• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do I start the application process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeone1

Brand new to this site...24 years old. Have a 4 year degree from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University w/3.6 GPA. Will anyone take the time to explain how to apply to USN/USMC OCS for flight training.

mimisoko9

First thing is to call an officer recruiter. You can find your nearest one by looking online. From there, the recruiter will tell you what you need to do. He/she will first take some basic information about you, ask you what you think you want to do, and then give you a date to take the ASTB. That's how it worked for me.

Good luck.

dufault.2

dudeone1
Keep in mind the application process can take a pretty long time, even if you hare trying to push it as fast as you can. From beginning to end, my application was in the works for about six months. I was accepted in June 02 and I don't join my OCS class until August 03. As you can see, the process can be long and arduous, so be sure to plan for that. You will have to take (and score well on) the aformentioned apptitude test called the ASTB, get a physical from a processing station, secure letters of recomendation, and get in shape for the physical readiness test. As I understand it, the competition is pretty stiff for SNA/SNFO slots. If you want some great advice on any aspect of the process when you get to it, be sure to search this site over. My soon to be ocs class has a forum on this site (Aug 02, 2003). If you head over there and ask around, I have no doubt you will get more advice/suggestions in preparing your packet than you could ever want/utilize. I'm sure any of the soon to be OCS class forums could provide valuable info. Best of luck to you.

GO BUCKS!!

Meridiani

dudeone1, I just compiled a summary of the application process for Navy OCS on my website. http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~varnes/pages/page2.html

ltrain

Nice site, Meridiani

Couple of Q's:

4. Pass the Physical Readiness Test (PRT) with at least an overall score of Good Low. The test consists of a 1.5 mile run, situps, and pushups.
--Does your recruiter really take you to a pool and test your swim times? Does your PRT score affect your acceptance? Like, does a higher score help your chances or does it not matter, so long as you pass?

5. Complete the Electronic Personnel Security Questionnaire (EPSQ). This is used for your background investigation. All officers require a security clearance.
--What is this electronic thing? Is this just entering all your residences, jobs, etc into some computer program or is this some exam or some sort?

Dave Shutter

The PRT swim you won't see until much later in training and even then maybe not. In OCS and API you will be running. Yes, PRT scores are looked at and weighed heavily, especially when it's competetive. PT is a big part of OCS!!! The EPSQ isn't a test or an automatic thing but provides the info for your background check to be done. As a pilot they'll take their time finishing it. It will be a while before you get taught anything classified vs. your OCS classmates who might be off to Nuke or Intel right away.

Check the older posts here. The app. process has been discussed to death.

Meridiani

ltrain, I revised my website so that those points are a bit clearer. As for the PRT affecting acceptance, there's been some confusion over that issue. In the past PRT scores were weighed heavily in the selection process. However, it is no longer necessary to take the PRT before submitting the forward documents to NRC. As far as I can tell, an application may be professionally recommended by the selection board without the PRT results. This seems very strange to a lot of folks. In fact, I think some recruiters are submitting the PRT results along with the forward documents anyway--mine did. Ask your recruiter if he'll be sending your PRT scores with your forward docs. If so, be aware that those results will be scrutinized by the selection boards.

dudeone1

Hey, Thanks for all the information. I believe it will serve me well, though I still have a good amount of questions about everything.

Now that I know the required steps to apply for OCS, where does being accepted into flight training (SNA) fit into the process?

Just how heavily does the selection board weigh the results of the ASTB? What is the lowest score anyone has made it to OCS/Flight training with?

Meridiani

Whoops, inadvertant double post! Bad Stacy! Bad!
banghead_125.gif

Meridiani

When you apply to OCS, you apply to specific programs. So, in your application, you'll list your first choice as SNA. Your application will go to the selection boards for each of your (at most) three choices concurrently. If your first choice recommends you, then you should be good to go unless you have a medical issue. So, it goes something like this: apply for SNA, get professionally recommended by the SNA board, get medically cleared by MEPS, have all remaining docs submitted by your recruiter, receive selection notification for a specific OCS date, show up for OCS, get flight physical. So long as you pass your flight physical and graduate from OCS, you'll start flight training.

As for the ASTB, don't sweat it. Your recruiter will let you know whether your scores are competitive or not. The test is not terribly difficult, and if you study the Marine Corps ASTB guide, you should have no problem getting a decent score.

Hope this helps.

dudeone1

Speaking of "medical" issues, I think I may have one. I tore the ACL in my left knee six years ago (damn astro-turf!) It was surgically repaired shortly after I injured it and now it's like it never happened. Range of motion, mobility and strength are all there. Does the USN give medical waivers for pilot training (pilot or NFO) like the USAF does? Can I even say USAF on this site?

To shift gears, how beneficial is flight time in regards to being accepted for SNA? I have four digits worth in total and ME jet time. Sort of a "right place, right time" thing.

Someone please tell me if I ask too many questions!

NSB
dudeone1

"Big hitter, the Lama............Long!"

Status
Not open for further replies.