• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

how many make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from a friend that almost half the people who try to go through OCS don't make it. I was wondering if this is true and if not, what the real percentage is. I also would like to know why these people usually don't make it and what I can do to prepare myself so that I will. Thanks!
love_125.gif

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
untrue

10-15% probably dont make it for various reasons. THe first being NPQ's on day 1 at the NAMI physical. This is mostly aviators but others occasionally get NPQ'd for various reasons. Other reasons people dont make it: 1)They get hurt (leg injuries from all running) 2)They really dont wont to be there and quit. 3) Swimming (very rare) ocs has a program for people that cant pass the swim test. Other than medical reasons, I would say motivation is the killer for everyone else that quits. Some people cant put up with Marine DI's yelling at them 24 /7 for 3 months.

Dave

jmac12

Hey Pat,
are you still at OCS? Weren't you supposed to graduate about 2 months ago? I guess you can get held back for lying about your PRT times too, huh? Well, have fun in GTX. I guess you have more time to check up on this web site. In response to the original question, EOD is right. The people that show up in good shape usually do fine unless something happens that first day at medical. If you are good at PT, your DI's aren't riding you as much and you can focus on all the other anoying **** that you have to get done to get out of there, like folding underwear and t-shirts into perfect squares. Have fun.
John

grouch

jmac12, you sir are a punk. Pat for whatever reason, and I know what it is, did get rolled. However a lesser person would have quit long ago in similar conditions. His PT buddy got rolled as well for standing up for Pat, but then again you know the whole story don't you. If you graduated then one day you will serve with Pat. The Navy is too small for petty little crap like poking at someone's misfortunes. Ass.

BYSun

Grouch,

I haven't seen you for a while. How have you been?

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Oooooh. I agree with Grouch. Ease up killa?

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

slabman

SNA Primary (Whiting)
Hey EODDave,
You said "THe first being NPQ's on day 1 at the NAMI physical. This is mostly aviators but others occasionally get NPQ'd for various reasons." Is this where aviators get the NAMI whammy or does that occur after OCS before API.

Thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jmac12, do you enjoy kicking people when they are down? I obviously am not privy to all the information of what happened, but I do know two things, (1) Patmack18 was retained in the Naval service by his surperiors and (2) He is traveling a much harder route with his chin up than either you or I have had to go. If he was not fit for Naval service and to share the wardroom with you and I, he would no longer have the right or priviledge to seek his commission.

On a side note, as a collateral duty, I have been a command Legal Officer for 18 months. I have seen more than my share of CO's Masts, XOIs, ADSEPs and Court Martials. I have airmen that used to be (PO3s or PO2s) that have faced their punishment and are out there working hard on the planes I fly. I, and the rest of my wardroom pay these sailors the same respect as they go about their duties. While Patmack did not go through the same thing, he is "paying his price" now by still being in OCS and working his way towards his commission. Could you you go through the same? I don't know if I could.

Throughout my career, when I have been at my worst or at my best, when I have needed help, shipmates have been there to lend me a helping hand. Some close friends, others acquantinces, and on a few occassions people I have never met before but are wearing the uniform of the United States Navy. I ask you, which type of Naval Officer are you going to be? Are you going to tear down and back stab against your shipmates in the wardroom and on the hangar deck, or help that fellow shipmate out when they are at their worst and need help the most? I am not being sanctimonuous, I have had my fair share of misadventures, but there has ALWAYS been someone there to help me along when I needed it most. One of the main reasons I have enjoyed my time in the Navy over the past 12 years is that commraderie and support.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pat, no problem, that is what shipmates are for. I hope training is going well. And I will take you up on that beer someday.

John

tylerfj24

hey what do people get held for in their physical. Is it major health problems or just pity ****. Do you have to be perfect or somthin?

Hartman

Aside from NPQ's, those who come to OCS with Honor, Courage, and Commitment will make it through OCS. That's the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.