• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to get approval for Jeppesen Pubs in order to do an airshow?

If anyone can point me to a POC to get approval for Jeppesen Pubs in order to do an airshow, I’ll buy you a beer. Also, anyone going to the central coast airshow in Santa Maria next weekend?

-Asking for a DH

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The field is not in the DOD approach plates.
I've used Jepp plates for diverts off the ship. It's pretty standard, when there isn't anything else. Not sure whether 3710 says anything about using non-DOD plates, but I presume some good old fashioned ORM and headwork could probably get you to yes.

sickboy

pilot
Gotta go through NAVFIG for the Jeppeson stuff, the contact information is in the GP. I'd check the FAA plates, I believe they're legal.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FAA plates are perfectly legal. They've been TERP'ed by the same people that do the domestic DoD plates and the only reason all of them aren't in the DoD plates is because someone either a) hasn't asked for them to be included and/or b) someone at DoD thought no one used a particular airport (see: Monroeville, AL circa 2007...where lots of DoD Orange and White would go everyday).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Again: Foreflight uses both .gov and FAA plates and charts (and updates them automatically, so you know you have the latest pubs). Both types of chart are legal for CONUS military use, and you don't need to go through military chart distribution channels, which can take months, assuming you can even get in touch with someone.

Believe me, I've been down this road before (before iPads were in the cockpit), and it led NOWHERE. The AT&T message is spot on when it comes to trying to contact the approach plate/chart distro folks. Our squadron still gets Africa charts from deployment 2+ years ago, and evidently nobody in the entire DOD has the authority to stop distro of unneeded pubs. It's a huge waste of paper and shipping resources every 4-8 weeks.

I'd suggest to your DH that someone might have Foreflight and be willing to lend a device for the weekend, or be part of the airshow crew. Squadrons can get also WingX Pro subscriptions for free, our squadron uses it on several unit-owned iPads. It's a little less intuitive than Foreflight, but no less capable. We used to use Foreflight, until they stopped providing it free of charge to military. I maintain a personal FF subscription, because it is worth it.

Last edited:
So the airfield is in compliance with 3710 as Validated as safe and accurate by a US Agency in accordance with US Terps, it’s not a Jeppesen approach it’s just a non-dod approach. I get the use of foreflight but I don’t think the cdre would be down for the use of foreflight. At the same time, could I just print it off skyvector and call it good?

Again: Foreflight uses both .gov and FAA plates and charts (and updates them automatically, so you know you have the latest pubs). Both types of chart are legal for CONUS military use, and you don't need to go through military chart distribution channels, which can take months, assuming you can even get in touch with someone.

Believe me, I've been down this road before (before iPads were in the cockpit), and it led NOWHERE. The AT&T message is spot on when it comes to trying to contact the approach plate/chart distro folks. Our squadron still gets Africa charts from deployment 2+ years ago, and evidently nobody in the entire DOD has the authority to stop distro of unneeded pubs. It's a huge waste of paper and shipping resources every 4-8 weeks.

I'd suggest to your DH that someone might have Foreflight and be willing to lend a device for the weekend, or be part of the airshow crew. Squadrons can get also WingX Pro subscriptions for free, our squadron uses it on several unit-owned iPads. It's a little less intuitive than Foreflight, but no less capable. We used to use Foreflight, until they stopped providing it free of charge to military. I maintain a personal FF subscription, because it is worth it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Short answer is yes, printing out an approach plate from Skyvector or from Airnav is legal. In the interests of eliminating doubt from the old man's mind, if you're going to print PDFs then use the .gov source (which is where they come from anyway):

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/ (there's a search link and a few other ways to look stuff up)

Of course, familiarize yourself with that section of the 3710. Double check the expiration dates and the date of your airshow- I think the next cycle is the Thursday in less than two weeks.

Thanks for the info! I’ll show them the 3710 portion about the use of FAA approved approaches and only the commodore can approve an RON at civilian airfields per 3710 so I should be good.

Short answer is yes, printing out an approach plate from Skyvector or from Airnav is legal. In the interests of eliminating doubt from the old man's mind, if you're going to print PDFs then use the .gov source (which is where they come from anyway):

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/ (there's a search link and a few other ways to look stuff up)

Of course, familiarize yourself with that section of the 3710. Double check the expiration dates and the date of your airshow- I think the next cycle is the Thursday in less than two weeks.

Only thing left is to ensure the plane isn’t too heavy for the runway.

Thanks for the info! I’ll show them the 3710 portion about the use of FAA approved approaches and only the commodore can approve an RON at civilian airfields per 3710 so I should be good.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If the airshow is CHINFO approved, you should be good to go. Assuming, of course, your aircraft can land there.

What type of aircraft is it? Just curious. Based on the level of administrivia and your concerns about aircraft weight, I have this vision of you being in a P-3 or P-8 squadron, but I could be way off-base.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think the next cycle is the Thursday in less than two weeks.

I'm staring at the whiteboard in our pilot office right now. 11 OCT 18. Which means it will take approximately 9 hours to download in FF via the crappy WIFI.