ones out there that can be funny as well as instructional. The fatals that come as a result, are the sad part, but we can learn from them. With the depth of experience on AW, I'm hoping that this will draw from the pool of hard learned lessons and avoid making the same mistakes.
I'm not immune from making my share of really stupid mistakes, but to duplicate them has been difficult. Pain and suffering is a great teacher.
My really dumb one happened one night when I missed the fact that a 40kt headwind turned into a 40kt tailwind and I overflew an airport before I expected to (and it was right under me!!!). The reason was my groundspeed changed dramatically and I missed it with an engine that was giving up on me and I got distracted. Fortunately no one got killed but we got beat up pretty good. That happened over 43 years ago and the lesson remains with me every time I fly.
Care to share any stories that we can all learn from?
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Semper fi
Rocky

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Scariest f**kup I had was on my first night flight... Got strapped in, got through the checklists, armed the seat, took off, went to the moa, completed the hop, got back into the landing pattern and after a few landings I noticed that I hadn't connected my upper koch fittings.

For the non-aviators or people that aren't familiar with ejection seats, essentially the upper koch fittings are what connects you to your parachute in the even of an ejection.

My stomach just knotted up and I connected them right away. If I needed to eject, I would've been dead meat.

I think it goes back to checklist discipline and complacency.... It was a wakeup call for me. Now when I check my 8 connections during the takeoff checks, I don't just pay it lip service anymore, I look at every single connection.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My phuckup... lack of scan, related to personal issues.

Dash 2 in ECMO one, fellow JO pilot, XO and hinge in the back. My job: call out airspeeds and scan the engine instruments on the take off roll. Did I do that? Not so much. We had a pitot static failure, which would have been cause for an abort. Because my scan was virtually non-existant, we didn't notice the airspeed indicator stayed at zero until we were over 100 kts... didn't know how fast we were. With a senior pilot in lead and the pilot and I sure they had good airspeed (they didn't abort), we took it flying, dumped alot of gas and lead led us in and dropped us off on a section approach.

Moral of the story: keep your scan going no matter what. Had we been a single, we'd have been forced into a high speed about not knowing what our airspeed was. Not a good place to be in a jet whose brakes were designed for an aircaft that's about 10,000 lbs llighter. Know your aircraft and know what to abort for. We don't specifically address pitot-static failure in the abort brief, but we do discuss meeting line speed after 2K' of roll...

The other lesson learned from this is that looking back on it, I probably shouldn't have been flying that day. I had some personal issues going on that took my mind off of the task at hand... safely completeing the mission. Don't be afraid to speak up and say "I have some personal issues and I can't fly" You won't be an asshole for it. Its better to have ops re work the sched, sit out and regroup than put yourself and 7 of your buddies in danger.

The third thing is that we practice certain emergency procedures and stuff for a reason. We don't do alot of section work in the Prowler, but we do practice things like single engine, no flap no slat and section approaches. Having done a ton of simulate emergency approaches, I recaged and excecuted... I did what I'd practiced. Yes, we had pitot static failure, but the procedures used to get us on deck were the exact same as if we'd been practicing with a full up jet. Practice often and remember what you practice. It can and will save your ass one day.

srqwho

pilot
In IFS during my XC solo I thought I would play with the GPS in the Piper Warrior on my way home from a touch and go at the airport I flew the cross country to (having never bothered to use it before... fantastic idea). I really had no reason to use it... it was a picture perfect day when I left and vis was awesome at the time. Anyway, there is a vortac and an Airport by the same name in the Pcola area and I punched in the name of the vortac and I selected it. Said vortac and airport are not in the same exact location... close by, but far enough that you could get turned around if you are looking for one and are at the other. About 20min later I was looking outside and didn't recognize anything. At the same time some weather was rolling in and vis was getting worse and I knew I had to get on the ground soon or have to divert in order to not get caught up in an afternoon thunderstorm. Being that I was a little too proud (or I forgot... can't remember) I didn't call Pcola or Eglin approach to ask them to help me get to where I needed to go. I was still getting traffic calls, but that was it. At the time I think my altitude was 2500 ft MSL. As I pulled out the sectional to try and see if I could identify some stuff on the ground I glanced out the front window and about 5 NM from my position was said airport and I was staring down the centerline of an active runway. I also noticed at the same time I had forgot to turn off my landing lights from my previous touch and go at the airport I had just left. I can only imagine what the guy in the tower was thinking (I think this airport in controlled with radar but I forget). Once I found the airport on the sectional I took a heading off the vortac and got home landing about 5 min prior to a downpour. What happened...? Well, having never used the GPS I got my actual track over the ground mixed up with the track that the GPS plotted for me to my vortac... and with the mess of roads and other crap on the display I got confused on where to fly. And, the symbol for the airport was prominent and I fixated on that on the screen. I was using the CDI as back-up, but the airport and vortac were close enough that it was only slightly deflected and I thought it was a little off. Yeah I'm not proud of this, but I learned that in the aircraft is not the time to try new things, especially when it comes to navigation. While this isn't a huge screw-up, it was an eye-opener and I realized that not everybody flying a plane knows what they are doing well enough to stay alert and out of your business... yeah, that day I was THAT guy. :confused:

Lawman

None
Buddy Swapped into a 67 for the second period flight. Flew the whole way back to Cairns and landed. Realized I had never put my shoulder straps on after we shut down and I went to unbuckle my harness.

Bevo16

pilot
I flew through an artillery barrage once.

Kind of a new twist on "big sky/little airplane". I went "big sky/little airplane/really little invisible supersonic artillery rounds".

Never failed to check NOTAMS again.

Lawman

None
I flew through an artillery barrage once.

Kind of a new twist on "big sky/little airplane". I went "big sky/little airplane/really little invisible supersonic artillery rounds".

Never failed to check NOTAMS again.

About two months ago they had a Standards Pilot fly through one of our ranges while it was hot in a Hawk.... with the CG on board. Apparently the CG said "Shit happens."

jtmedli

pilot
We had a bad flap switch on the cessna and on the way back from a XC (10 miles from home) the flap switch dropped to 30degrees on me out the blue. That thing slowed down so fast I actually came forward in my seat a little bit. Luckily I knew what it was and threw them back up to 0 before I lost any significant airspeed, but still. That was a scary moment for someone with on 25-30 hrs.

Not really my fault though, but a plane with a bad part on it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I was once flying a long straight in on a night hop. Approach handed us off to the tower, and I reported an eight mile final. Tower requested that we report a two mile final with the gear. No problem. The approach was continued to a touch and go, and we switched back to approach.

On the next pass, tower once again advised us to report a two mile final with the gear.

IP: "Hey...did you report a two mile final last pass?"
Me: "Nope, did you?
IP: "Nope."
Me: "I can't remember...did they clear us for the bounce before two miles?"
IP: "Nope. We didn't get clearance for the touch and go. Actually, I don't even think they saw us bounce. Shit."

Aviate, navigate, communicate. I had my head up my ass that entire approach.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I was once flying a long straight in on a night hop. Approach handed us off to the tower, and I reported an eight mile final. Tower requested that we report a two mile final with the gear. No problem. The approach was continued to a touch and go, and we switched back to approach.

On the next pass, tower once again advised us to report a two mile final with the gear.

IP: "Hey...did you report a two mile final last pass?"
Me: "Nope, did you?
IP: "Nope."
Me: "I can't remember...did they clear us for the bounce before two miles?"
IP: "Nope. We didn't get clearance for the touch and go. Actually, I don't even think they saw us bounce. Shit."

Aviate, navigate, communicate. I had my head up my ass that entire approach.

I'd be willing to bet that has happened more than a few times. I may have been guilty of that once but neither the IP or myself could be sure. Shit happens but a good learning point.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I got two HUGE phuckups out of the way early. Luckily nothing happened and no one was the wiser... except me. Definitely made HUGE contributions into making me a better pilot by scaring the piss out of me:

1st: Went to the plane, pre-flighted and noted fuel wasn't topped off. Called unicom and requested top off. I didn't need the gas for the trip, but figured it'd be safer. Gas truck came out, popped the caps and started going at it, to no avail. Gas trucked was fooked and unable to pump. Every other time I'd gotten gas, I'd checked the caps and hopped in and off I went. In the confusion, and talking with the guys, I forgot to check the caps and I either forgot altogether or just assumed they screwed em back in (NEVER ASSUME. If you're flying the thing, YOU check- EVERY time.).

I landed at my destination, hopped out to get lunch with my PASSENGERS, and came back for a brief once-over before the return trip. Found the gas caps dangling by their chains on the top of the wing..... I turned WHITE and discreetly screwed them in, hopped in, flew home and said nothing about it to the pax.

NOW: I monitored fuel the whole time, it was a short trip, and there were PLENTY of airfields below. Fuel was either not being siphoned out of the open holes or it was such a slow siphon that I didn't notice, because we had plenty of gas when we landed, but if ANYTHING about this situation was different, it could have been VERY bad. This was one lesson in never assuming that people who touch your aircraft leave it in flying order. NEVER assume, always double check.

2nd: I was at the hold short of an un-controlled field. A person was on short final and and landed. I waited a decent amount of time, watching their rollout. I could see them start to turn off, and immediately took the runway making my traffic call. Rolled up the engines, checked my gauges and heard nothing from any conflicting traffic. I started my roll, and lifted off uneventfully. As I looked down after liftoff, I noticed that as I passed about <500ft from where I rotated, the aircraft I saw land and rollout before me, was still turning off on the taxiway. Again, that stomach-drop and I'm sure I turned white again. I quickly thought back and realized I'd never heard them call clear of the active, and I quickly kicked myself before continuing on with the more pressing matter of flying the aircraft.

Again, I assumed that given the ample time I waited, and seeing them start to turn onto the taxiway, I was OK. Wrong. They never called clear, and before I ever started to roll, I should have given a courtesy call asking if they were clear. ASSUMING will get you killed. Of course, had they still been on the active and closer to me when I started my roll, I would have likely aborted and stopped, at the very BEST or had an incursion or possible mishap had I not done so in time.

In both situations, nothing happened and no one was the wiser. But I learned two valuable lessons early on in my aviation career. Thank god nothing happened and I could place two statistics in my hat of "bad things" that luckily had no consequences. I think that while these situations should be avoided at all costs, when they do happen, and nothing bad results from them, they can be an invaluable lesson that makes you a better pilot.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I was 16 and on one of my first few solos in a 172. Flew over to Whidbey right near Possession Point to practice turns about a point. I did my clearing turns and initiated the turn. Ended up getting fixated trying to maintain distance on the turn and failed to scan for traffic during the maneuver. I got through about 270 degrees when I looked up to a Piper Warrior passing about 100-150 feet off my nose.

It scared the shit out of me. I learned that fixation on anything while flying can and will get you killed.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Primary off a "rejected" touch and go. Even with the trim aid in a T-6, a significant amount of right boot was needed to keep the pointy-ish end pointing down the white stripes. I throw the power on the plane, IP says "good call on the waveoff, you weren't down by the 1 board..."
I feed in what seems like a normal amount of boot to match up to where my power was set, only instead of the power taking the half potato to spool up and be there, it went one potato, two potato, three potato OH FAWK. We were pointing 15 to 20 degrees off runway heading, in ground effect, with not a lot of airspeed. IP starts screaming I got it I got it my airplane so I take my hands off the stick...and freeze with the full right boot in. This is not making the airplane fly ANY better. I finally un eff myself, take the rudder out and the plane starts flying the way it was meant to. The IP (great dude) goes "let's go home. I almost pooped myself a little bit and I think we've learned everything we're going to learn today."

Lesson: We aren't robots for a reason. Fly with what the plane's giving you, not necessarily what you want/believe it's going to give you.

Only flight I downed in all of flight school.