• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hero Ceremony

beaverslayer

pilot
This was written by my friend's cousin, who is in Afghanistan right now. I read the story and thought I would share with you all. He describes what he saw the night of the hero ceremony for the two fallen soldiers from Oklahoma, Second Lt. ***, 33, of Edmond, and Spc. ***, 22, of Broken Arrow. It struck me and reminded me to pray for our soldiers every day and that freedom comes with a price.

"Tonight I experienced something that I will truly never forget. As I was preparing to go to bed this evening I heard the loud speakers all over the base announce “Hero Ceremony” in 10 minutes at the terminal. I knew that this ceremony was coming because of recent events our battalion experienced, but did not know it would be so soon. Giving a 10 minute warning would not be enough time for many soldiers to make it to the ceremony. Especially at 11:00 at night.
As I begin my walk to the terminal I saw something I didn’t expect. I saw many red, white, and blue miniature flashlights moving back and forth ahead of me. It was literally hundreds of soldiers from all over the base that had stopped everything and chose to attend the ceremony. I never expected so many at such short notice. As I arrived at the terminal there were soldiers already standing quietly in two rows facing towards each other. The rows were about 15 feet from each other and everyone was standing with there hands behind their backs and all had their hats off. Nobody spoke a word. We were then instructed to walk single file in two columns out onto the airstrip and reform our two rows facing each other. On one end of the two rows was a C-130 with engines running and ready to take off.
It was very dark outside and all you could see was the stars over your head. We stood waiting for about 30 minutes but nobody said a word of complaint. As I waited I looked around and was still so surprised at how many had taken the time to show up. There must have been 250+ soldiers standing there absolutely silent. Then I heard the dull rumble of a humvee coming from the opposite end of the rows from the plane. The hazard lights were flashing with headlights off and it began moving between the two rows. Then a voice yelled “Task Force Attention!!!” We all snapped to attention and like dominoes saluted the two fallen soldiers as they passed by in the ambulance on their way to the plane that would take them home for the last time. Two Oklahomans who chose to stand up and fight for what was right. Two Oklahomans who chose to leave their families in order to fight for others. Two Oklahomans who made the ultimate sacrifice for God and their country.
After the pall bearers loaded the plane with the fallen, the chaplain had all of us take one knee, rifle in hand, and we all bowed in prayer. We prayed for the soldiers lost, their families, and for all those who will miss them. It was a awesome sight to see. This ceremony gave me a renewed since of patriotism and reaffirmed that…
I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN AND FREEDOM DOESN’T COME FREE!!!!"