• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HM-14 sun down?

drgndrvr

pilot
Heard through the grapevine that there are plans to roll HM-14 and HM-12 into HM-15 and end the MH-53E program by 2023. Anyone here know more details?

drgndrvr

pilot
That news was interesting, considering the amount of resources spent to stand up HM-12 to make the HM community "normal" and the number of times any sun-downing action had been delayed.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Fake news.. Ain’t nothing official until Congress approves it. 2025 any maybe even beyond.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Fake news.. Ain’t nothing official until Congress approves it. 2025 any maybe even beyond.

Not necessarily, CNO shut down HSC-84/85 back in 2015 and it took an act of Congress to prevent it, and then Congress only saved HSC-85. Unless HM-14 and HM-12 are some sort of strategic national asset (I doubt it), and this rumor is actually true, it'd most likely take an act of Congress to save them.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Has the 60 taken up the sled mission? If not I don’t think 53s are going anywhere

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
ALMDS is a joke and the other “MIW” packages for the Sierra are as well. An H60 cannot safety tow the Q24, and certainly not the Mk105 sked. HSC doesn’t want the mission set as it is.. Trust me, we all want to see the Dragon off into the sunset when the time is right, but until then someone has to do the mission. And the only airframe that can do it is the MH-53E.

Pags

N/A
pilot
ALMDS is a joke and the other “MIW” packages for the Sierra are as well. An H60 cannot safety tow the Q24, and certainly not the Mk105 sked. HSC doesn’t want the mission set as it is.. Trust me, we all want to see the Dragon off into the sunset when the time is right, but until then someone has to do the mission. And the only airframe that can do it is the MH-53E.
60 towed sonar was the Q-20, not the 24. Also, 60 was never going to try and tow the Mk105, the analogous system for the 60 was the OASIS.

I believe NAVSEA is developing UUVs as a future tow vehicle.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

From the original post, the 53 isn't going anywhere, the squadrons are just restructuring. Since the rumored plan doesn't completely cut the 53, I'd be surprised if anyone outside of the Navy gives a shit.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
'21, '22, '23 for 14, then 12, then 15 respectively. push back was given in favor of 2025. but the community isnt going anywhere without a viable replacement for the mission which there isnt.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've seen briefs showing skeds of how the 53 is going away for over a decade and they've been out there even longer than I've been reading them. Unfortunately for the HM community, we've seen this movie before and know how it ends. All the work to make the HM community healthy and normal will be undone due to financial constraints. HM will go back to doing whatever is needed to accomplish the mission to include gundecking and flying down aircraft. Community leadership will allow it because they'll convince themselves that if they don't fly down and broken airplanes that the community will go away because they didn't complete the mission. And then because the airplanes are ancient and busted no one will have any flight hours and everyone will spend all their time FCFing. And then the community will become insular from the rest of naval aviation and theyll start doing lots of other dumb things to get the mission done. And then people will crash airplanes and people will probably die.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I've seen briefs showing skeds of how the 53 is going away for over a decade and they've been out there even longer than I've been reading them. Unfortunately for the HM community, we've seen this movie before and know how it ends. All the work to make the HM community healthy and normal will be undone due to financial constraints. HM will go back to doing whatever is needed to accomplish the mission to include gundecking and flying down aircraft. Community leadership will allow it because they'll convince themselves that if they don't fly down and broken airplanes that the community will go away because they didn't complete the mission. And then because the airplanes are ancient and busted no one will have any flight hours and everyone will spend all their time FCFing. And then the community will become insular from the rest of naval aviation and theyll start doing lots of other dumb things to get the mission done. And then people will crash airplanes and people will probably die.
Thanks a bunch Johnny Rain-cloud.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Big navy doesn’t really care about MCM and Congress barely does. Wouldn’t surprise me if HM is horse traded for something more popular.