• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornets in Air Combat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wali

Have F/A-18's ever been involved in Air-to-Air Combat. If yes, can someone tell me what's the kill ratio of the Hornet? Who were they Fighting against? and When did it Take place?
Sincerely; Ali

Mahler

The only air to air fight I know for sure is on the first night of the gulf war. Two hornets carrying a full compliment of bombs on their way to a target engaged two Migs (can't remember what type) and shot them down. I'm sure there have been more, I just can't recall.

James

wali

Thanks; If I am correct, the Tom Kittys didn't see any combat in Gulf War, Right? I know they shot down a couple of MiG-23's in the 80's but I guess that's about it.
Ali

Mahler

Hmmm, if you're using the term Tom Kittys to refering to the F-14A model (as I've often heard) then I'm not sure. However, Tomcats did fly combat missions in the gulf. Wether or not they did any dogfighting, I don't know.

James

wali

Hey Guys, what's the deal with the F-14E Model. I saw a picture on the web and it's a three seater (tandom). Looks weird. Lots of replies said it's a bogus picture. Why don't you guys check it out and see what you think.
http://www.nme.de/CGI-SHL/NME/VIEWPIC.CFM?ID=1120
Ali

Edited by - wali on 01/21/2002 16:26:22

Kraftwerk

HAA!
Fakedy-fake-fake-fake! Actually, a very funny one at that. Imagine, 2 FO's and one chauffeur, guess who's in charge?!!
Gotta pass this pic around the squadron, thanks for bringing it up.

wali

Yeah, I could just imagine both WSO's fighting over who's right, especially if one's higher ranked than the other. Yeah, and the poor pilot, too stressed from hearing them argue, has to be treated for psychological problems.
Ali

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Naw, you just shut off the ICS. Remember, the only "Rank" in the cockpit is Pilot in Command! He has the final say on everything. Did you know that an F-15 pilot got the first 2 air to air kills in the Gulf War. Aim high! Nice shooting Air Force! Oh, I forgot, The pilot was on an exchange tour from the MARINE CORPS. SEMPER FI! WARRIORS OF THE SKY! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

wali

Hurrah, Air Power! It all boil down to that US has, by far, the best trained pilots ever. More power to all the Jocks in the cockpits fighting for their country.
Ali

beau

Well as far as I know..........the two Mig 21's shot down in the Gulf War by Two F/A-18's were the only Navy Kills of the war. It seems the AirFarce payed off the brass (not really) to get all of the CAP(F-15s) missions in the war and shot down like 20-30 aircraft. The Tomcats didnt get squat as far as I know........could be wrong.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

wali

Well, as long as US comes out to be on the winning side, I am just glad that we were victorious in every aspect. Our pilots are well trained and fighting for the right cause. May the Force be behind him. I am also sure that if any other Navy Pilot had a chance to see combat, they will come out victorious. God Bless America and the Men who defend Her.
Ali

Jack

Yeah, that picture is definitely a fake, that aircraft sitting on the cat tells you just how old that 'photo' is too. The A-3Ds have been gone for a long time.

The comment on the problem with two FOs... Imagine the guy driving a Prowler, he's got three.

The AF may have pulled the majority of CAP assignments in the Gulf, but they're all sure pretty upset with the secondary role their 15's and 16's are getting in Afghanistan. One more reason why requiring 10,000' of runway is just not cool.

jec

Status
Not open for further replies.