• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey ya'll, I got a question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

I just went to the eye doctor and missed 2 letters on the 20/20 line with my left eye. If I squint Im good, but I know it doesnt count. How many do I need to miss to not be 20/20. Yes I know NOMI is allowing 20/40, but I wont be seeing NOMI till 2004-2005. So Im worried and hope my vision doesnt get worse. Funny thing, when I saw the doc 2 weeks ago I was 20/16. Whats wrong with me?? Geez, hope I dont seem to be pathetic........my family thinks so! Thanks everybody for answering my novels :)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What do you mean squinting doesn't count? Everything counts at the eye test. Before you do an eye test, get plenty of sleep and stay HYDRATED! Only water. Caffeine will effect your vision. If they are having you do the eye test in a machine request the "cards." You'll have to read from the 20' line in natural light and for near vision read a small printed card attached to a stick that has a chin rest. Many folks have difficulty reading the machines, you can request other methods. I've been lucky enough to beat the eye test since 1986. Still 20/20. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

JasonG

Thanks Frumby, I mentioned squinting as a no no because I was told that the docs make you do the test over if you squint. I was also told by my recruiter that anything past 20/20 and you can fly, but only helos and props. Weird stuff. I just hope that IF my vision does worsen by my flight phys (4 years from now) that the Navy will still need pilots BAD and the minimum will be 20/40. See you in the air!!

JasonG

Also.........whats up with the spin and puke????? Can you fail it and how? I just read a vague description. Looks weird but cool. Im afraid of panicking on other stuff like the helo dunker. Hope I have a cool head.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No the Docs won't make you test over. Vision requirements are the same for all bearers of wings of gold. Spin and puke is not a pass/fail item. The helo dunker is actually fun. I've done it many, many, many times. When I was the Battalion air officer in a grunt Battalion, I had to help train 1100 Marines in the Helo dunker. Who do you think went first to show them how easy it is. Quit your worrying and just ENJOY the training. Instructors will let you know if you screw it up and you will always get another chance. Listen intently to all your instructors and act professionally if you fall on your sword occasionally. If you whine, your gone. Remember a "Sir" sandwich is more flavorful then a "yea" cracker. Good luck and who was that Marine Snake driver that you know? Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

JasonG

The Marine pilot is a Snake driver by the name of Major Steve Peters. Thanks for the help on my questions , I appreciate it. By the way what college did you attend? Major? I was just reading Bogeys and Bandits and Airwarriors. Seems like most Naval aviators come from BIG 10 universities or Annapolis with AERO Eng degrees or some tech degree.
Thanks again.

Dave Shutter

That was during the "fine-mesh" post-Clinton drawdown era, when they had 3 times as many pilot applicants as they needed. The fact that my application was considered in the first place this FY should tell you that that era is quite dead and gone...for now. When I left the Army in 93' you could see the first signs of a drawdown in the works. Senior NCO's were offered early-retirement left and right and younger enlisted guys were being offered out of their contracts with full benefits. Things were tight and about to get a whole lot tighter! If I had a crystal ball when I enlisted I would have signed up for 4 years, got the 24K for college (it's over twice that now) and gotten out after 2!

What was it like in the Corps during all those lean years Frumby?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 06/23/2001 23:47:26

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh, I went to one of those big fancy schools: Cal State Uni at Long Beach. I had one of those big fancy degrees: Criminal Law. Attitude will get you farther then education, sometimes. Unless you want to go to TPS(Test Pilot School)you don't need an engineering degree. If you enjoy engineering , by all means go for it. I still have thoughts of going to Law School. My point is, don't stereotype yourself. I applied to flight school right AFTER that damn movie Top Gun came out. Just as a point, most of the Academy guys that I know were Political Science majors. They could get good grades and select what they wanted to do in the Navy before the engineers because they usually had lower GPA's. The academy, for MOS selection, does not look at your major just your GPA. There war cry is "Poly Sci! Gonna Fly!"
From 86-90, The military was great. Then we got bitch slapped by Tailhook '91 and then Slick Willy. I found myself deployed more but reduced flying. Aircraft were down for lack of parts. Last year, VMFAT-101(USMC Hornet RAG) in Miramar had 23 of 24 aircraft DOWN for maintenance because they did not have the parts or the manpower to fix the jets. The F-18 is the easiest of the Navy/USMC jets to fix. Can you imagine what the other platforms were like. I think the coming years should be better. It can't get much worse. Frumby

P.S. I don't want to read any comments from any of you Democrats because until you have walk a mile in my shoes, you just do not have the clout.

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

quote:The F-18 is the easiest of the Navy/USMC jets to fix...

And the newest! (well, except for that T-45 that has a Marine paint job) Jeez, what's life like for a 46' or a 53' mechanic. My first recruiter was a prior enlisted Marine helo mechanic (53's I think) he said point blank that they worked miracles on a dialy basis with the obligatory "duct tape, bailing wire and chewing gum" remark. I laughed and he looked me dead in the face and said he wasn't kidding.

D

Tahoe

Frumby,

I know what you mean about Spare Parts. I work for a defense contractor that does a lot of work on MK 45's, VLS, and various other Marine/Navy weapons. We'd go out there to do Field work on these systems and they are held together with bubble gum! The new FY02 Budget has 8 Billion in it for spare parts-much more than before. Hopefully that will help get things up and keep them running!!

Hope things are going well..

-Dave

gunnerdd972

When I was on board the USS Oldendorf, my fellow GM's and I came up with up "different" ways to keep the guns shooting. One of our adujustable power supplies would read under volatage from time to time. We adjusted the damm thing all the way up but it still would read under volatage. So being Gunner's Mates we just hit the damm cooling fins with a wooden hammer, BAM the thing was fixed. On MT 52 the main piston that operated the breach block had a O-ring that went bad, so the thing leaked fluid all over the place. When we finaly recived the new O-ring, we did not know how to take the piston out to replace the O-ring. So being Gunner's Mates we did the next best thing, we cut the new O-ring with a razorblade and used supperglue that the Cheif gave us to glue the O-ring back together once it was around the piston. Worked like a charm, the gun did not rain fluid on us when the pumps were turned on. And is some cases we would use cut up soda cans as spacers so bolt holes would line up. When you are in the middle of the ocean and don't have the parts onboard, you have to use any means to keep the guns in operation.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Dave Shutter

Gunner...are we talking about 5 incher's? BTW, tell Chief Gus I said hi! I had a long talk with him the other week, man let me tell you, you are lucky to have him!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.