• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How soon should I apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarco

Hello folks: I have a quick question. I will be graduating college by the end of July 2004. How soon should I apply? I have seen numerous posts for people that have entry date of September of the same year. How long is the process. Since I am 30, I would like to see what my chances are of landing an aviation post ( I have prior service). Should I start with the application process? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I would say for sure start it now. It takes a while to get everything together and if you start early you wont have to feel like you're in a rush to get all the stuff you need done, and if you get accepted before you graduate, they will give you a OCS date that's after you're done with school. So you don't really have anything to loose applying earlier. :)

Zarco

Thank you littledancerus, another quick question if I may, how long was the process for you?

Mmm it's taken me about 2 months I think. But I've been kinda rushing too so that I can get everything in on time. Also which service are you going to? Navy takes longer than Marines does because they have to do the whole pro-rec thing

Zarco

I see. I have not started yet. I figured that I should concentrate on the test first, and getting back into good shape. Thanks for the input

angelj

I'm going Navy, and it hasn't taken to long. I studied for a month and took the test on January 5 and got a 7,7,7, Oar 64 (I'm a B.A. Major by the way). It took me a month to get my letters of recommendation done (that's a good thing to work on now), so my paper work for Prof. Rec. was turned in on Feb 25. I heard that I was Prof. Rec. on March 8, and I turned in my final documents a week later. My recruiter says it should take another month to hear back, and hopefully get an OCS date. And from what I'm seeing on the forum, most people who are getting picked up right now have OCS dates in July- Aug area. Hope that helps!!! Man, the girls on this forum rock.

Zarco

angelj, who wrote your letters? Do you have to have a recommendation from an officer, or did you submitted work references?

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
Recommendations... I can only speak of being a civillian but, I had two previous bosses and my current advisor (from school) write me rec's... I'm almost the exact same timeline as littledancerus (waiting final select Pilot)... If you have previous service though it might also be good to get some there too...

angelj

I had all my work references, a Marine General, a retired AF Colonel, a Lt. Commander who is an F-18 pilot, and Aerobatics champion Patty Wagstaff. I think I ended up with six all together (the work references are required). I was lucky, all the people I asked had the ability to write well, and made me sound amazing.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Zarco....I think at 30 you'd need an age waiver for OCS, and I remember a while ago there was a bit of a discussion about them not handing those out anymore. I'd definately look into that and find out more. Best of luck!

Zarco

Thank you guys. Wildflyin69, I believe it is still honored (they better, or else I'm toast). I have prior service, so I still qualify. I have not heard of any modifications regarding the waivers, but if someone else has heard of it, it would be nice to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.