• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High School Early Graduation

cblack

I am going to be graduating a year early from high school, after my junior year. I just started my sophomore year last week. I am going to be applying to the USNA and applying for an NROTC scholarship among other universities and scholarships when that time comes. My question is, will graduating a year early from high school make me less competitive for acceptance to the Adademy or acceptance for an NROTC scholarship?

I have something like a 4.24 GPA. I am taking as many advanced classes as I can, 2 AP classes this year and one last year, with many honors classes combined. I plan to keep this up next year but also take some dual enrollment classes at the local community college. I was in one club last year, and looking to get more involved this year. The one area I see really hurting me is that I don't play any sports.

Also, before posting this, I e-mailed the admissions department at the Academy and what I recieved in a reply e-mail was the minimum admissions requirements.

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I am going to be graduating a year early from high school, after my junior year. I just started my sophomore year last week. I am going to be applying to the USNA and applying for an NROTC scholarship among other universities and scholarships when that time comes. My question is, will graduating a year early from high school make me less competitive for acceptance to the Adademy or acceptance for an NROTC scholarship?

I have something like a 4.24 GPA. I am taking as many advanced classes as I can, 2 AP classes this year and one last year, with many honors classes combined. I plan to keep this up next year but also take some dual enrollment classes at the local community college. I was in one club last year, and looking to get more involved this year. The one area I see really hurting me is that I don't play any sports.

Also, before posting this, I e-mailed the admissions department at the Academy and what I recieved in a reply e-mail was the minimum admissions requirements.

Thank you, any advice is appreciated.

By graduating a year early will you still meet the min requirements? If so, then why would it hurt you?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind that the academy is not going to accept transfer credit if you do duel enrollment. You may be able to validate some stuff by taking the academy's tests, but thats about it. I think not being more involved or playing sports is going to be your biggest detractor.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind that the academy is not going to accept transfer credit if you do duel enrollment. You may be able to validate some stuff by taking the academy's tests, but thats about it. I think not being more involved or playing sports is going to be your biggest detractor.

Is that like going to Michigan and Ohio State at the same time?

Daisy

From what I have seen over the years... (unless you are a stellar applicant otherwise) being at the minimum age is a disadvantage. One student I know had nominations from both his senator and congressman and was denied at USNA and USAFA. He got an appointment to USMMA but was asked to complete a year at NMMI before matriculating at MMA.

Being young should not hurt your admissions at any universities or colleges that I know of. I am not sure how your age will influence NROTC scholarship viability. But my guess is that it will. 1400+ SAT scores should be your goal to compensate.

Good luck :)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Since the SAT's are now on a 2400 point scale, a 1400+ shouldn't be too difficult to get ;)

Daisy

^^^^^ Funny :) It would be nice if it were that easy. The scale is 1400/1600. Just the math and critical reading scores. The writing portion of the SAT is not required for scholarship selection. SAT subject test scores are not considered either currently. However, at competitive colleges and universities SAT subject tests and the writing portion of the SAT are required..

I try to get students to think about it this way. A strong application to a competitive college bodes well for ROTC scholarship selection.