• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much time did you study for the ASTB?

gordian

Thinkin' about it. . .
Thanks guys, you've saved me a lot of grief. I'm set to take it tomorrow so I'll report back with my scores soon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I disagree with those who say not to study..quite a bit..... those are just my two cents.
Well that's O.K. ... like 'they say': opinions are like assholes, right ???

And I'm not tryin' to put your 'opinion' down ... but when you've got your Navy Commission, graduated 1st in your NAVAIR class, flown for 20 years for UNCLE, flown 25 years workin' for da' MAN, accumulated 25K flight hours ... come back and tell me how it all worked out for you. We'll sit down, have a beer, and compare notes ...
:)

Just my $20 worth ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How did I unequivocally and absolutely know you would say that :icon_tong
Mebbe like someone once said: "THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME ... "??? :)

But not to worry ... when we sit down for that beer in a far, far better place ... I'll let you buy. :)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I disagree with those who say not to study..quite a bit. Why wouldn't you study?

I agree with this. I took the ASTB the first time without studying, and bombed it. I studied hard before taking it the second time, and did ok. If I didn't study hard before taking it the second time, I probably wouldn't have these shiny wings under my name. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I'm gonna go ahead and split the difference between opinions.

The test is all about time management, just like any test (ASTB, SAT, etc.). So, with that being said, the math and reading comprehension parts shouldn't be something you really have to study for. I hadn't done basic math/algebra/geometry in for-fvcking-ever, and they made me take a practice ASTB the other day (hooray being a guinea pig for NASC) without telling me. I sure as hell didn't rock it, but I scored a standard deviation above. If math or reading comp aren't your strong suit, though, it wouldn't kill you to *brush up*.

As for the general aviation knowledge, I wish I'd known more about it. I did pretty well, but my weakest points were the specific FARs and ADF/VOR questions (completely foreign to me). Same thing can be said for the spatial orientation portions. I would highly recommend looking at it before hand just to get familiar with what's expected of you. It'd be a shame to waste 5 minutes trying to figure out a system for deciphering what the hell is going on.

TL;DR - It is an aptitude test, meaning you don't necessarily have to study for it. However, I don't know how anyone would come of the street knowing what ADF/VORs or specific FARs are without some prior study time. Bottom line - go over things, but don't nuke it. A few hours in a book or online will help, but it won't necessarily guarantee you to pass.

gordian

Thinkin' about it. . .
Passed with a 6/6/6. This was after minimal notice (<3 days) and even less studying (<2 hours). I basically did practice problems and just hoped what I knew was enough.

Incidentally, I was a history major and never studied any nautical or aviation subjects in an academic setting although I have a firm handle on math and physics. Thanks for the replies!

Adeniyi

hey buddy,cud you pls send me the exact book or books you used to prepare for your ASTB,because i have about six different books on ASTB here and i dont know which one really have to use for study

Adeniyi

A very merry christmas to all you sky-loving, height-loving, gravity-defying dare devils out there and up there...keep flying and keep keeping our skies safe......also keep updating new gists and all info.