• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Howdy! If I could please get some opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Heya,

I am at Embry Riddle Aero Univ (Daytona) right now majoring in Aero Sci. However I am switching to Aircraft Mechanic and will just get my ratings at a local airport. Right now I am set for the Marine Corps. I am in delayed entry and will go to boot camp next april. My job is an F18 mechanic. After I finish BC, Fleet, and Mechanic School I will come and finish my degree.

Everyone at my school is ROTC but I seriously want to enlist. I would just like some opinions from people like how much money can my current plans get me for school? What are my chances for a pilot slot with a mechanic degree from ERAU and be f18 mechanic certified with ground wings? Or any other critizism like another speech on why to do rotc
crazy_125.gif

Thanks in advance, I heard this is an awsome forum and look forward to some great and helpful reading :D

Embry Riddle student, Daytona campus - delayed entry for Marine Corps enlistment (f18 mechanic in reserves until college ends) - after officership hopefully a flight block

jaerose

Well, if you need money for school then that's one way to go because you can get the Montgomery GI Bill, but you could also just get the NROTC scholarship to ERAU and get the same thing accomplished in a lot less time. It just depends on what YOU really want...do you want to enlist and go through all the time and effort to do that, then come and finish school, or do you want to take the more direct route to a flight spot? How long until you graduate? You could possibly get your spot reserved and college paid for...then be commissioned upon graduation (and completion of a couple other things...I'm Navy, so I don't know the exact procedure for the Corps). I would suggest checking all options and weighing the pros/cons of each before proceding. Best of luck.

JR

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
There are advantages and disadvantages to both ways. I am assuming you've already enlisted and signed the contract. Perhaps before you leave you should stop by the local Officer Selection Office and talk to the OSO there. I strongly suggest you do this ASAP. I enlisted when I was in college just like you have, and I wouldn't trade my experiences as a junior Marine and then and NCO for anything; however, at the point where you are at, the more direct route of PLC or OCC without enlisting first might be better for both you and the Corps. I don't say this to knock being a prior. I just think you should talk to your OSO and evaluate ALL your options.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Shaggy

Actually, my head recruiter took over OCS selection in the state of georgia where my residence is and my squadron.

I really wanna be a mustang and what does enlisting do for a flight spot? increase it? decrese it?

Embry Riddle student, Daytona campus - delayed entry for Marine Corps enlistment (f18 mechanic in reserves until college ends) - after officership hopefully a flight block

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Doesn't increase it or decrease it. Good luck at boot. Keep your eye on the prize, and keep it in mind that if you graduate you will have earned your spot in the finest fighting organization in the world. If you graduate, you will have earned the right to call yourself a UNITED STATES MARINE. OORAH.
SEMPER FI

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.