• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do I rate?

inwait

I am trying to enter this Feb 2012 boards and was wondering if I could get some insight on how I might do. I know the board looks at the whole package.

Supply/SWO/NFO/Pilot
ASTB: 49 4/4/5
School: Bachelors GPA 2.7 Business Law
Masters (in process) GPA 2.85 Busniess Administration
LOR's: 4 of my managers, retired santa monica PD SGT
No criminal acts
No prior drug use
Have few accounts in collections, will pay off with taxes in Feb.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to expect.
Thanks

BackOrdered

Contributor
You will never know unless you apply.

But I don't see you boding well in Supply if you have accounts in collections and below a 3.0 in two different Business degrees.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I don't see you boding well in Supply if you have accounts in collections and below a 3.0 in two different Business degrees.
Agree with tiz, but nothing to lose by trying. In my Univ., graduate level grades < 3.0 were considered failing.
BzB

I agree with the above statements. Is re-taking your ASTB an option? A lot of people on this site talk about people with <3.0 GPAs getting picked up for having killer ASTB scores. If you could bump your scores up, it might help even out the playing field some. But as stated above, you'll never know until you try! Look around in some of the recent threads in the OCS section. A lot of us have been posting our stats and whether or not we got picked up and which communities we got picked up for. This thread in particular has the outcome of the most recent board:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/applying-to-jan-board-2013.39817/

exNavyOffRec

Well, to be honest you don't even qualify to apply for SNA or SNFO with those scores, I have not seen anyone picked up for SWO or Supply with a GPA that low.

The boards for SWO and Supply do look at the whole person, but GPA is still a BIG part of it, apply but apply knowing that your chances are slim.

inwait

I agree with the above statements. Is re-taking your ASTB an option? A lot of people on this site talk about people with <3.0 GPAs getting picked up for having killer ASTB scores. If you could bump your scores up, it might help even out the playing field some. But as stated above, you'll never know until you try! Look around in some of the recent threads in the OCS section. A lot of us have been posting our stats and whether or not we got picked up and which communities we got picked up for. This thread in particular has the outcome of the most recent board:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/applying-to-jan-board-2013.39817/

It is an option if I want to wait for the next boards, which I don't want to do. My family is in a situation that I have to join the military for us to survive. I have the bachelors degree to try to Officer, but I know my chances are slim. Just kinda shooting in the dark. Does anyone know how many positions are open for Supply/SWO for FY 13 or are they both closed?

inwait

Well, to be honest you don't even qualify to apply for SNA or SNFO with those scores, I have not seen anyone picked up for SWO or Supply with a GPA that low.

The boards for SWO and Supply do look at the whole person, but GPA is still a BIG part of it, apply but apply knowing that your chances are slim.

NavyOffRec, you seem to know what you are talking about and when I ask my OR questions he doesn't respond. What do you think is my best course of action? I want to get into the February boards, but can't retake my ASTB/OAR until early January. I have been pushing to get my application completed, because at this point I want to go and my family needs me to go, but I don't know what to do.

The other option I have been looking at is enlisting, getting the E3 ranking then trying again in a couple years. I might have to get a waiver as I am 27 now. How long do I have to be enlisted before I can submit an application for OCS and will prior service help me more than non-prior?

BackOrdered

Contributor
What do you think is my best course of action? I want to get into the February boards, but can't retake my ASTB/OAR until early January. I have been pushing to get my application completed, because at this point I want to go and my family needs me to go, but I don't know what to do.

To be frank, if you just want to serve to support your family, than you should enlist. Becoming an Naval Officer is a competitive process that may take years to complete and your package must reflect Officer Like Qualities. Performing poorly in two different degree programs and having bills in collection shows a pattern of irresponsibility. Even if you were commissioned, your chances of security clearance may be in jeopardy.

However, far be it for me to tell anyone they can't commission. If you are serious about it, start making A's in your current masters program, pull up your ASTB, settle your affairs with these debtors and try again later.

Just to put things in perspective, it took me over a year for my package to finally see a board, and almost 2 to finally get picked up. tiz is right; it's a long and competitive process. Enlisting may be the better option for you if you're unable to wait. If you're really shooting for a commission though, definitely re-take your ASTB first thing in January to see if you can make it in time for Feb boards, and best of luck!

exNavyOffRec

Your situation sucks, and you should have been told your ASTB didn't qualify you for aviation by your recruiter, as well as your age disqualifies you.

Something else that is going to factor is for SWO and Supply the next boards will likely be picking people for FY14 that means the earliest you would go is July 2013, if you do get a FY13 slot it would probably be summer with all those in front of you.

To be honest your chances are slim, Supply is very picky and has lots of applicants to pick from.

inwait

Your situation sucks, and you should have been told your ASTB didn't qualify you for aviation by your recruiter, as well as your age disqualifies you.

Something else that is going to factor is for SWO and Supply the next boards will likely be picking people for FY14 that means the earliest you would go is July 2013, if you do get a FY13 slot it would probably be summer with all those in front of you.

To be honest your chances are slim, Supply is very picky and has lots of applicants to pick from.

Since I am looking into Officer and Enlisting, does anyone know if I can start an enlistment application, to get the ball rolling, that way if I don't get officer I'm already into my enlistment process so I don't have to wait so long.

exNavyOffRec

Since I am looking into Officer and Enlisting, does anyone know if I can start an enlistment application, to get the ball rolling, that way if I don't get officer I'm already into my enlistment process so I don't have to wait so long.

We used to be able to do that, but about 2 years ago NRC said no more, technically it can still be done if the NRD wants to take that chance, and I did, but I was smart about it. If you enlist the NRD is then under no obligation to submit any officer application for you, and could pull an application you have in routing.

inwait

We used to be able to do that, but about 2 years ago NRC said no more, technically it can still be done if the NRD wants to take that chance, and I did, but I was smart about it. If you enlist the NRD is then under no obligation to submit any officer application for you, and could pull an application you have in routing.

I wasn't talking about completely enlisting. I'm talking about doing the process, ASVAB and application and job pre-selection, up to MEPS and waiting on that until I hear back from Feb. boards. If I don't get selecting in boards then all I have to do is MEPS then I'm enlisted and gone instead of waiting the two months or so after Feb. to go through the enlistment process.

exNavyOffRec

I wasn't talking about completely enlisting. I'm talking about doing the process, ASVAB and application and job pre-selection, up to MEPS and waiting on that until I hear back from Feb. boards. If I don't get selecting in boards then all I have to do is MEPS then I'm enlisted and gone instead of waiting the two months or so after Feb. to go through the enlistment process.

That isn't how the enlisted process works, in most cases you test the night before MEPS, then the next am get physical done, then after the physical you pick a job and swear in.

If there are no jobs available they will allow a person to physical but that is rare now, if you physical and then don't take a job then you end up irritating the NRD, in most cases the enlisted recruiter will have to have confirmation from you that you are willing to take any job they offer you.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
The other option I have been looking at is enlisting, getting the E3 ranking then trying again in a couple years. I might have to get a waiver as I am 27 now. How long do I have to be enlisted before I can submit an application for OCS and will prior service help me more than non-prior?

Not going to happen for SNA, SNFO unless you have prior service.