• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to I handle situation that causes me to miss a drill period?

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
The short answer is that it's not that big a deal. (The slightly longer answer is that you can't make a habit of it...). Ideally, you'll know in advance of any conflicts with a drill weekend, and you'll submit a request to reschedule (a "resked") for that drill weekend. That means you'll be coming in on an off-weekend, or perhaps during the week, to make up the time. Since the full schedule of drill weekends is known at the beginning of the FY, you should make every effort to reschedule your personal activities around them.

Unit leadership can get annoyed when they get a phone call or email Friday evening saying "I can't make it in this weekend." That happens, of course, especially if you're sick or have some kind of family emergency, but don't make it a regular occurrence. This is one of the filters that should be considered up front when thinking about pursuing a commission - the Navy likes you to be around for drill weekends. If your job sends you on the road for 2-3 months at a time, this is a big negative; it will make it hard to get through your training syllabus, and will cause harummphing in your chain of command - which will inevitably look something like this:

Thanks FS. That's what I was thinking. I totally understand unit leadership wanting their people around, but I just wanted to make sure that the occasional busy weekend (for some reason) is legitimate. I bring up the gone for 2-3 months example I could imagine going overseas for my job for 2-3 months next year (granted, I'm not even commissioned yet...hopefully that's coming along). As you said, if it's scheduled in advance, I guess we'll have to work with it. Thanks for the info.