• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Historical Research

GroundPounder

Yes, although that excuse is more painful to me personally.

I feel like an 85 year old man complaining about how much cheaper things used to be.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
NARA got hit hard by COVID and is having serious staffing issues. They have a 2 year backlog.
Received an email from NARA stating they needed more info for 2 sets of records I requested. Also, I finally received a letter in the mail with the 1st set of records I requested so finally some success.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Trying to find the ship crests for a couple of WW2 era ships but no luck - thought I would ask.

An example would be this for USS Missouri:

1678289022419.jpeg

USS Oberrender DE-344

1678287507114.jpeg

USS Oregon City CA-122

1678288872517.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Trying to find the ship crests for a couple of WW2 era ships but no luck - thought I would ask.

An example would be this for USS Missouri:

View attachment 37748

USS Oberrender DE-344

View attachment 37746

USS Oregon City CA-122

View attachment 37747
I doubt you’ll find them for either. The WWII DE’s were produced so fast the heraldry guys probably never got close to a design - especially as the Oberender was struck off over seas. To me the biggest surprise is the absolute waste that was the Oregon City…essentially built, commissioned, worked through shakedowns and then decommissioned! That’s too short a life. Still, I’ll check with the people I know at IoH and see if they have anything.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt you’ll find them for either. The WWII DE’s were produced so fast the heraldry guys probably never got close to a design - especially as the Oberender was struck off over seas. To me the biggest surprise is the absolute waste that was the Oregon City…essentially built, commissioned, worked through shakedowns and then decommissioned! That’s too short a life. Still, I’ll check with the people I know at IoH and see if they have anything.

How old is the US Navy ship crest program (for lack of a better word)? I don't recall seeing them for WWII ships unless they were in commission long after the war.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
How old is the US Navy ship crest program (for lack of a better word)? I don't recall seeing them for WWII ships unless they were in commission long after the war.
Some capital ships like carriers and battleships had locally (internally) designed logos, but the heraldic crests we see today started after the Korean War with the creation of the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry. Before that the War Department had an office that approved designs that were created at the ship/unit/yard level.