• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many people per class fail to graduate OCS?

Birdman180

Birdman180
Hey everyone,

I just got a Pro-Rec and hopefully I will be headed to OCS soon. I am curious to know how many people per class actually fail OCS and do not graduate and get commissioned? Is there any statistics on this? By no means do I plan on failing but I just want to know if people do fail out for poor perfromance.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Not being crass, and not trying to overstate the obvious, but don't sweat the matter. If you overconcentrate on the failing statistics, you're missing all those who succeed (and you'll see some that succeeded but shouldn't have). Yes, people wash out of OCS just as they do in all commissioning programs. Don't be that guy - it's really that simple.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats.
We started with 54 and ended up with 37. People get hurt, get held back; fail academics, "roll" back to the next class. People quit or DOR. Usually right before PT in the am. Usually the people you're with in week 7 are the ones that will be with you at graduation day. Several people will quit within the first 36 hours. It used to be those folks just got held pending release from the Navy. They wore civvies and everything. Nowadays, It looks like the DOR folks have to wear khaki pants and white collared shirts and have to do odd jobs around the base. The easiest way out is to get through the program.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
It's not like they try to fail a certain percentage of candidates.

People fail out for not wanting to be there. Play the game, and you will graduate, even if you get held back for something (going med down, academics, etc...)

supplywife

Adyson Elizabeth born 2/25/2007
My husband just graduated OCS and he started with 47 in his class and 45 graduated. Approximately 4 (2 rolled to H for injury and 2 DOR's) rolled out and a few more rolled in. All in all they didn't drop any candidates after the first Tuesday.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I don't know about Navy OCS, but the following rang true for Marine OCS. It's not about failure, you will fail at OCS at some point. Just don't quit. Follow that, you'll be fine.

Birdman180

Birdman180
Thanks for your replies. I didn't expect it to be like college where there is a bell curve and teachers have to give out so many C's D's and F's. It good to hear that most graduate. I assume that if your heart is in it, you won't have a problem.

Also, I am knew to the military lingo so forgive me for asking, but what does DOR mean?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just to reiterate, it's pretty hard to attrite from OCS. You have to be a real sh!tbag. There's a girl here at CECOS who took a year...let me repeat that, AN F'ING YEAR to finish OCS. If you want to finish, you will, whether it's in 12weeks or not, may be the question, but hey, a commission is a commission.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Just to reiterate, it's pretty hard to attrite from OCS. You have to be a real sh!tbag. There's a girl here at CECOS who took a year...let me repeat that, AN F'ING YEAR to finish OCS. If you want to finish, you will, whether it's in 12weeks or not, may be the question, but hey, a commission is a commission.

To satisfy my curiosity, what would a candidate have to fail so many times to keep rolling back?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
supplywife said:
My husband just graduated OCS and he started with 47 in his class and 45 graduated. Approximately 4 (2 rolled to H for injury and 2 DOR's) rolled out and a few more rolled in. All in all they didn't drop any candidates after the first Tuesday.
Thisguy said:

Ah, the new kinder and gentler OCS.:icon_rage

My AOCS class started with 32, graduated 20. 2 rolled in, 2 rolled out to a later class. Of the 12 that left, 10 DOR'ed in the first week before we even met our DI and the other 2 within two weeks.

Anyway, if you want it bad enough, you will make it. I think they are just lowering the level of how bad you need to want it.:(

NavyLonghorn

We had a good 20 roll in/out. Only one who got kicked out was NPQ. They are gonna make you an officer unless you quit. Rolling isnt that big of a deal. I dont reccomend it though. When I was their 4 - 5 people rolled on average for RLP, but, most rolling was medical related.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
To satisfy my curiosity, what would a candidate have to fail so many times to keep rolling back?

Failing an evolution twice will cause you to roll. I.e. an academic exam or inspection. However, you get people who roll durig the in-PRT and can't class up until they pass an in-PRT with an incoming class. Or, if you're out of shape and get shin splints the 2nd week, you're rolled indefinitely until you get better. Swimming is another thing that'll get you a one-way ticket to H-company (I'm old school, it was known as GTX way back in 2002). If you can't swim, you'll be held up until you can.

Fun fact, this girl that took a year to finish OCS dropped out of a formation run here at CECOS (which had an ass-slow pace) somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 mile. I kid you not. Is my disdain and hate coming through?

bennett4362

deployment sucks
My AOCS class started with 32, graduated 20. 2 rolled in, 2 rolled out to a later class. Of the 12 that left, 10 DOR'ed in the first week before we even met our DI and the other 2 within two weeks.

maybe they're just doing a better job of only accepting good candidates to begin with ;)

(just giving you and your "when i went to aocs..." bubbas a hard time :p)

NavyLonghorn

ThisGuy.. If we are thinkin about the same girl, came in barely able to do 3 pushups.... and she was BDCP! Good job recruiter.