• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much emphasis is placed on field of study?

RocktheBloc

In Intel, it is stated they prefer political science majors and the like. I majored in sociology. Does this fit their requirement, or is it a very strict requirement?

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Guess that would depend on your background. The Navy is not too particular about the type of degree... if you have been working in Intel related field or work for a number of years even with your sociology degree you should have a good shot.

RocktheBloc

Yeah, I haven't been working in an intel related field. In fact, I just graduated from school and much of my work experience is blue-collar type technical stuff.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Yeah, I haven't been working in an intel related field. In fact, I just graduated from school and much of my work experience is blue-collar type technical stuff.

Intel is a VERY competitive designator to get into. If I were you, I wouldn’t get my hopes up since your education and background is lacking for Intel. But, you never know… good luck!

RocktheBloc

Well, you can play career adviser. What do your recommend for a guy who has a B.A. in Sociology and nothing but blue-collar work experience?

Since I get to choose my top three picks, this is what I originally started out with:

1. Intelligence
2. Surface Warfare
3. Supply, Transportation, Logistics

Now, what would you recommend, given my education and work experience?

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
Well, I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but the standard answer in these parts is: you can't know until you apply. Put your dream choice down at the top of your sheet, and figure out whether you care more about that one choice, or about being a naval officer at all. I was accepted for BDCP Intel, and I only had one choice listed on my application (I am a PoliSci/History student).

They will take your WHOLE application into consideration, so concentrate on making every aspect of it as strong as possible (OAR/ASTB score, LORs, Interviews (which will help a lot), etc) and if you're non-select, keep trying. Some folks don't get in until their third application (I was lucky enough to get in on my first) so don't give up easily.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Well, I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but the standard answer in these parts is: you can't know until you apply. Put your dream choice down at the top of your sheet, and figure out whether you care more about that one choice, or about being a naval officer at all. I was accepted for BDCP Intel, and I only had one choice listed on my application (I am a PoliSci/History student).

They will take your WHOLE application into consideration, so concentrate on making every aspect of it as strong as possible (OAR/ASTB score, LORs, Interviews (which will help a lot), etc) and if you're non-select, keep trying. Some folks don't get in until their third application (I was lucky enough to get in on my first) so don't give up easily.

Occams is right, I’m not saying DON’T apply, just that it will be hard. But keep in mind, Occams is majoring in degree fields that are preferred (but not required) for the intelligence field. Along with political science and history, other preferred degree majors include engineering, computer science, government, international relations or other fields related to intelligence.

To make your self more competitive, try getting interviews from high ranking officers. If none are in your area, then walk, drive, or fly to one. They don’t really have to be Navy (I got an interview from an Army Brigadier General and submitted that with my OCS package), but if you are going to get interviews, most should be from Navy officers, intel officers if possible. Score high on the OAR, get LORs from former employers, ministers, professors, etc. Do that and you will make yourself competitive. So, put Intel first because you never know. But personally speaking, and given the high application request for and low accession numbers for intel recently, it’s a long shot. But nothing is impossible. You look good for SWO :D.

m26

Contributor
To make your self more competitive, try getting interviews from high ranking officers.

I never understood this. How does one just go about getting interviews from 0-6's? Not cold calls, I assume.

Apologize for quasi-threadjack :eek:

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
That is exactly how you get interviews! If you want something, you have to stand up and demand it. I’m applying for Supply and I wanted a Flag officer for an interview. I’m in Cleveland and the closet flag supply type officer was in Columbus (about 120 miles away) at Defense Supply Command. A Army Brigadier General is the Commander so I called the commander’s office and talked to first the secretary and then she put on with her assistant, a Navy LCDR, and I explained what I wanted the General’s interview to include in my application. He was taken aback because he told me that no one has ever asked the General to do an interview for an officer package. It took me a month to finally get to sit down with her because she was sooo busy, but I kept calling the LCDR about once or twice a week until I got a date to sit with the General. It paid off too, she gave me all 10s with an outstanding write-up.

So, yeah… you can just call. Let them know how bad you want it and that alone will impress them. I know it did for the General… she mentioned in her write-up how impressed she was with me seeking out the highest ranking supply officer in the area and how that reflected on my determination to become an officer. Don’t be afraid, many officers don’t always get the chance to do interviews and would probably like the chance to help you become an officer. Remember, they were once in your shoes, so they know what its like!!

m26

Contributor
That wouldn't have even occurred to me, lol. Thank God for AirWarriors :D

I will have to get on that, then. Thanks for the advice. I assume there's paperwork? Would the OR have that?

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
That wouldn't have even occurred to me, lol. Thank God for AirWarriors :D

I will have to get on that, then. Thanks for the advice. I assume there's paperwork? Would the OR have that?

Your recruiter really doesn’t need to do anything. I set everything up for myself. Just make sure you send them the current interview appraisal form (see attached). Also, send them your resume so they know a little something about you. That’s all the paper work you really need… then just show up and blow their socks off ;).

Attachments

• 1131.5.pdf
    651.9 KB · Views: 63