• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS Jr. and SR. USNA hopefuls

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prospective USNA candidates pay attention. Following is the most basic time line info for applicants to the USNA. I noticed this forum is thread bare so speak up if you have questions. I am a Blue and Gold Officer and there are lots of USNA graduates and mids on AW that will help you out.

If you are going to be a Junior, make sure you get involved in leadership positions over the next year. Work hard on your grades and make sure you stay active athletically. Enroll in AP or Honors classes at every opportunity. Take the PSAT, as a minimum, and if possible the SAT or ACT later in the school year. If you aren't scoring well talk to your Guidance Office about how to improve your score. Take a look at the USNA web site for info on Summer Seminar and complete the initial application. Make every effort to attend Summer Seminar between your Jr. and Sr. year. Applications open up in February.

If you are Senior, fill out the initial application info on the USNA website if you haven't already done so. The initial application must be filed no later then 31JAN2009. Miss that and you are out of the running. It isn't too soon to make initial contact with you nomination sources. For most everyone that is your Congressman and both Senators. Apply to all three! Write them a professional, respectful letter advising them of your intention to apply for the USNA and ask them to put you on their contact list for future information on nominating interviews and service academy presentations. Most congressional offices start the nominating interviews in September or October and they run through December. Take the SAT or ACT at the first availably. Consider taking both tests since they are different and some people score better on one then the other. Don't let up on your grades. If you are a long time member of an organization make an effort to get into a leadership position this year. Your Blue and Gold Officer will be contacting you in the fall. Be courteous and return his calls and emails promptly. Do not let your parents communicate with the BGO about your application. You are applying to be a Naval Officer. Don't let your BGO think Mommy and Daddy are driving things or you can't make things happen for yourself. It doesn't help if they claim you were too busy to call back because of football, volunteer church work, and the big AP project coming due. You must manage your own time. When you meet the congressional staff or you get an informal meeting with your BGO, do not let your parents dominate the conversation. They may ask questions of the BGO. That is part of his job. Get the questions answered and have your parents leave the room when the conversation gets around to you and your application. This goes doubly true for the "official" interview, possibly the only meeting you have with him or her.

Good luck.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Have any advice for those of us that are going to be College Freshman?

I'll bite. Go to class.

Go to class, go to class, go to class.

I can't stress this enough. College comes with the perception that you have a lot more freedoms. While that is true, you also have a lot more responsibilities as well. The burden/onus of self-control is entirely on you. I can't tell you how many freshmen I meet every year (I'm an RA) that think that college is like high school v2.0 where they can not go to class, cram the night before the exam, and still do well. There are some things you just won't pick up any other place except in lecture. Professors know this, and they usually will include material on their exams straight from lecture. Some of them will even tell you test questions or hint towards what to study the day before the exam.

Balance. Balance you work and balance your play. It's good to kick back your heels and party/hang out/play video games once in a while - whatever you need to do to de-stress. But, at the same time, make sure you actually study and devote enough time to your classes. If you strike that perfect balance, life will be good. If you don't, it will suck - simple as that.

Any other questions, just ask.

edit: I'm hoping you were asking for general college advice, and not advice specific to say, the USNA (because I don't go there).

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Having the academic officer be your roommate is a nice hook up. I definitely want to emphasize Summer Seminar. It was a great time and gave me an idea of what to expect since I had never been there before. I was a detailer for it as well and can tell you that we do look at the candidates who come through.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have any advice for those of us that are going to be College Freshman?
Visit USNA if you can. Stop by Admissions for a brief and tour. Apply on line like everyone else. You will have a BGO assigned to you. You will compete only with other college students, not the thousands of HS seniors. Take classes equivalent to the first year at USNA. You can find example course loads on line. But for starters, heavy on math and sciences. Do not major in anything far off what USNA offers. Stay physically active. If you are at a Div1 school they don't expect you to be a starter on the football team. Seek out rigorous intramural and club sports to play. Try to work part time or volunteer regularly to simulate the time demands of the Academy. All these things will help Admissions determine if you can transition from college.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
What do the admissions people expect out of their candidates during the summer? Unfortunately, I managed to tear some of the tissue holding my shoulder in the socket and had to have it repaired. This is leaving me in a sling for the next 5-weeks and theres not much that I can do(was planning on doing Habitat for Humanity and getting a job before this happened) except sit around and work on my app.

I've played Junior Hockey for the past 2-years, since I graduated high school(Class of 2006) and stayed busy during the season, part-time job, practice, road-trips, etc. So I'm not lazy, just gimpy. I do plan on getting involved on campus in something or other: club hockey, habitat for humanity, maybe rugby, student government. Once I get to school I plan on keeping myself busy.

Also, if we're reapplying is there anything that I should do differently? I was awesome enough to get wait-listed last year, but not awesome enough to get in.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like you're in good shape. I wouldn't worry about being injured during the summer since you have proven that you do stuff but physically can't for the time being. The only thing I'd be worried about is if that injury holds you back some way from getting in, which it shouldn't. Just keep applying, it shows that you are determined and that you really do want to get in, which is good.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do the admissions people expect out of their candidates during the summer? Unfortunately, I managed to tear some of the tissue holding my shoulder in the socket and had to have it repaired. This is leaving me in a sling for the next 5-weeks and theres not much that I can do(was planning on doing Habitat for Humanity and getting a job before this happened) except sit around and work on my app.

I've played Junior Hockey for the past 2-years, since I graduated high school(Class of 2006) and stayed busy during the season, part-time job, practice, road-trips, etc. So I'm not lazy, just gimpy. I do plan on getting involved on campus in something or other: club hockey, habitat for humanity, maybe rugby, student government. Once I get to school I plan on keeping myself busy.

Also, if we're reapplying is there anything that I should do differently? I was awesome enough to get wait-listed last year, but not awesome enough to get in.
If you got injured they will know from the DODMERB physical and the predictable follow up by an orthopod. They don't expect you to be throwing boxes at Fedex or playing hockey with an injury. I wouldn't worry about it. The different part of your app will be improved test scores and "As" on a college transcript. ;)

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
The only thing I'd be worried about is if that injury holds you back some way from getting in, which it shouldn't.

When I applied I had EH PRTs, but had some an injury that would require surgery preventing me from completing the CFA. When I asked the LT in charge of my app if he would accept the most recent PRT in lieu of the CFA, he made a big fuss about everything, and an even bigger fuss about me being injured to the point where I couldn't complete the run portion of the CFA. Be wary that your injury might prevent a problem, but if you have an outgoing/reasonable person in charge of your application, you might have a different scenario.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I applied I had EH PRTs, but had some an injury that would require surgery preventing me from completing the CFA. When I asked the LT in charge of my app if he would accept the most recent PRT in lieu of the CFA, he made a big fuss about everything, and an even bigger fuss about me being injured to the point where I couldn't complete the run portion of the CFA. Be wary that your injury might prevent a problem, but if you have an outgoing/reasonable person in charge of your application, you might have a different scenario.

Well the CFA is a requirement, and an important competitive element of your application at that. It is bad luck for certain. Do you think you could say; "I couldn't take the SAT because I was heavily medicated after surgery so I don't have a SAT score to report" and still compete for an appointment?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Well the CFA is a requirement, and an important competitive element of your application at that. It is bad luck for certain. Do you think you could say; "I couldn't take the SAT because I was heavily medicated after surgery so I don't have a SAT score to report" and still compete for an appointment?

I see your point, definitely, but I felt the situation was one of those where the rules got in the way of common sense. I had played Junior hockey as well and was at that time playing with the college team. Two months prior I took a PRT and scored well with an average run. If the CFA is to show physical fitness, it's been documented clearly on the application. Why screw someone because they had a sports-related injury that's not permanent? I dunno, the guy's demeanor was less than professional, maybe that played into my perspective of the situation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see your point, definitely, but I felt the situation was one of those where the rules got in the way of common sense. I had played Junior hockey as well and was at that time playing with the college team. Two months prior I took a PRT and scored well with an average run. If the CFA is to show physical fitness, it's been documented clearly on the application. Why screw someone because they had a sports-related injury that's not permanent? I dunno, the guy's demeanor was less than professional, maybe that played into my perspective of the situation.
I understand your perspective. You got hosed by circumstances. But the CFA is an important competitive element of the app. The PRT is different then the CFA and so can not result in comparable scores. There would be no way for the board to fairly compare your app to another. They rejected your argument in order to retain the integrity of a process that ensures fairness to the greatest number of candidates. Sorry.

Rg9

pilot
I'll bite. Go to class.

Go to class, go to class, go to class.

I can't stress this enough. College comes with the perception that you have a lot more freedoms. While that is true, you also have a lot more responsibilities as well. The burden/onus of self-control is entirely on you. I can't tell you how many freshmen I meet every year (I'm an RA) that think that college is like high school v2.0 where they can not go to class...
Huh? I disagree. I say: manage your time and work for GRADES. Unfortunately, college is primarily about grades. It makes sense in a way: the Prof "rewards" you for doing what he thinks is valuable. Obviously, don't compromise your values and just say what he wants, but fight for grades. Sometimes that means NOT going to class to either study for another one or simply because you can study better on your own. Don't skip a lot of class like in high school?? (don't know which one you went to), but make a common sense decision about what works.

I know this isn't PC advice, but it was how I did well in college.

On top of that, like was said, have a balance in your life. Your time in college isn't all about grades. Get involved in a club, sports, a religious group (lots of good collegiate Christian organizations), study abroad or travel, etc. Don't waste your time drinking, but do invest your time in meaningful experiences. Life is too short to waste 4+ years just in books.

Now if you go to the Academy, it's a different story...:eek:

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Sometimes that means NOT going to class to either study for another one or simply because you can study better on your own. Don't skip a lot of class like in high school?? (don't know which one you went to), but make a common sense decision about what works.

Whoah whoah - I would absolutely never, ever, ever advise any incoming freshman to college against skipping classes. Let people figure that out on their own. There are a *LOT* of professors that will put things on their exams that were *only* mentioned in lecture and cannot be found by studying notes/reading the book. I have seen plenty of friends/residents end up on academic probation because they thought they could get away with skipping class and cramming before the exam. I'm not saying people were fine to skip class in HS either, but it sure was a lot easier in high school to pay very little attention in class, study the book the night before, and still ace the exam. Not so, in college.

As for me..I actually went to a DoDDs high school and I skipped school one time. The day Star Wars Episode III came out. It was two weeks before graduation and I just straight up told my teachers I was skipping school to go see Star Wars. :D