• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

hey Jack, question for ya, bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hey bud,

i was reading in the latest Journel of Electronic Defense that the Navy is planning on acquiring at least 44 E/A-18G Growler's by fiscal year 04, and continue acquiring ~50 a year until '09 ... and slowly phase out the E/A-6 over the same time period, including phasing out all Marine Prowler squadrons ...... you hearing anything like that up there?

growler.jpg

Jack

Jarhead - My biggest question in response to your question is what do they mean by "acquire"... If that means they are going to say, yes - we are giong to buy them, and appropriate the money - then maybe that article is correct. If they mean that we will start seeing EA-18 at the FRS in FY '04 - it is not correct. I recently received a brief from the Boeing R and D guys who were up here for a few weeks. I, having heard what they have to say and knowing what I do from our AOMs, do not believe we'll see an EA-18 up here until sometime around calender year '07-'08. The most frustrating part is that the aircraft is in place. Its been tested, evaluated, and tested some more. But because it is being considered a new acquisition it must fight its way throught the obligatory red tape.

The Marines are not jumping on board with the EA-18. They are going to continue flying the EA-6B Block 89A ICAP III aircraft. This will be the latest and greatest Prowler, stopping short of opening the Grumann line in BethPage Long Island and building an EA-6C. The Block 89A ICAP III will be a fairly modern cockpit with upgraded back seat secret squirrel stuff. As long as the wing spar cracking and engine refits continue to receive their due attention they ( USMC aviation ) should be ok for some time to come in the EA spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.