• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HK45 article from Shotgun News

stevew

I think the last 3 lines of the article pretty much summed the whole thing up. Other manufacturers are coming out with .45's that have larger and larger mag capacity while HK is taking a step backwards. The USP currently holds 12 rounds while the new HK45 only holds 10 rounds. Doesn't impress me really. The only real advantage is that it has standard milspec rail instead of the HK proprietary rail. The better ergonomics doesn't realy sell me on this. I have relatively big hands, my Sig P226 is on the small side for me and my Mark 23 only feels "slightly" to large for me, as compared to the "boat anchor" that others refer to it as.

In short I think the HK45 is a step backwards from the current USP model.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
stevew said:
.... I think the HK45 is a step backwards from the current USP model.
Two words: market pressure (read: $$$$).

And I believe H&K is also looking to incorporate this model into the competition for the new USGI pistol. Military contracts + civilian retail sales = smart marketing and
[SIZE=-1]über profits[/SIZE].

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Yeah, but keep in mind that most of the population doesn't have relatively big hands. I like the USP myself; but given a choice between a hard checkered grip or a more ergonomic rubberized-type backstrap that's interchangeable to match my hand (like on the P2000) plus the o-ring barrel like the tactical models and Mk 23, I'll take a bit of comfort. Yeah, the objective is to put a hole in the bad guy, but it doesn't mean I have to sacrifice comfort in the process. Comfort = less shooter fatigue = longer rate of accurate fire.

A4s is dead on (no pun) - H&K is simultaneously courting two large markets in both the military and the civilian side, and in the process they stand to rake in a buttload of cash. As more reviews show up and the pistols make it out to ranges for trial/rental we'll be able to make an informed judgement. I'm willing to wait a bit instead of plunking down for a P2000 or USP Tac right now. If it's not all it's cracked up to be, then I still have options.

The advantage of a smaller magazine makes for either a slimmer grip, a smaller weapon, or both. Shouldn't be much larger than a 1911 (I've seen the specs but am just too lazy to go looking right now). This allows for more carry options (including concealed carry). Compact models will be avail as well. Try that with a Mk 23 - know what I mean?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
but my gut instinct is that this guy wouldn't recognize subjectivity if it bit him in the a$$.

Be very wary of gun magazine reviews. The authors are usually being paid.

Not to discount Shotgun News, you can get some great deals from them... just a comment.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Agreed...only real test will be for normal, everyday owners to have a crack at one on a range and decide for themselves (which is why I'm waiting).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I can vouch for how well respected Larry Vickers is in the 1911 community - the fact that HK had his help on the HK45 says a lot in it's own right. Not something to be minimized.

HK really wants this pistol contract - the DOD really wants HK to have this pistol contract. Every lesson learned doc to come out of theatre espouses the need for a better combat pistol and how then M9 has really run it's course in the US Military.

You can bet the arms procurement guys at Aberdeen Proving Grounds are all over this pistol - I think it may be a done deal the way the JCP requirements are written.

Just my 2 cents.

T

TXHusker05

The only reason the M9 was favored over the SIG Sauer P226 in the first place was because Beretta agreed to manufacture the weapons in a US based facility and SIG wouldn't. Would H&K manufacture their weapons in America?

I honestly do not like the Beretta 92FS series, it is awkward to hold for me (until I replaced the grips) and it just doesn't seem "right." The SIG meanwhile is a perfect fit. I would be in favor of an H&K military contract as well if it was for a .45 caliber pistol only. I think there should be dual contracts for sidearms. A 9mm SIG and a .45 H&K. Although the new Marine ICQB Kimber .45 (the Warrior) is a great weapon that could do the job too. As a 1911 fan, I say bring that back.

Ha, after re-reading my post... it was pretty inconclusive. I guess what I am saying is those 3 are exponentially better than the Beretta which needs to be replaced. That was a stupid contract to begin with.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Beretta was chosen because it was slightly less expensive. When Berettas started blowing up in SEAL's faces for using +P+ ammo, they switched to SIG. I don't think being made out of country was a problem.

SIG has a factory is Exeter, NH. Not sure when it was built.

MasterBates

I think 1911's in Condition3 is appropriate for carry in the cockpit. That said, the SIG they issue us (M11) is far better than the M9. And it comes in 45ACP as well