• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High School Senior, Need Advice

Zakk

Hi everyone, first time posting here and I really need help. So some background, I've always been loosely interested in helicopters and planes because my dad was. We'd go to air shows but I never understood too much. I had planned to be a doctor after high school. That is, until a few weeks ago talking to him. He wanted to be a pilot but never thought he'd make it and never tried. Now I have that opportunity and I plan on taking it. I, like many others I'm sure, want to become a pilot for the navy. I want to fly jets and I would assume you have to be one of the best in your class. At this point, I'm ready to grow up and get my head in the books to become that. So that's where I really need help, just getting to that point to become a pilot. I was thinking NROTC, but my GPA isn't competitive for that or even a high grade university right now. For reference, it's currently sitting at about a 2.45. That's what I get for slacking off and not taking it seriously enough. Seeing as scoring a high SAT may get me placed in a good university, but not the NROTC program, there's still the GPA I need to compensate for. So my plan was knocking out 2 years at a community college in a town of a university that has NROTC (I'm thinking San Diego, 2 universities have NROTC but are competitive) and getting my GPA up. After then I was wanting to get into an NROTC program. Basically, my preference would be getting into NROTC ASAP if that's possible. Because I wanted to be a doctor as a kid, I was planning on majoring in something in the medial field and minoring in aeronautical, flying related courses. That would be helpful to have a guideline on what to take that could help me prepare as well. But otherwise, I feel that would be a good back up plan for after the military or in case it doesn't work out. Besides that, I've heard of OCS but wouldn't that only be for if I had my bachelors degree and I was going into the navy? I'd really like to get my college paid for, so that's why I was thinking the community college for 2 years. But besides that, I believe I would qualify physically. I have a clean record, no driving infractions, just turned 18 on the first, and I don't have any medical conditions or prescriptions. Going on what I said before, my dad has his PPL for helicopters (though because of financial reasons, he cannot fly anymore) and he gave me a manual for private pilots that I could begin reading now and have concepts to go off of when I get to training. I just need help on how to get there. I talked to a local enlisted navy recruiter today about my plan and because she didn't know too much about a pilot's path, she gave me the officer recruiter's number. I called him and he basically said I have a good plan and that I need to get a bachelors first. This is also where I don't know if he was bullshitting. He said being in the reserves in college could help me get to becoming a pilot for financial aid and because of prior experience (which in his words, is very appealing to the navy). I don't know if that's bullshit. I would commit to the navy now, but I just don't want to commit only to find out I can't become what I want to be and be required to serve my term sweeping floors. So I just need help, what should I do at this point, and is my current plan a good or a bad one? What can help me get there at this point? Thank you everyone

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I went to a community college for two years and transferred into a 4 year school. I was accepted into the Marine Corps Officer Program before I had been accepted into the University. That was back in 2003 though and it was a different time manning wise. That route is possible though.

I can say this for certain: no matter where you start college you need to do very well right away. A low grade point average like the one you currently have in high school isn't going to get you anywhere. You said you were planning on being pre-med but aren't accepted into a school in February of your senior year and are rocking a 2.5 GPA? I don't think you've been realistic about your goals.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with Doc T. As a H.S. senior you are behind the power curve college/ROTC wise. But, you can still do this! It is getting late for a major university application now. Just go to community college. Get awesome grades straight out. Major in something you will find interesting, if not fun, so you are more likely to get good grades. Getting a NROTC scholarship at the 2 or 3 year point these days is tough. Plan on paying for school and going on to OCS.

Don't be discouraged. You can still achieve your goals. It will take hard work and focus. Good luck.

Zakk

Yea times are definitely changing and it seems it's getting more and more competitive. As you would imagine, I wish I would've had a good plan about a year ago but things happen and it didn't work out that way. What matters now is that I'm actually thinking seriously about this and trying my best to learn where to go and what to do So what you're saying is if I go to community college and do really well, I can aim for ROTC but if I end up not getting accepted, I can realistically go through OCS after college? Are there any prerequisites besides a bachelors degree to even get into OCS?

Chud

None
Zakk,
a couple of things, talk to an enlisted recruiter if you want to enlist, an officer recruiter if you want to go to OCS, and your NROTC unit if you want to go that path. Not efficient, but how it works. You are doing the correct thing and asking questions. Talk to as many people as you can who are knowledgeable of the subject, but you must make your own decision at the end of the day.
if you are a HS senior (I am inferring) with a 2.45 and haven't taken the SAT or ACT by now, you are way late for this year. However, it is not the end of the world. If you are serious about it, look at a CC that has a crosstown with a NROTC Consortium (such as SDSU/USD) and apply to the College program. Rock your first year or two and apply for a 3 or 2 year through the program. Beware, some schools are more selective about their College program, esp ones that pull in a lot of national scholarships - they can handle only so many Midshipmen a year, and priority goes to scholarship holders. San Diego and LA consortiums are pretty large units, as are Arizona and AZ State. Be prepared to expand your search.
NROTC does not make Doctors, so do not count on that path. NROTC exists to make surface warfare officers, submariners (Nuclear), aviators (Pilot/NFO) and specwar (SEAL/EOD).
NROTC does not guarantee aviation-it is a competitive process that is overwhelmingly driven by the needs of the Navy and how you perform as a Midn (GPA, aptitude and ASTB score) against your peers.
If your recruiter is recommending the reserves, he is thinking OCS, as prior experience does help, and probably does help with financials as you do get paid for your reserve time. However, you are correct about being wary of getting involved passed on loose inferences. Make informed decisions, and get it in writing.

Zakk

Chud, that was a great answer that had a lot of what I was looking for. You're right, I am a senior. I took the SAT already and I get my scores on the 10th but I'm planning on retaking it because I already feel I didn't do the best of my ability. I talked to one of my teachers last week and he gave me a lead by saying many of the high ranking universities will have a program with community colleges where if you perform well for the first 2 years, you can transfer over and have a reserved spot. I was really considering this. Do you have any idea the best way to find out about the college program you're referencing?

Zakk

Just an update as its been a few days since I visited this thread, and I'd also like to help anyone in a similar position as me. I've been researching further into community colleges in the San Diego area, and I found one that looks very promising. It's called San Diego Mesa Community College. It has classes that align with aerospace engineering and that can be transferred over to the universities in San Diego. It's one of the best junior colleges in California and it has transfer agreements with both UCSD and USD. Been thinking about getting a dual degree in aerospace engineering and something like human phsiology because math is a weak point of mine, but I'm willing to take as many steps as possible to get good grades in those classes in college. I also tried calling the NROTC officer at UCSD but got sent to voicemail. I left him my number and said I had some questions about the program and my eligibility or potential eligibility for it. Haven't heard back. ROTC is something I'd really like to get into, but I have been researching more and more and I learned that you don't have a guaranteed flight spot. OCS however, supposably lets you sign a contract to get a spot. Does anyone know anything about this, and may I ask what the best routes are? Also, does anyone know what good steps to take at this point in my life would be to become an aviator would be? I'm willing to go through 4 years of college as a civilian, but I'd really like to take advantage of the 2 year ride I could get through the NROTC. I don't have a lot of money to get through college on my own and I've made a large goal to not take out any student loans because they bite you in the ass and steal away your money. I've started applying for fafsa and I plan on sitting down this week and applying for lots and lots of scholarships. So if anyone has any recommendations on what to do, I would love to hear them. I'm also reading a private pilot manual that my dad is lending me to familiarize myself with the concepts of flight early. I'm on a tight budget but I was thinking about investing in myself by buying some study guides for the ASTB, ASVAB, and SAT tests when I get my taxes back. Otherwise I've made a conscious effort to budget my money and save for college. One other big question I'd like to ask, is how competitive are flight spots in the Navy currently? And what can you do to set yourself apart?

Zakk

I'd also like to say, it seems like OCS is an option even if ROTC doesn't work out and that makes me really glad. Final questions before I forget, is it a good idea right now to jump onto the swim team at my high school, or possibly join track? Is joining a club and doing a lot of community service at this point going to help me look better in the eyes of not only the NROTC, but OCS and the Navy as a whole? If it helps too, I have a lot of teachers at my school that see a lot of potential in me and realize my GPA is in no way a good reflection of my abilities and academics, and would therefore gladly write letters of recommendation. I would seek them out and ask them if it helps. At this point, I'd just like to do whatever I can to not only leave my shitty town, but help better my future and chances of success in not only the military, but in college and my career.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Joiners" are fairly obvious on an application. Didn't do much in the way of extra-curriculars, sports, or volunteerism until senior year, then suddenly joined a bunch of shit? Obvious college application fluffing. It probably wouldn't hurt, but almost certain not to help, either.

By your own account, you fucked around in high school, and your transcript shows it. So you've got some work to do before you can even think about being picked up for competitive programs, like being a Navy officer (or medical school, for that matter). You've got a solid plan in finding a good CC, build a good GPA, get financial aid for a 4-year, then try for OCS. Now go execute it.

Chud

None
Don't just send an e mail or a voice mail with the NROTC unit. They are busy, and receive a lot of random 'I have questions" calls. Keep calling, or better yet, call the admin and make an appointment. Show that you want it.
As for the rest, oh boy. Easier to have that discussion in person. Bottom line though, read the boards here on the different subjects you ask about, most of them are answered one way or another. Then discuss with the NROTC recruiter and/or the Officer recruiter. If you have specific questions, then ask them here.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
"Joiners" are fairly obvious on an application. Didn't do much in the way of extra-curriculars, sports, or volunteerism until senior year, then suddenly joined a bunch of shit? Obvious college application fluffing. It probably wouldn't hurt, but almost certain not to help, either.

By your own account, you fucked around in high school, and your transcript shows it. So you've got some work to do before you can even think about being picked up for competitive programs, like being a Navy officer (or medical school, for that matter). You've got a solid plan in finding a good CC, build a good GPA, get financial aid for a 4-year, then try for OCS. Now go execute it.
To take this one step further:

No one cares about a list of clubs or athletic activities. They care about whether you held a position and your accomplishments.

Eg: (no one cares) I played on the basketball team for 4 years.

(Someone will care): Captain of the basketball team. Selected 2x all county, won regional championship 2014.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I might get some heat for saying the E word, but going the enlisted route is not such a bad plan. By joining the Navy Reserve, you go to boot camp, A-school (whatever your trade is), then come back and drill one weekend a month + two weeks a year at the local reserve center. It's a way to help get your foot in the door with the Navy and means to get extra $$ to help out with tuition. I had a former applicant who enlisted in the reserves when he was 18, started college when he came back after boot camp/training, and applied and got accepted to become a Pilot when he was done with his degree. It's do-able, you just have to improve on your academic and study skills.

Chud

None
E is an option, however "Members of reserve components must be conditionally released from their
present enlistment contract and enlisted under the provisions of the NROTC Program to facilitate Scholarship or College Program Advanced Standing enrollment." (NSTC1533.2A)
So be careful about enlisting in the reserves if you want to go NROTC, as there is no guarantee of getting released from your Reserve obligation to accept advanced standing or a NROTC scholarship.

I can not speak to OCS requirements if on a reserve enlistment.

Zakk

The idea of application fluffing is reasonable. I only played football freshman year but held a position as a counselor for an outdoor school last year and plan on going again this year. Though its 5th graders, it's a position of leadership I suppose. Would an NROTC admin's number be on a university's website? It's difficult and annoying asking these questions coming from a point of disadvantage because most of these officers already have an unfair advantage over me. Not saying they didn't earn it but not everyone has had a starting point like that and I look reading about stories of underdogs like myself rising to a point of power and mark my words, I will get there no matter what I have to sacrifice and do to reach that point.